No classes or skills...

Lehcar

Classes in previous TES games were just arbitrary titles with a defined skill set attached to them anyway. In every single TES game I've played, I've always created my own custom class.

Exactly! I never quite liked the skill sets presented by the default classes, so I always made my own instead...and mayeb the perfectionist in me had tried one of those "pick major skills you'll never use" characters, as well. Happy to see them done away with.

I use everything. That is. . . Eventually. With every character I do everything but as I said I do it differently sometimes. Might be several dozen hours in the game I go for a mage. And I always use a custom class. Being a Knight makes me feel like I can't be a thief. I know I can still be a thief but my class makes me feel otherwise. I like the removal of it because of this and other various reasons.

The "classes" in the TES series were never true classes anyway. The point of a class system is, in theory, to restrict the player's ability to obtain certain overpowered combinations of abilities that are perfectly fine when used alone. For example, something like:

- The ability to attack at a distance.

- The ability to insta-kill someone who doesn't detect you.

The combination of the above two abilities is far more powerful than either one used alone, so to deal with this problem one solution is to break them up by splitting them into separate classes: That way, players can have one or the other but not both. TES's classes don't do this: Every character can always do everything if you put enough training into the respective skill.

The "classes" in the TES series were never true classes anyway. The point of a class system is, in theory, to restrict the player's ability to obtain certain overpowered combinations of abilities that are perfectly fine when used alone. For example, something like:

The combination of the above two abilities is far more powerful than either one used alone, so to deal with this problem one solution is to break them up by splitting them into separate classes: That way, players can have one or the other but not both. TES's classes don't do this: Every character can always do everything if you put enough training into the respective skill.

Actually I am pretty sure Daggerfall and the ones before Morrowind did this. If you were are Warrior you would have no Magick at all. If you were a Thief you couldn't wear heavy type armor, something like that if I remember. But for Morrowind and up, yes I agree with you.

Really? That's news to me then: I haven't played any of the pre-Morrowind stuff aside from messing with the character creation screen in Daggerfall... then proceeding to get mauled by rats in the tutorial dungeon because I spend too much time fumbling with the combat controls to actually hit anything. :facepalm: But even if you can't use any skills that you don't pick during character generation, you can still make a custom class with any combination of skills that you want.

You can instakill someone who doesn't detect you?

You can instakill someone who doesn't detect you?

No, I was making an example of a hypothetical other game. I don't think any of the TES games have inherent instakill anywhere aside from maybe a few scripted instances (Rose of Sithis).

Nope, turns out that they got some advanced feedback on people not liking how skills and perks work in the demo, so decided to nix everything. There are no more classes, skills, levels. Since health and magicka now nothing to work from and staying alive was too challenging with a level playing field, the player now has infinite health and magicka as part of being dragonborn. Other NPCs and the like seem to still have their stats manually set. It also mentioned that certain checks which were based on skills (like lockpicking and crafting) are now just a random roll for a chance to fail with some adjustments made as the player completes the main quest.

Nope, turns out that they got some advanced feedback on people not liking how skills and perks work in the demo, so decided to nix everything. There are no more classes, skills, levels. Since health and magicka now nothing to work from and staying alive was too challenging with a level playing field, the player now has infinite health and magicka as part of being dragonborn. Other NPCs and the like seem to still have their stats manually set. It also mentioned that certain checks which were based on skills (like lockpicking and crafting) are now just a random roll for a chance to fail with some adjustments made as the player completes the main quest.

Uhm? isn't this against forum rules? :confused:

Uhm? isn't this against forum rules? :confused:

I thought it was funny. And maybe before you get rick rolled put your mouse cursor over the link and you will see it is youtube. Along with what he is saying you can definitely tell it is Never gonna give you up.