Oblivion wont let me start new game/ load existing

redheadorigami

(WARNING, DONT LOOK UP SEXY MAID OF CHORROL IF YOU DONT WANT ADULT CONTENT)

Whats up guys.

So I have this problem, Ive been trying to play Sexy Maid of Chorrol for a few days now, and Ive gotten help from the creator, LOTS of help.

But now, that problem is no longer the biggest.

If you read the description of the mod itself, you will Shivering Isles is required, so I downloaded the expansion, as well as some others.

The minute I installed both the mod itself and SI, I jumped onto the shortcut, tried to load a previous game, but it came up with a message stating : "None of the master files used in this saved game are loaded, returning to game."

So, I reinstalled Oblivion, this time not installing Shivering Isles, clicked on Oblivion, worked fine, no message, and no other insecurities I was aware of.

Then, I installed SI, without SMC, to test which one caused the problem, SI caused the problem.

Are there any ways to deal with this?

Screenshots of what ive got:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6064244183_7f30c99da6_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6064792608_4369064b7a_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6064792706_258226d08c_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6064244803_ee00fa4028_z.jpg

You probably need to install Oblivion, THEN Shivering Isles, THEN apply the official Shivering Isles patch. Don't patch Oblivion before adding Shivering Isles

You are also on Windows 7 - this can cause massive problems with installing mods - AND official DLCs - follow the reinstall procedurte listed below to shift your game directory, then try.

Cut'n'paste from my generic recommended basic setup follows

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7and are thinking of modding, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Unofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

OK - firstly - can you start a totally NEW game with shivering Isles installed?

Then - from the readme of SMC - Required Mods

* Oblivion Script Extender by the OBSE team

* Shivering Isles by Bethesda --- for those not playing the crossover, you may be able to get by without it, but you will be missing out on animations. For those playing the crossover, you need Shivering Isles otherwise you will get several missing textures, meshes, and other errors.

* Universal Silent Voice by Elys --- technically not required, but without it, the dialogue will move way too fast.

You didn't mention installing those? It will crash without them if the save game had them.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

1. Did you go through the complete uninstall part first? Uninstalling properly is VERY important.

2. Are the Oblivion and SI from 2 different sources - such as one from D2D and the other from Steam?

3. Are you using a no DVD crack? if so that is probably your problem. Even if you have not applied the crack to the Oblivion yet, Just having it on your computer can keep the game from installing properly. :rolleyes:

After completely uninstalling, install Oblivion first - DO NOT PATCH. Then start the game and make a save - this is important.

Then install SI, again start the game and make a save - Then install the SI ONLY patch for your language version.

Now test it before installing any mods at all.

If either Oblivion or SI is pirated then all bets are off and you are on your own as there are probably hundreds of various pirate versions out there all claiming to be original. :wallbash:

I just took a look at your screen shots. The first one gives it away - you have NOT patched your game to v1.2.0.416 as can be seen looking in the bottom left-hand corner. Look for error messages when you apply the patch - or when installing Shivering Isles which SHOULD (if the Game of the Year edition) patch the game automagically.

You're also running the game in a window - that can cause funny problems too, allegedly.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys, for reviving this old thread but i figured out my problem.

Because of the admin passage thing required to access the full version of Oblivion Mod Manager, the Install directory for the expansions did not go into the drive/oblivion/data whatever.

As well as the data folder files being checked, like the shiveringisles.esp, saying 'it could not find the data directory' yadayada even though it was still in the c:/ directory.

SHORT(If you have my problem) :

1.Dont Install obmm if you have the windows 7 version that i do.

2.Just leave it in its original install directory

3.If the mod doesnt run without obmm, screw it, leave the mod.