Test cells?!

Lehcar

Holy smokes, has anyone else tried using the console to explore the test cells that were left in the game by Bethesda?

Most of them are empty or uninteresting, but the "Testing Hall"?? Woaah, this might be one of the most intriguing places in Oblivion, which I am currently still exploring. You should explore it if you haven't, it's REALLY awesome.

In the Clothing test room I found a full set of non-enchanted, but unique and VERY awesome looking armor called "Archmage Armor", which I do not recall ever seeing in the game. Is this content that was cut from the game, or could it have been added by a mod? Hmmm I'm confused, unsure why Beth would let incredible meshes like that go to waste.

There's a lot of other cool stuff in there, too. Like full sets of every armor set in the game, every weapon in the game, every piece of clothing in the game, including copies of all of the quest rings and amulets, so you can get another Dreamworld Amulet, Thornblade Medallion, and Amulet of Kings. Everyone should check this out. :D

I've also discovered it to be an excellent place to test out clothing/armor/weapon mesh and texture replacers.

Edited by Lehcar

I don't recall any Archmage Armor. I bet one of your mods edited the Testing Hall to place the armor there for testing during mod construction.

One thing that is bad is that some people edit the Testing Hall to turn it into a dungeon or house or whatever. That is unwise because some other modder might do the same and create a conflict. So if people want to use the testing hall for a purpose like that, they should duplicate it, then they can do whatever they want with their new cell. In my mods, I just build small custom testing halls instead of placing my new objects and NPCs in the original Testing Hall.

Hmm well strangely, when I was exploring Beth's test town Hawkhaven, the game kept crediting me for kills I didn't make. When you enter the town all of the monsters in the creature testing area nearby immediately start fighting with each other; I stayed away and didn't get their notice, but I have oblivion XP and it kept saying, for example, "253.3 XP: Killed Marauder Battlemage, level 6" even though it was one of the Xivilai that killed her, not me. Lol, weird.