Lockpicking: Fallout 3 vs Oblivion

AxeAlot

Oblivion's lockpicking minigame was harder than Fallout 3's lockpicking minigame. But Oblivion's lockpicking system was easier in the sense that with a lockpicking skill of 5, you could attempt to unlock any lock you want. You just need to be good at the minigame, then no lock can stop you regardless of your security skill.

Fallout 3's minigame is somewhat easier, but there you can't actually attempt to lockpick a lock unless your lockpicking skill is high enough.

I thought FO3's was better: It has a higher focus on character skill rather than player skill (It's an RPG after all!), and the minigame is played quick and easy if your character is skilled enough, so it doesn't get tedious.

Edited by Povuholo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange .. I thought oblivion's was easier .. fallout 3 you HAD to have the skill level to try and pick the lock and even then the pick had to be perfectly set or you broke it with the slightest twist .. With Oblivion I could pick master level locks at level one .. I had the sounds and movements memorized perfectly... Both systems were good to me .. Oblivion's relied on YOUR skill and not your character's which isn't exactly an RPG thing but was fun if you were like me and got the system figured out .. Fallout 3's was more like an RPG should be and character based .. Maybe a nice mix of both styles would work best?

I think that would be the best idea, if they took what they liked from both games and combined the two!

I actually liked Oblivion's lock picking over Fallout 3's. In Oblivion skill level played a factor in the ease of it but if you had god tier dexterity with the mouse or thumbsticks on a controller you can pick any lock and I liked that. It made it to where there was a level of player skill involved rather than in Fallout where it was this mindlessly simple task to pick any lock and if you didn't have the skill you couldn't even make an attempt at it. In Oblivion there was no barrier of skill someone with 10 Security could tackle a very hard lock if they were good at the mini game while in Fallout you were s*** out of luck.

Oblivion's lock picking system may have been too hard for some but Fallout's was just garbage. I am extremely disappointed that they changed lock picking to be more like Fallout and will likely just ignore the skill and cheat with the console.

Edit: I actually know how to pick a lock and both Oblivion and Fallout are not even remotely realistic but the interaction with tumbler pins in Oblivion is a little more spot on than Fallout. Try twisting a hairpin in a lock like Fallout I bet you it won't do jack you need to find the sweet spot for all the tumblers with a pick then use what they call a wrench to engage the lock.

Edited by NAPALM13092

I actually liked Oblivion's lock picking over Fallout 3's. In Oblivion skill level played a factor in the ease of it but if you had god tier dexterity with the mouse or thumbsticks on a controller you can pick any lock and I liked that. It made it to where there was a level of player skill involved rather than in Fallout where it was this mindlessly simple task to pick any lock and if you didn't have the skill you couldn't even make an attempt at it. In Oblivion there was no barrier of skill someone with 10 Security could tackle a very hard lock if they were good at the mini game while in Fallout you were s*** out of luck.

Oblivion's lock picking system may have been too hard for some but Fallout's was just garbage. I am extremely disappointed that they changed lock picking to be more like Fallout and will likely just ignore the skill and cheat with the console.

Thats exactly what I was saying but I do have mixed feelings .. RPGs aren't about player skill they are about character skills and leveling them .. But at the same time I REALLY loved how the lockpicking made me feel like I was really there picking the lock and using MY skills .. soo.. its a hard call.. I wouldn't like it if sword fighting meant you had to really be able to fight with a sword in real life lols .. so I could see where a lot of people hated Oblivion's lockpicking

I actually know how to pick a lock and both Oblivion and Fallout are not even remotely realistic but the interaction with tumbler pins in Oblivion is a little more spot on than Fallout. Try twisting a hairpin in a lock like Fallout I bet you it won't do jack you need to find the sweet spot for all the tumblers with a pick then use what they call a wrench to engage the lock.

I like to think of oblivion as the "I'm not smart enough to use a tension wrench" way, were the player uses the same pick he is using for picking (or in the case of auto picking, raking) as his tension wrench, else he would only ever need the one pick. Also i want to know where they got the idea of a hairpin opening a lock? its not even practical

I would have liked to see the lock picking mini game from Oblivion, but with the minimum skill requirements of Fallout 3.

So long as they have good stuff in the boxes, I hate opening a hard box in Oblivion to find junk lol.

I would have liked to see the lock picking mini game from Oblivion, but with the minimum skill requirements of Fallout 3.

So long as they have good stuff in the boxes, I hate opening a hard box in Oblivion to find junk lol.

*spend 20 minutes opening a very hard lock with a security skill of 7*

*finally open the chest to get your hard-earned reward of 2 gold, yarn, and a pewter fork*

*spend 20 minutes opening a very hard lock with a security skill of 7*

*finally open the chest to get your hard-earned reward of 2 gold, yarn, and a pewter fork*

Soooo f***ing true LOL!