FNV: Unknown Origins

Cyberweasel89

Sneak Preview Topic: Here

Profiles Topic: Here

- - - - - - - - - -

Disclaimer: I do not own Fallout: New Vegas. It belongs to Bethesda, who purchased the rights from Black Isle.

- - - - - - - - - -

Fallout: New Vegas

Unknown Origins

By Cyberweasel89

Prologue: Fade to Black

- - - - - - - - - -

“You got what you were after, so pay up.”

s***... her head hurt so much... Wait, why the f*** was her vision blurry? Had she been chugging the absinthe again? Or did some a**hole slip something more than Mentats in her atomic cocktail?

“You’re cryin’ in the rain, pally.”

Wait, her hands were tied? s***... this couldn’t be good...

“Guess who’s wakin’ up over here.”

Three men in front of her, even more gathered around, obviously all pricks. Judging from their outfits and bandanas, they were all Great Khans. Directly in front of her was a Khan holding a shovel and an African-American one. Between them stood a man in... a checkered suit? Seriously? Ugh. Talk about bad taste.

“Time to cash out.”

The checkered suit man threw the butt of his spent cigarette on the ground and stomped it out. She could smell the delicious smoke wafting over her nose right now.

“Will you get it over with?”

The African-American man on the left seemed annoyed... The checkered suit man raised his hand, his index finger skyward. “Maybe Khans kill people without lookin’ ‘em in the face... But I ain’t a fink. Dig?”

The checkered suit man reached into his jacket and pulled out a poker chip. She instantly recognized it as that stupid platinum poker chip she was hired to deliver to the Strip, faintly lit up in the distance. “You’ve made your last delivery, kid.” He placed it back in his jacket, his hand lingering inside as he spoke. “Sorry you got twisted up in this scene.”

He was holding a nickel-finish pistol with an ivory grip when his hand emerged. Nine millimeter by the look of it. Highly engraved, with some bulls*** religious image on the grip. She couldn’t make it out with his fat fingers in the way and her vision so goddamn blurry.

“From where you’re kneeling, it must seem like an eighteen karat run of bad luck.” He pointed the gun at her. She promptly spit in his eye. The gaggle of Khans took to laughing uproariously as their boss removed a handkerchief from his jacket with his free hand and wiped the loogie from his face.

“She’s gotta lotta fight in her for someone lookin’ down the barrel of a gun!” the one with the shovel howled.

“Bull’s eye, too! Even after that whack in the back a’ the head!” the African-American one wailed.

She smirked at the checkered suit man’s visibly repressed anger, satisfied that she had humiliated him in front of his Khan goons as a final f*** you. He stepped closer to her, returning the handkerchief to his jacket.

“Cute. Especially for a broad your size.”

“What’re ya doin’?” a Great Khan to her right asked.

The prickweed pressed the gun right against her forehead. “I don’t wanna miss after that.” he explained with a smirk. She only smirked back.

”From where you’re kneeling, it must seem like an eighteen karat run of bad luck. But truth is... the game was rigged from the start, sweetheart.”

Even as he squeezed the trigger, she continued to mock him with a smug look on her face, delighted that it was upsetting him all the more. Hey, at least she’d had a good run. She’d have to remember to come back and haunt this sorry d***head.

There were two loud bangs, but she only heard one and a half bangs before her world faded to black...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-07-12_00002.jpg

"Truth is... the game was rigged from the start."

- - - - - - - - - -

“You’re awake. How about that.”

An unfamiliar voice greeted her as she opened her eyes. The light was blinding at first, but her eyes quickly adjusted. She attempted to pull herself into a sitting position.

“Whoa, easy there. Easy. You’ve been out cold a couple a days now.”

A hand steadied her. When she looked, there was a man in front of her. An older gentleman, balding with white hair and a white mustache, dressed in a white lab coat and blue jumpsuit. He seemed concerned, but calm.

“Why don’t you just relax a second. Get your bearings.”

She took a deep breath, trying to calm her mind. Then she felt the draft... and looked down to find herself sitting on a bed, the white sheet that had been over her having fallen onto the ground when she sat up... and she was completely naked.

“Are you okay? You seem-“

She shrieked. A loud, deafening, high-pitched shriek of distress as she thrust her arms over her breasts and pulled her legs up against her body.

“Wh-Where am I?! Wh-Who are you?! Wh-Where are my clothes?!”

The stranger reached a hand out, trying to calm her. “It’s okay. This is Goodsprings. I’m Doc Mitchell. You’re clothes couldn’t be salvaged.”

“D-Don’t touch me! G-Give me something to wear, please!”

The doctor sighed to himself, standing to walk into the other room. “Okay, alright.” He chuckled. “And here I thought modesty was dead in the youth of today...”

She sat there on the sofa, in a quasi-fetal position, shivering and trembling. She wasn’t cold. She was scared out of her mind. How else was she supposed to feel, waking up in some stranger’s house completely naked?

The stranger soon returned, holding some folded-up blue garment. “Here you go. This belonged to my wife. We used to live in Vault Twenty-One. She didn’t like wearin’ this after we moved. Felt it was too brazen.” He held the garment out for her, and she shied away, whimpering. “It’s okay. Don’t cry now. I’ll leave it here and go into the other room while you change.”

He set the outfit on the sofa, and left to the other room just like he said he would. When she had found her ability to move again, and made sure he wasn’t going to peek in on her, she grabbed the garment to find it was some sort of... blue jumpsuit? With the number twenty-one on the back in yellow? She hurriedly slipped herself into it.

“Done yet?”

She gave a start at the stranger’s voice. She hurriedly zipped the jumpsuit up... only to be unable to. “Um... uh... uh... S-Sir?”

“What is it?” came his gentle reply.

“This... um... this doesn’t fit.”

The doctor walked back into the room, and she showed him, blushing a deep crimson. Sure enough, the sleeves and legs were too long, while the front wouldn’t fully zip over her bosom.

“Hm... Well, I guess my wife was taller than you. And not as...” he cleared his throat. “Well-endowed, I suppose.”

Blushing even deeper, she looked away from the stranger to try and keep some semblance of her dignity in this long-sleeve, long-leg, half-zipped jumpsuit. She noted that she would have to roll up the sleeves and legs and just... try not to think about how much of her breasts were on display.

“Ready? Calm again? Okay. Let’s see what the damage is. How about your name? Do you remember your name?”

She opened her mouth to give her name... only to close it when nothing came to mind.

“So, you lost your memory, huh? Can’t even remember your own name? Well, hopefully it’ll come to ya with time.” He shifted positions in his chair, leaning forward with his hands clasped under his chin. “I’m Doc Mitchell. Welcome to Goodsprings. And just so ya know, I’ve been a doctor all my life. So I’ve seen plenty of people in all kinds a states a undress. No reason to be shy around me.”

She blushed and averted her gaze again. His occupation wasn’t making her feel any less embarrassed.

He reached to the side and handed her a mirror. “Here ya go. Take a look at yourself. You were shot twice in the head. I had to go rootin’ around in your noggin’ for all the bits of lead. Let me know if I left anythin’ outta place.”

She stared into the mirror... only for a total stranger to stare back at her. Chocolate skin, brown eyes. High cheek bones, a button nose. Her hair... it was long. It even fell in front of her face, the back falling down to mid-back. How could anyone have this much hair? It was straight, slightly wavey. Kinda messy, possibly from being out for so long. But... it was strange. She was clearly African-American. The chocolate skin proved it. But her hair... it was so straight and soft. Even odder... it was white. Snow white. How was that possible? Fetal radiation exposure leading to a mutation? Strange... She pulled part of her bangs aside, and was surprised to find bandages wrapped around her head at an angle to cover her right eye. She reached for the edge of the bandages, but the doctor reached a hand out to stop her.

“I wouldn’t touch that if I were you. I said ya got shot in the head, right? Twice. I may have been a good enough doctor to save your life... but I couldn’t save your eye. And ya might want to check your forehead.”

She moved the ivory hair from her forehead, and was surprised to find a scar there. Circular, with vein-like protrusions extending out in oblong directions. Yes, definitely a gunshot wound.

“Um... h-how long do I have to wear the bandages, doctor?”

“Well, I had to remove your entire right eye to avoid infection. It’s just a heavily scarred socket right now. You should fully heal in a few days, but don’t remove the bandages until you’ve got somethin’ else to protect yer socket with.”

She took a moment to look around the room, and found it very blurry. “Um... doctor... why’s everything so fuzzy?”

Doc Mitchell quirked an eyebrow. “Hm? Oh. Well, you still have one eye left. You must need eyeglasses. Lemme go fetch a pair.”

The doctor got up and walked into the other room. He soon returned with a pair of black-framed eyeglasses, as well as a blue ribbon. He placed the glasses on for her, making her lightly blush from the tender care, then held out the ribbon for her to take. “You can use this to tie your hair with. Someone like you with that much could probably use it.”

She squeaked out a tiny thank you, running her hands through her hair to tie it with the bright red ribbon. When she struggled with it, the doctor patted her on the shoulder, motioning her to turn around. She turned, blushing as he carefully and gently tied her hair in a low-set, fluffy ponytail. She turned around, fidgeting with her fingers nervously. “Th-Thank you, doctor... y-you’ve been so nice to me.”

“Hang on. I’m not done yet. I need to make sure you’re still physically capable. Try standin’ up. Let’s see if we can get ya on yer feet.”

Doc Mitchell held out his hand, and she carefully grasped it, blushing once more at the contact. She stood up from the sofa, took a step forward, and stumbled. She would’ve wiped out had the doctor not caught her as she fell forward. She looked up at him, her face a deep red. “Um... uh... um... th-thank you, d-doctor...”

“It’s alright. I figured you’d have some difficulty at first. Try to take a few steps forward. Test your legs out. Good. Now follow me over to the vigor tester machine over here.”

She followed him over, crossing her arms under her breasts. It wasn’t that she was embarrassed by the deep cleavage and flesh shown off by the half-zipped jumpsuit. As much as she was embarrassed by the skin, her arms had a much more important job in guarding her dignity. She... was bouncing...

“Good job. Your legs are in fine shape.”

She looked down sadly. “I’m... I’m five feet tall...”

“There’s nothing wrong with bein’ short. At least you’re...” he cleared his throat. “Proportionately petite.”

Except these... she thought, hiking her crossed arms up a bit more under her hefty bosom.

“Now, don’t worry. Just give the Vit-o-matic Vigor Tester a try. We need to see what faculties come with your compact size.”

She looked up at the strange machine before her. “Um... h-how does it work?”

“Just push the button with your palm. It’ll give ya a fortune on your prowess in various fields.”

She reached a hand forward and pressed the button. The machine began flipping through various phrases before coming to a stop. Strength... Wet Noodle. Perception... Eagle with Telescope. Endurance... Basically Dead. Charisma... Huh? That’s weird... Intelligence... Omniscient. Agility... Walks on Water. Luck... There it is again! Something’s wrong...

“Well, your perception, intelligence, and agility are top notch.” Doc Mitchell mused, sounding impressed.

“But... my strength and endurance... they’re nothing...” she said sadly.

“I wouldn’t worry about that. I’m more curious about...”

She looked up to see the doctor rubbing his chin in thought. “Y-Yes... Is the machine broken? My charisma and luck... it...”

“No, that’s the first time the vigor tester has done this. It was almost like it couldn’t decide on a result. How about you come into the next room and I give ya a quick psych test? Gotta make sure them bullets didn’t leave you nutty in the head.”

He led her into the next room. She followed quietly behind, her arms still crossed under her breasts not for coverage, but for support... as embarrassing as that was.

“Just have a seat on the couch. I’ll ask you a few questions.”

She took a seat, squeezing her legs together and sitting up straight in a very rigid and unrelaxed sitting pose.

“All right. I’m gonna say a word. You just say the first word that comes to mind. Dog.”

“Um... cat.”

“House.”

“Uh... sh-shelter.”

“Night.”

“D-Dream.”

“Bandit.”

She swallowed hard. “Um... c-crush.”

“Light.”

“Uh... inspiration?”

“Mother.”

“Regret?”

“Okay, now I’ve got a few statements. I want you to tell me if they sound like somethin’ you’d say.”

She wasn’t sure why that came to mind... she couldn’t even remember ever having a mother... “Um... o-okay.”

“First one. Conflict just ain’t in my nature.”

“Uh... s-strongly agree.”

“I ain’t given to relyin’ on others for support.”

“Um... Strongly disagree.”

“I’m always fixin’ to be the center of attention.”

“S-Strongly disagree!”

“Easy there. I’m not accusin’ you of anythin’.”

She blushed, averting her gaze from the doctor. “S-Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Next one... I’m slow to embrace new ideas.”

“Uh... strongly disagree?”

“I charge in to deal with my problems head on.”

“S-Strongly disagree.”

“Almost done here.” He turned around and grabbed some flashcards from behind his back, holding up an inkblot drawing. “What do ya say ya have a look at this. Tell me what ya see.”

“A b-broken chain... I think...”

“Okay. How ‘bout this one?” He flipped to the next one.

She immediately blushed and looked away. “I’m... I’m too embarrassed t-to say what it looks like...”

“That’s okay. Now, this is the last one.”

“A... a light in the darkness.” On second glance, it looked more like two bears high-fiving...

He set the cards aside. “Well, that’s all she wrote.”

She gave a sigh of relief. All this attention was making her head swim...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-28_00002.jpg

Two bears high-fiving?

“Hope ya don’t mind, but I ran some tests on ya while you were unconscious to get a sense of your medical history. Just a formality. Ain’t like I think ya got a family history of gettin’ shot in the head. I don’t have nothin’ to compare it to, so maybe you’d better just have a look at the results. See if it all seems right to you.”

The doctor handed her a sheet of paper, which she looked over. It seemed he did a number of tests, and the result were primarily that she was terribly nearsighted and needed eyeglasses, had a small body frame that might make her limbs more susceptible to injury, high metabolism as the likely reason why she was so petite, a slight natural resistance to radiation, absorbed less radiation from ingested food and drinks than most people, and showed a natural resistance to the addictive effects of chems like Med-X.

“Um... It looks okay, Doctor.”

“Alright, I guess that about does it. Come with me. I’ll see ya out.”

He got up, gesturing her to follow him. She sat up, again resuming the position of her arms crossed under her breasts for support. She followed him to the door, swallowing hard at the sight of it at the end of the long hallway.

“Here. These are yours. Was all ya had on ya when you were brought in.”

He handed her a few bottlecaps, a blue canteen with a yellow thirteen on it, a red magazine titled Pugilism Illustrated, and a piece of paper with something written on it.

“I hope ya don’t mind, but I gave the note a look. Thought it might help me find some next of kin. But it just mentions somethin’ about a platinum chip.”

She glanced over it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mojave Express Delivery Order (6 of 6)

INSTRUCTIONS

Deliver the package at the north entrance to the Vegas Strip, by way of Freeside. An agent of the recipient will meet you at the checkpoint, take possession of the package, and pay for the delivery. Bring the payment to Johnson Nash at the Mojave Express agency in Primm.

Bonus on completion: 250 caps

MANIFEST

This package contains:

One (1) Oversized Poker Chip, composed of Platinum

CONTRACT PENALTIES

You are an authorized agent of the Mojave Express Package until the delivery is complete and payment has been processed, contractually obligated to complete this transaction and materially responsible for any malfeasance or loss. Failure to deliver to the proper recipient may result in forfeiture of your advance and bonus, criminal charges, and/or pursuit by mercenary reclamation teams. The Mojave Express is not responsible for any injury or loss of life you experience as a result of said reclamation efforts.

- - - - - - - - - -

“I guess I’m a courier...” she mused.

“Then I guess that’ll have to do for a name for now.”

“Yeah... um... and I should probably see Johnson Nash in Primm. H-He might know who I am...”

“Well, if you’re headin’ back out there, you oughta at least have this.” He held out some sort of device. “They call it a Pip-Boy. Like I said, I grew up in Vault 21. We all had one of these.”

He held out a hand for her right arm, which she gave, letting him fix the device on her. “It’s a Personal Information Processor made by RobCo before the war. It’s got a built-in clock, radio, and map readout. Ya can download and store Holotape messages, be it audio or text, and scan paper notes for storage as well. It has readouts as a health monitor, Geiger counter, and substance analyzer. The screen can even light up as a flashlight. I’ve also heard word that ya can play games on it and it’s got enough data storage to download an entire dictionary and encyclopedia, but ya’d have to find those add-ons somewhere else, ‘cause I don’t got ‘em. Ain’t much use to me now, but ya might find a need for it. I know what it’s like to have somethin’ takin’ from ya.”

She looked up at the elderly doctor, her eyes wide. “You’re... you’re really giving this to me? But... it must be worth so much...”

The doctor crossed his arms and shook his head. “Not to me, I’m afraid. Left the Vault life behind me after what happened to Vault 21. Besides, I wouldn’t feel right sendin’ a little lady as young as you out into the world with as much as I could offer.”

Her eyes teared up. “Th-Thank you, sir...”

“Oh, and I don’t want the locals pickin’ on ya for lack a’ modesty in that half-zipped Vault suit. So take this to the general store and ask for some good clothes.”

He handed her a slip of paper. She gazed down at the numbers and words written on it. “Um... what is this?”

“It’s an invoice for the clerk who runs the store. Show him that, and he’ll set ya up with any supplies ya need to set off, for free. Let’s just say bein’ a Vault doctor in a farming town earns ya a coupla favors.”

She sniffled, wiping her one remaining eye with her hand. “Th-Thank you, sir. You’ve been so nice...”

He just smiled warmly. “Don’t mention it. I’m a doctor. It’s what I’m here for. Now, before ya leave, you’ll likely wanna talk to Sunny Smiles, our town’s unofficial sheriff. She can teach ya some tricks to fend fer yerself out in the wastes. You’ll likely find her down at the saloon. I reckon some of the other folks at the saloon might be able to help ya out as well. Like the metal fella, Victor, who pulled ya outta yer grave.”

“Um... Metal fellow? G-Grave?”

“Just talk to him. You’ll see. Ya ever get hurt again, ya come right on back and I’ll fix ya up. Just try not to get killed again.”

He winked at her, and she gave a small giggle at his little joke. Thanking him one more time, she took a deep breath and opened the door, stepping out into the Mojave sun.

- - - - - - - - - -

Author’s Notes:

1. Doc Mitchell wearing a Vault Lab Uniform, having a laser pistol, and still wearing his old Pip-Boy is a mod of my own creation. I might release it if people want me to. I figured that, having grown up in a vault, he'd be more comfortable wearing his old vault suit. He says the vaultsuit he gives you belonged to his wife, so I figured why couldn't the Pip-Boy have been his wife's too? Doc Mitchell actually equips a laser pistol at the end of Run Goodsprings Run. My mod makes sure he has it all the time. Problem is, if you do Run Goodsprings Run, Doc Mitchell will have two laser pistols. Not sure how to fix that with my mediocre modding skills.

2. Had to throw out the reference to the two bears high-fiving mod. Credit to tehDman for the mod. Be sure to check it out, and make sure you keep an eye out for the reference to it if you play Honest Hearts with Wild Wasteland.

Edited by Cyberweasel89

Disclaimer: I do not own Fallout. Fallout belongs to Bethesda, who purchased the rights from Black Isle.

- - - - - - - - - -

Unknown Origins

By Cyberweasel89

Chapter 1: After My Dreaming

- - - - - - - - - -

The early morning light was blinding at first. The Courier squinted her eyes, holding up her hands to shield herself from the disorienting sun. When her vision adjusted, she saw quite a peculiar thing... a robot, passing by on the road just in front of the house. It stopped in its path to turn to look at her, waving its robotic arm.

“Howdy pardner! Might I say, you’re lookin’ fit as a fiddle.”

The Courier approached and fidgeted with her hands nervously before the tall, uni-wheel robot. The cowboy image on its screen kept flickering... “Um... h-have we met, sir?”

“A ‘course we have! Name’s Victor. I’m the one that done dug ya outta that grave those nasty folk buried ya in after they what shot ya in the head.”

Her face brightened. “R-Really? Th-Thank you so much, sir!”

“Don’t mention it! I’m always happy to lend a helpin’ hand to a stranger in need.”

“Um... Mr. Victor, sir, how did you f-find me?”

The robot laughed. “No need to be nervous, little lady! I was out for a stroll the other night when a heard the commotion from the old bone orchard. Saw what looked like a bunch a bad eggs, so I laid low. Once they’d run off, I dug you up to see if you was still kickin’. Turns out you were. So I hauled you off to the Doc right quick.”

“Th-Thank you, Mr. Victor.”

“Again, don’t mention it. And just Victor is fine. And your name, little lady?”

“Uh... I’m the Courier.”

Though the flickering cowboy face remained the same, the robot often gestured with his long, tube-like manipulators to add emphasis to his words. “Courier, huh? Well, I don’t judge what names people give their children. I think we’re gonna be good friends, Courier.”

She blushed. “Th-Thank you, Victor. Um... d-do you know who those men were, by any chance?”

“Can’t say that I’m familiar with the rascals. Some a the fine folks in town might be able to help ya with that.”

“Okay... Um, may I ask something... personal?”

“I reckon that’s okay, little lady.”

“Um... I’ve... never seen a robot like you before... I mean, I have amnesia, but it only seemed to have affected my memories of my life, who I knew, and any current events in the world. I still remember things like bottlecaps for currency and robots like Protectrons. But... even with that knowledge, I don’t recognize your model... Um... I’m sorry if that’s rude...”

“A course not little lady! I’m a Securitron. RobCo security model 2060-B. Ya likely haven’t seen much of us. We’re not in common use, aside from policin’ the New Vegas Strip. If ya ever see any of my brothers up there, tell ‘em Victor says howdy.”

“Of course, Victor. But, um... if Securitrons are only used on the Strip, how did you end up in Goodsrpings? I-If you don’t mind me asking.”

“I moseyed into town, oh, ten, fifteen years ago. Before that I... Hmm... I can’t quite seem to recall. Odd. Anyway, it’s a right peaceful town, and I reckon it’s as nice a place to settle as any.”

“Hmm... Well, th-thank you for your time, Victor. And th-thank you for saving my life.”

“Don’t mention it. Happy trails!”

The robot wheeled off back down the road. Okay, first stop, the general store. She had to get out of this jumpsuit and find something to wear.

- - - - - - - - - -

“Howdy! Welcome to Goodsprings General St-“ He paused as she approached the counter, looking incredibly unsure of herself. Specifically, he zeroed-in on the huge tits hanging out of her half-zipped vault jumpsuit. s***, they musta been freakin’ H cups! And that tiny body just made ‘em look bigger! Oh! She was right in front of the counter. He quickly composed himself.

“Name’s Chet. You must be the one Doc Mitchell was patchin’ up. Way I heard it I didn’t think you’d be walkin’ out of that office. I’ve got plenty of supplies for sale. Even got some weapon mods and special ammo. Well worth the caps, if ya ask me. If you’re hurtin’ for caps, I’ve also got boxes of surplus ammo. They’re not great, but ya get what ya pay for.”

“Um... actually, uh... D-Doc Mitchell told me to show you this, Mr. Chet.” She held up a piece of paper. He took it and skimmed it over, sighing in defeat.

“s***. Looks like the Doc’s callin’ in a favor. Whatever ya want, ya can have for free, little lady.”

“R-Really? Um... are you sure?”

He sighed once more. “You bet. In fact, you’d be doin’ me a favor. Help alleviate this tab I got.”

“Tab?”

“Long story. So, what’ll it be?”

The girl shifted uncomfortably where she stood, wrapping her arms around her half-exposed breasts protectively. “Um... I c-could use some clothes.”

“Clothes, huh? I’m sure I can help ya with that. Will ya be travelin’ through the Mojave?”

“S-Something like that.”

Chet smiled at her. “Then I’ve got just the thing for ya. Just got a whole shipment of leather armor in. I’m sure I’ve got somethin’ in your size.”

Chet slipped into the back, grabbing a suit of leather armor from one of the crates. Finally, he’d be able to sell one of these things. He returned to the front, grinning to himself, and placed the folded-up ensemble on the counter. “Ya might wanna try that on, see if it fits.”

She grabbed the outfit, but then just shifted uncomfortably, gazing around the store. He quirked an eyebrow. “Somethin’ wrong?”

“Um... I’m sorry to ask, but... D-Do you have anywhere I can change?”

Chet crossed his arms, narrowing his eyes at the girl. “What’s wrong with my store? Not clean enough for ya?”

The Courier dropped the armor on the ground, waving her arms frantically. “N-No, no! That’s not it! It’s just...” She began fidgeting with her hands nervously. “I kinda need somewhere... private... i-if that’s okay... sir…”

At first he just stared at her with a perplexed look on his face. But then it hit him. “Oh! Shoot, I didn’t think modesty was still around in this day and age. Ya can change in the back.” He gestured to the archway behind him with his thumb.

“Y-You won’t peek?” she squeaked.

“On my honor as a gentleman. Besides, you’re my customer.”

The girl blushed and thanked him, heading into the back room to change. To add to her security, he stepped out from behind the counter and went to arrange some of the products on the shelves. Chet had to admit, this girl was a rarity. She seemed so shy and timid. He had to wonder how she survived traveling the wastes without someone to protect her.

“Um... E-Excuse me... Mr. Chet?”

He turned to see her head peeking out from behind the doorframe. “Just Chet. Somethin’ wrong?”

“Um... I’m sorry... D-Do you have something else I can w-wear? This makes me feel... u-uncomfortable...”

“If it doesn’t fit, I’m sure I can get ya a suit in a different size.”

“N-No... It’s the pants.” she mumbled.

“Too tight? Too loose?” he asked her.

“N-No... It’s... Wearing them... it makes my skin crawl... A-And it gives me a headache...”

“Hmm... First time I’ve heard that. What did ya have in mind?”

“Um... I suppose we could try something... with a skirt?”

“Hmmm... Well, a pre-war spring dress would look amazing on ya.” Her adorable blush made him inwardly smile. Was that how she reacted to compliments? “But it’s not exactly practical for wasteland traveling...”

She lowered her gaze, crestfallen. “Oh... I see...”

“Now hang on there. I might have just the thing.”

Chet walked to a display bin and began to rummage around inside it. He emerged with a folded-up gray garment. “These clothes are standard wear for prospectors. Perfect for desert travel. Best of all, it’s a dress.”

Her spirits noticeably lifted as he walked behind the counter and handed her the outfit. She gratefully accepted it, mumbling a nervous “Th-Thank you...”

She disappeared into the back again, so he returned to organizing the shelves. After several minutes, he called into the back. “How is it?”

“Um...”

He looked to see her step out from the back and into the store. He had to admit, she was a sight to behold. The light gray dress went down to her shins, exposing the chocolate skin of her ankles. The sleeves were short, good for staying cool in the desert heat. The material was light and breathable, while her elegant neck was on display from the open collar. Except... that’s not all that was open and on display. The top of the dress was hanging halfway open, exposing not only a tantalizing length of the girl’s impressively deep cleavage, but also a great amount of her sizable breasts. In terms of bosom coverage, it really wasn’t all that better than the Vault jumpsuit.

“Um... I c-can’t close the top...” she mumbled, fidgeting in extreme discomfort under his leering eyes. He snapped out of it and quickly composed himself.

“Well, that’s the best traveling dress I have in the shop. And it fits your frame fine, just... well, if you ask me, you look great in it.”

The Courier blushed, gazing downward and fidgeting with her hands. “Um... I g-guess I’ll take it...”

“Great!” He directed the girl to the front of the counter, while he went around behind it. “I’ll throw in some traveling boots. You also’ll probably want a side satchel to go with the outfit. While I’m at it, I got an old leather backpack I’ve been wantin’ to get rid of. I’ll throw it in, too. Even comes with a portable bedroll ya can strap to it.”

She gazed at him with concern as he rung up the items. “Um... A-Are you sure? I d-don’t have much to pay you with...”

Chet just chuckled. “Little lady, I’m not sure you understand what showin’ me that invoice meant. Everything for you right now is free. In fact, it’ll help relieve my debt to Doc Mitchell.”

Her eyes teared up as she looked up at the shopkeeper. “Th-Thank you so much for your kindness...”

“Hey, now don’t cry. It’s the least I could do for a poor courier who got shot in the head. You may not realize it, but you’ve been the talk of the town for the last few days. Everyone was wonderin’ when you’d wake up. Now, you best run along. Take it easy now.”

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-28_00001.jpg

Changing in the back room.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier stepped into the saloon, only to be greeted with a dog barking at her. She recoiled, trembling in fright at the loud creature.

“Cheyenne, stay. Don’t worry. She won’t bite unless I tell her to.”

She looked to see a girl walking towards her, dressed in leather armor and with her strawberry blonde hair tied back.

“Um... a-are you Sunny Smiles?” she squeaked.

“You bet. You must be that courier Doc Mitchell fixed up. Got a name?”

“I don’t remember it... B-But um, y-you can just call me the Courier, i-if you want...”

“Amnesia, huh? Guess that’s to be expected when ya get shot twice in the head. Looks like your eye’s still healin’ up.”

“Um... Sort of... uh... wh-what do you do around here, Sunny?”

“I hunt Geckos, mostly. The meat’s pretty good, and I can always find a buyer for the hides. I also help keep the town clear of radscorpions and coyotes. Not many people live in Goodsprings, so wildlife is always creepin’ in.”

“Um... D-Doc Mitchell said you could teach me to survive uh... in the desert...?”

“Yeah. I guess there’s a thing or two I could show you. Sounds like you need all the help you can get after what they done to you. Follow me.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Sunny led her to the area behind the saloon. There were bottles lined up on the fence. She got into position with Cheyenne.

“Now, see the Sarsaparilla bottles on the fence? Take this and try to hit a couple of ‘em.”

Sunny handed her her varmint rifle. She had to show the Courier the proper way to hold it and aim. She lined the rifle up with one of the bottles on the fence, taking a deep breath, but the second she pulled the trigger, she got a sudden, sharp pain in her head. The gun pulled, the shot hitting the wall above and to the left.

“Easy there, now. Try again.”

The Courier tried aiming once more, but the sharp pain had left a throbbing ache in her head that persisted even while she tried to line up the sight once more. She pulled the trigger again, and the shot missed by a long shot, hitting the edge of the workbench just down the alley.

“Somethin’ wrong? You look like you’re in pain.” Sunny inquired.

“Just a headache... Um... I don’t think guns are my strong point... I’m sorry...”

She handed the rifle back to the unofficial sheriff. “Well, I suppose headaches should be expected after getting’ shot twice in the head. You might wanna ask Doc Mitchell for some follow-up medication for those brain pains.”

The Courier looked down sadly. Sunny just sighed. “Don’t worry. Guns just probably aren’t your strong suit. Conventional ones, at least. We might be able to find a laser pistol for you, or something. Tell ya what. I gotta go chase geckos away from our water supply anyway. Darn critters are attracted to it. Why don’t you come along?”

“Okay. Th-Thank you, Sunny... I’ll try not to get in the way...”

- - - - - - - - - -

Sunny led the Courier just to the southeast, where rocky cliffs rose several yards above the ground. She heard an unusual noise just ahead when Sunny stopped her at a wall.

“Hear that? There’s some geckos up there for us to clear out. Bunch of little monsters is what they are. Seems like Doc Mitchell treats more gecko bites than anything else. Let’s see if we can get a little closer. If we move quietly, we can get the jump on ‘em. More likely to hit somethin’ vital that way.”

Sunny crouched down and started moving on ahead. The Courier followed suit, just behind her. Up ahead beyond the cliff wall was a pump and trough. She heard more of the odd screeching from earlier, and it was closer this time.

“Stay here, Courier. I don’t want you gettin’ hurt.” the unofficial sheriff instructed her.

The Courier nodded, swallowing hard as Sunny crept closer in, her dog Cheyenne just behind her. The fact that the canine knew how to sneak with her master really said a lot about her intelligence. The Courier inwardly smiled at the thought.

There were two geckos. Sunny crouched low in the shrubs and fired on one’s head. Cheyenne lunged out of another shrub just as the other gecko turned to where the sound of the gun was. The dog tackled the lizard to the ground, her teeth tearing open the thing’s neck. Sunny fired two more shots into the first gecko’s head, and it was down. She holstered her weapon and returned to the Courier with her loyal hound at her side.

“Kinda nice to have an audience.” the unofficial sheriff said to her with a smile. The Courier blushed and let out a tiny giggle. “There’s still two more wells to clear. Might be worth a few caps to me if you came along.”

“What? R-Really? B-But I’m not doing anything...” the Courier noted sadly.

“You’re keepin’ me company. That’s enough for me. Now let’s go.”

The Courier followed Sunny along down the hill to the next well. This time, the element of surprise was not on their side. A gecko came charging toward them on its hind legs, it’s fangs bared, frills flared out, and hissing. The Courier took a step back, frightened. Cheyenne stopped it’s charge with a lunging tackle, possibly having been trained to go right for the throat. Sunny was soon firing on another gecko charging up behind the first one. A third one charged up, and as the first two fell to the ground, Cheyenne and Sunny set upon it at the same time. The dog lunged and bit into the beast’s arm, while Sunny aimed three shots right through the head, felling the beast. The Courier was impressed. This time, they didn’t stop to chat about it. Sunny ran on ahead immediately, so the Courier took off to catch up to her.

She was surprised with how easily she gained on the unofficial sheriff’s fit, compact body. Up ahead, though, she heard shouting. Human shouting. Cries for help. When the team of three came upon the third well, a woman in a red dress with an apron was sitting atop a rock, kicking down as three geckos attempted to snap at her with their jaws. Cheyenne rushed in and Sunny took aim without another word, but the Courier couldn’t wait for Cheyenne to get close enough or Sunny to line up her shot. She dashed ahead, overtaking Sunny’s position and even Cheyenne’s running at an astonishing rate, and landed a solid flying kick in the back of one of the gecko’s head. Its neck snapped, and it fell dead. The other two geckos turned to look at what killed their friend, only for one to see a fist hit it square in the nose. Before either could react, an upward kick landed the staggering gecko square in the jaw, and it fell onto its back. The Courier turned to the final gecko, which bared it’s fangs and hissed. It lunged forward with a snapping jaw, but she fluidly jerked to the side and out of the way, now on the lizard’s right. She placed a solid leg sweep to the creature’s right leg, knocking its foot out from under it. She followed with a solid punch to the shoulder, then to the creature’s abdomen with her other fist. The gecko fell to the ground, and the Courier finished it off with a stomp to the back of its neck, cracking its spine. Her victory was short lived, however. Razor-sharp fangs sunk into her arm. The Gecko that had fallen second had gotten back up. The Courier bashed it on the head with a hammer fist, but it refused to get go. With a charge forward, she rammed the beast into a cliff wall. It released her and slumped against the surface. Before it could recover from its stagger, the Courier launched a left hook to the beast’s face, then a right hook, following by a solid knee to its stomach. As it bent over in pain, she landed a straight kick to its face, cracking its skull and sending it falling to the ground, dead.

The Courier stood over the three fallen geckos, panting heavily. A sharp pain registered in her forearm, and she brought her hand to the limb to see blood seeping out from where the gecko had bit her. Sunny ran up to her, her gun holstered and fishing something out of her pocket.

“Now that was some good work! Exciting, too! I’ve never seen anyone move like that. You’re the first I’ve seen to take out three geckos barehanded and only come out with a bite on the arm.” She pulled a stimpak out of her pocket and stabbed the needle into the Courier’s arm. Right away, the wound began to heal. “I was right about guns not bein’ your strong suit. Looks like you’re an unarmed fighter.”

The Courier blushed, still panting heavily as the settler she saved slowly walked up, her hands clasped together. “Holy moly... If you hadn’t come here like you done... You just swooped in and... I’d be a goner for sure... I couldn’t even see you at first... I came up here to draw water, but here, you should have what I got. You look thirsty.” She handed the Courier a bottle of water. She gratefully chugged it, but winced, setting the bottle down and looked at her scraped and scratched knuckles. “Hm... Here, take this.” She handed the Courier a handful of bottlecaps. “Go see Chet at the general store and ask for a roll of boxing tape. A martial artist like you should really wear it to protect your hands.”

“I... I can’t take your money...” the Courier mumbled. She was still a little out of breath.

“Nuh-uh. You saved my life. I wish I could give you more.”

The settler leaned in and gave the Courier a hug, then smiled and turned to head back to town. The Courier blushed, looking down at the handful of bottlecaps in her palm. This was probably more than a roll of boxing tape would cost... but she’d take the woman’s advice.

“Here you go. A little spending money for your trouble.”

Sunny handed the Courier a handful of bottlecaps in her other palm. She looked down at them in surprise. “B-But Sunny! I... I didn’t do anything...”

The unofficial sheriff just laughed. “You took out three geckos barehanded and saved one of our townsfolk. I’d say you deserve more than your fair share. Now, one more thing I wanted to show you.” Sunny turned around and started walking further down the hill, waving her arm for the Courier to follow her. “Thought I might teach you about living off the land, and makin’ useful things for yourself.”

The Courier swallowed hard and followed after her wise sensei, pocketing the bottlecaps in her side satchel and idly rubbing her aching knuckles.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-28_00003.jpg

Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting!

- - - - - - - - - -

Sunny led her to a small campsite just at the bottom of the hill. Some logs surrounded an old burnt-out campfire, which had quite a few tin cans and bottles lying around it. Sunny got the fire started again and grabbed a frying pan from nearby. “We’re gonna make a little something people on the trail call healing powder. Stimpaks are hard to come by at times. So we make healing powder for most cases. It’s not immediate like a stimpak is, but it’s useful after a fight when you have time. Really helps save your stimpaks for when you really need ‘em.”

Sunny began to grind up a broc flower and some xander root in a small bowl. The Courier watched intently, studying and listening as the unofficial sheriff explained. When she took to cooking a clump of the powder over the fire, the Courier decided it might be a good time to chat.

“Um... what can you tell me about the areas around Goodsprings?”

“You’re gonna need to be more specific than that.”

“Sorry... uh... any other towns?”

“Southeast of here is Primm. Can’t miss it, since it has the giant old roller coaster right in the middle of town. The NCR’s got an outpost there.”

“NCR?”

“The New California Republic. Bunch of settlers and soldiers coming in from the west, fixin’ on makin’ Nevada their own. They can be pushy, but the roads are safer ‘cause of them, so I tend to let it go. Not that I got a choice.” Sunny mused as she worked.

“Um... what does the NCR keep you safe from?” she asked.

“Well, the wildlife for one thing. Rowdy locals for another. They’re protecting their own. Just happens to help us. They’ve been holdin’ off this other group from the east, too.”

“Um... o-other group? Like... another NCR?”

“Nope. Call themselves Caesar’s Legion. Funny name, huh? Never seem ‘em in these parts, so I couldn’t tell you much. I hear rumors, that’s about it. Supposedly they keep slaves and they got some real nasty ways of killin’ folks. But maybe that’s just somethin’ folks in the NCR cooked up to make them seem more useful here. Less uninvited.”

“G-Good to know.”

The unofficial sheriff set the pan on a rock to cool.

“Um... any other towns around here?” the Courier continued. Sunny took a seat on one of the logs and set to cleaning her varmint rifle.

“Well, aside from Primm, if you follow the road north, you’ll eventually hit Sloan and Quarry Junction. They mine rocks or somethin’, but I heard they got troubles lately. I wouldn’t head in that direction if I were you, though. Got critters up there that don’t take kindly to gettin’ shot.”

“C-Critters?” she gulped. “Wh-What kind?”

“Not sure. But around here we get coyotes and geckos mostly. The coyotes are pretty dangerous in large packs, but otherwise they’re nothin’ to really worry about. The geckos aren’t too tough, but they’ve got a nasty bite. I’ve heard about bigger, nastier version out in the wasteland, but I’ve never seem them. Stick to the roads when you can, and steer clear of the hills north of Goodsprings. The critters up there are big and poisonous.

“Um... Y-You mentioned Primm. I n-need to go there. Do you, uh... know a good route, maybe?”

“Sure do. Take the road southeast out of town till it hits the freeway. Primm is the town with the roller coaster, straight south. Can’t miss it.”

“A-Any dangers on the road?”

“NCR patrols do a good job of keepin’ the highway clear, but I’d keep your gun where you can reach it easily. Or rather, keep your boxing tape on at all times, just in case. You never know who you’ll run into. Off the road, you’ll probably start running into hostile wildlife. My advice would be to stick to the highway when you can.”

She picked the clump of powder out of the pan and put it in a small bag, handing it to the Courier.

“There ya go. See, it’s easy if you have the right knowhow.”

“Th-Thank you, Sunny.” The Courier mumbled with a blush, pocketing the bag of healing powder into her backpack. “Um... S-Sunny... I was shot and buried at the graveyard, right? C-Can you please take me there? Maybe I can find a clue that’ll uh... jog my memory.

“Sure. But we better leave right away. The sun’s just startin’ to set.”

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier, Sunny Smiles, and Cheyenne climbed uphill to the northeast, arriving at the Goodsprings cemetery just as night fell. Several graves in various shapes lie across the top of the tall hill, but one in particular stood out. It was a rectangular hole, just a foot or two deep, sitting next to a pile of dirt. A lantern sat between the undug grave and the dirt pile, still illuminating the night air despite what it bared witness to just days ago. The Courier looked down into the grave, her grave, and felt a sudden pain hit her head. Along with it came a vision. A man in a checkered suit... with a whole group of men in bandanas and leather.

Truth is... the game was rigged from the start.

The gunshots sounded in her mind, and she clutched her head to ease the throbbing pain.

“You okay, Courier?” Sunny asked with concern.

She nodded, swallowing hard. Walking forward, she squatted down to look at a collection of cigarette butts. She remembered now... the man in the checkered suit. He’d been smoking. She wasn’t sure why, but she collected the cigarette butts and pocketed them in her backpack. She found seven by the grave and three more by a nearby sapling. For him to have smoked this many cigarettes... they must have been lying in wait for her all night. Like they knew she’d be coming by this very spot.

“Anything jog your memory?” Sunny asked.

“Yeah... A man in a checkered suit... and a gang in leather and bandanas. They were waiting for me here all night, I can tell. He said... the game was rigged from the start...”

Sunny approached the Courier cautiously. “What do you plan to do?”

“I need to find him... He might know who I am.” The Courier mumbled staring down into her grave. She gave a start when the unofficial sheriff put an arm over her shoulder.

“Hey. Not tonight, okay? To travel at this time of night would be dangerous. Come stay at my place. I’ll treat you to a dinner of gecko steaks, the same ones we hunted earlier. Then we can set you on your way in the morning.”

The Courier managed a small smile. “Um... th-thank you, Sunny... B-But I couldn’t impose...”

“Nonsense!” she slapped the girl on the back. “Consider yourself my honorary sister. Cheyenne’s too.”

The dog barked, making the Courier release a tiny giggle.

- - - - - - - - - -

“Wake up! Rise and shine!”

Sunny popped her head in to the living room, only to be met with quite a sight. There was her little disciple, sprawled out on the sofa... completely naked. The blanket apparently fell off her as she tossed and turned in the night, currently bunched up on the floor, but why was a girl as shy as she was sleeping in the nude? The Courier began to stir, holding her hand in front of her eyes to block the light as she opened them. She groggily sat up, scratching her nethers and smacking her lips, probably still half-asleep. Sunny crept up on her and gave her a poke on the shoulder. “So you sleep naked, huh?”

The Courier gave a mighty start. Sunny could’ve sworn she jumped twice her height. She scrambled back on the sofa until she fell off it, landing with a thud on the floor. Sunny gazed over the sofa’s edge to see her huddled in the corner of the sofa and wall in an upright fetal position.

“S-S-Sunny! D-D-Don’t scare me like that! P-P-Please!”

“Sorry. Just teasing, ya know. Anyway, I’ll make you what I call a wasteland omelet. Get dressed.”

The unofficial sheriff passed her disciple and walked into the kitchen, smirking to herself. She could tell earlier when she was dressed, but now she could really tell. The tiny Courier really did have a serious rack.

- - - - - - - - - -

“Courier! Breakfast’s ready!”

She took a seat at the table and nervously ate her omelet, blushing in embarrassment from what happened eearlier. Sunny posed a question that made her blush deepen.

“So, you sleep naked, huh?” Sunny inquired.

The Courier choked a little, but took a sip of water to clear her throat. “Um... I... I was tossing and turning all n-night... I uh... didn’t fall asleep until I took off my clothes... I-It’s like being naked was the only way I could relax enough to fall asleep...” she shyly explained.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to explain yourself, Courier. But has anyone ever told you...” The unofficial sheriff swallowed her mouthful. “That you really have a good body?”

The girl blushed. “Um... th-thank you, Sunny. I guess I’m in shape... p-probably courier work, or something...”

Sunny shook her head, cutting another piece of her own omelet. “Nah, not like that. For such a tiny kid, you have an amazing set of...”

Sunny rethought what she was about to say. With the Courier looking expectantly at her with such an innocent look on her face, she really wouldn’t feel right embarrassing her.

“Never mind. Just... do me a favor. Trudy... she’s the bartender up at the Prospector Saloon, kinda the town mom... She likes to meet newcomers. She’d be cross with me if I didn’t ask you to poke your head in and say hi.”

The Courier nodded, responding with a tiny “Um... okay...”

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier stepped into the Prospector Saloon. It was a fairly casual establishment, with a nice homey feeling due to the wooden paneling. As she turned to the left and walked to the bar, she saw two people arguing. One was dressed in some kind of bulletproof vest with the letters NCRCF on the back. His outfit was primarily blue tinted. The woman was dressed in a white dress and beige jacket.

“I’m done bein’ nice. If you don’t hand Ringo over soon, I’m gonna get my friends and we’re burnin’ this town to the ground. Got it?”

“We’ll keep that in mind. Now, if you’re not gonna buy somethin’, get out.”

The man turned around, running right into her. She gulped. “What the hell is your problem?”

The Courier recoiled in fright. This man was... intimidating. “Um... uh... uh... wh-wh-what were you s-s-saying about R-R-Ringo?”

“Oh. Ya heard that? Eavesdroppers don’t live long around here. But ya don’t look like one of the locals, so... He’s some trader who figured he’d rather shoot than pay the toll for being in our territory. He’s hiding somewhere in town. Would serve these idiots right if me and my guys shot the place up after we got payback on Ringo.”

She swallowed hard. The taller man’s eyes were gazing right down into her exposed cleavage with an amused look. She wondered if he could tell she was shaking. “Th-Th-This area is y-your t-t-territory?”

He smirked. “It is now. Me and the rest of the guys busted out of the NCR prison east of here and took over. Now we’re calling the shots.”

Now she was sure her trembling was obvious. “P-P-Prison? Wh-What were you in p-prison for?”

He narrowed his eyes at her. “None of your damn business. You ought to know better than to ask a man that kind of question.”

“I’m... I’m s-s-s-sorry...” she squeaked. She was nearly close to tears.

“Hey! Joe Cobb! I said get out of here! I don’t want you harassing my customers!” the woman at the counter shouted over. The prisoner smirked at the Courier once more. “Aw, and just when I was about to see you cry. Oh well. Guess I’ll save something special for you if you’re here when we raze the place to the ground.”

The man maneuvered around her, walking out of the bar area and out the door. The Courier released a breath she’d been holding in so long it had become painful. The bartender gestured her over, so she went and took a seat at the bar. She was still visibly shaking.

“Well, you’ve been causin’ quite a stir.” The bartender greeted, sliding her a Nuka-Cola. “Glad I finally got to meet you. Welcome to the Prospector Saloon. I’m Trudy. And you must be that courier. Never caught your name on all the rumors.”

The Courier relaxed significantly at Trudy’s nurturing nature and motherly tone. She pocketed the cap from the bottle and sipped. Mmm... cola goodness. She had to wonder if this was her favorite drink before her memories left her. “Um... j-just call me the Courier. I don’t remember my name.”

“Amnesia? Sorry to hear that. Well, just know that you’re always welcome here.” Trudy said, leaning her elbows on the counter and smiling warmly at her.

“Th-Thank you, Trudy. Um... I’m sorry, but I overheard your argument.”

“Oh, that? It looks like our little town got dragged into the middle of somethin’ we don’t want anythin’ to do with. About a week ago, this trader, Ringo, comes into town. Survivor of an attack, he says. Bad men after him, needs a place to hide. We figured he was just in shock, so we gave him a place to lie low. We didn’t actually expect anyone to come after him.” Trudy explained.

“Oh... I’m sorry... um... s-so what are you going to do?” the Courier asked.

“Well, some of the others, like Sunny, will probably stand up for Ringo if he asks for help, which he hasn’t. Personally, I hope he sneaks out of town one night and takes the Powder Gangers with him.”

“Um... Powder Gangers?”

“Chain gangs, really. The NCR brought them in from California to work on the rail lines. Problem is, it turns out that giving convicts a bunch of dynamite and blasting powder isn’t the best idea. Was a big escape not too long ago. Some of ‘em stuck together so they could make trouble. That’s what we’re dealing with now.”

“Oh... Um... where is Ringo now?”

“He’s holed up at the abandoned gas station up the hill.”

“Okay. Th-thank you.”

Trudy smiled. “No problem, sweetie. Anythin’ else ya need?”

“Um... Does Goodsprings get many visitors?”

“Mostly traders lookin’ to buy bighorner meat and hides. The traders are the main reason the General Store manages to stay in business. Most travelers headin’ south on the I-15 just push on towards Primm, unless they’re in desperate need of supplies.”

“Sorry to hear that. Um... M-My knowledge of things like robots and g-ghouls seems to be fine, but I can’t remember, uh... any current events. Um... wh-what’s going on in the world today?”

“There’s always somethin’ interestin’ goin’ on, but the biggest news has to be the comin’ dustup between the NCR and the Legion over the dam.”

“The NCR... Sunny mentioned them. Um... c-can you tell me about them?”

“The New California Republic’s got the most power in Nevada. Money, troops, you name it. They do what they can to keep things safe in the region, but if you ask me, they’re tryin’ to do too much. They’re spread too thin.”

“A-And the Legion? Sunny mentioned them, too, but she couldn’t tell me much about them...”

“Well, they’re slavers, killers, and all other kinds of trouble. They dress up like Roman soldiers, so there’s no mistakin’ it when you see them. The rumor is that the Legion is far larger than the NCR lets on and that it’s been due to luck that the Legion hasn’t overrun the territory.”

The Courier swallowed hard, taking another sip of her cola to try and fix her dry mouth. “Um... wh-why do you think they both want the dam?”

“I’m pretty sure the NCR wants to hold onto the dam because it’s one of the few places around that can make electricity. The Legion are a bunch of savages, though. No idea why they’d want the dam. Probably plan on destroyin’ it or somethin’.”

“Thanks for all the info. I feel so lost...” she sighed.

Trudy just smiled. “No problem, sweetie. Need any other info while we’re at it?”

She thought for a moment. “Uhhh... Oh! Do you know the robot who... who rescued me?” She blushed at the thought. Sure, he was a robot, but that metal was like a knight’s shining armor in her eyes.

“I know that... thing... as much as anyone else around here. It mostly keeps to itself, which is just fine by me.” the bartender dismissed.

The Courier’s dreamy blush immediately fell away. “You... you d-don’t... like him?”

“It acts friendly enough, but I don’t trust that whole ‘cheerful cowboy’ act. I find it all very creepy.” A shiver ran up and down Trudy’s spine at the thought, it seemed.

The Courier looked down at the counter sadly. “Um... how long as he been in Goodsprings?”

“It was here when I took over the saloon seven years ago. Some people have said its owner lived here, but no one knows who it was.”

It... not he? It... Could Trudy really be so hurtful? “And... um... what does he do around here?”

“Other than rollin’ around once in awhile, it doesn’t do anythin’ useful as far as I can tell. I don’t know why it took an interest in you, but I’d be careful. It’s never helped anyone before.”

She felt a single tear come to her remaining eye, but she wiped it away. The Courier took another sip of her Nuka-Cola before continuing. “Um... I’m trying to track down the people who tried tp kill me. D-Do you know anything about them?”

“Not much, other than they’re a bunch of freeloaders who expected a few rounds on the house. I was able to get them to pay up, though.” The Courier gave a small smile. Hate the action, not the person, she reminded herself. “Course one of the Great Khans did knock my radio to the floor ‘by accident’, and it hasn’t been workin’ since.”

“I’m sorry... um, d-did they say where they were going?”

“They kept havin’ some kind of argument about it, but the guy in the checkered coat kept shushin’ them. Sounds like they came in from the north through Quarry Junction. If that’s the case I can’t say I blame them for not wantin’ to go back.”

The Courier tilted her head to the side in curiousity. “Oh? Um... why is that?”

“That whole area’s overrun with the kinda critters that just get mad if you shoot ‘em. Merchants avoid that whole stretch of I-15 like it’s radioactive. Which it could be for all I know.”

“S-So where were they headed?”

Trudy shrugged. “I didn’t hear exactly, but the leader was talkin’ about the Strip. Fella wants to get there and avoid the 15, he’d have to go east. Take Highway 93 up.”

“Um... th-thank you. Uh... you mentioned your radio was broken. Mind if I um... t-take a look at it?”

“Sure. The outside looks okay, but I think somethin’ broke on the inside. There’d be caps in it for ya. I do like to hear what’s goin’ on in the world. And that Mr. New Vegas seems like such a gentleman.”

The Courier nodded, drinking down the rest of her cola before hopping off the stool and stepping behind the counter to the radio. Opening up the back, she gave it a quick look. Hmm... The design of the internal mechanisms looked... oddly familiar. From what she could tell, some of the parts and connections were popped loose when the radio hit the floor. She took out a bobby pin and used it as a tool to give everything a quick adjustment. When she placed the radio back on the counter and flipped the switch. The dial lit up, while the voice of a smooth older gentleman flared up, introducing himself as Mr. New Vegas.

“Nicely done, kid. I’m not sure how you did it, but apparently you had some kind of mechanical knowledge before you got shot in the head.”

The Courier blushed, rubbing the back of her head. She really couldn’t handle compliments... Trudy brought her out of her embarrassment by taking her hand and placing a handful of bottlecaps in her palm. “Here. For a job well done.”

“B-But Trudy... I can’t accept this...” the Courier stammered.

“Of course you can. Now you best run along. I’m sure you have a lot to do before you head for the New Vegas Strip.”

The Courier blushed, smiling and nodding before turning on her heel and heading for the door.

“Oh, hey, before you leave...” She turned back around to face the bartender. “I can tell you’re goin’ to talk to Ringo. Just... be careful if you plan to help him.”

“Um... why is that?”

“If you’d be able to get Ringo out of this mess, you’d have a decent reputation around Goodsprings. I’d even set ya up with a discount. Of course, helpin’ Ringo would also make the Powder Gangers mad, and they’ve got a lot of friends out there.”

The Courier just smiled. “It’s okay. That’s just a risk I’ll have to take.”

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-29_00001.jpg

Discussions with Trudy over Nuka-Cola.

- - - - - - - - - -

The moment she stepped into the gas station, she was met with a man pointing a shotgun in her face. “That’s close enough. Who are you, and what do you want with me?” he demanded.

The Courier swallowed hard, trembling. Flashes of the man in the checkered suit pointing his gun entered her mind, accompanied with a slight throbbing headache. “Um... I’m... I’m... I’m just a c-courier... I’m n-new to town. D-Doc Mitchell fixed me up after I g-got shot in the head. I’m... I’m not l-looking for trouble, I swear!” She was, in fact, more worried about trouble finding her.

The man relaxed, lowering his gun. “Sorry about the gun. You just caught me off guard, that’s all.”

She let out the breath she’d been holding in. Her muscles relaxed a bit, but she was still slightly trembling.

“The name’s Ringo. I’m a trader with the Crimson Caravan Company.” he offered his hand. She accepted and shook it, though she noticed his gaze was not on her eyes... stupid prospector dress... “J-Just call me the Courier, Mr. Ringo. Um... what’s the Crimson Caravan Company?”

“The Courier, huh? Mysterious.” He walked over to the wall of the tiny store, taking a seat on a burlap mat on the floor, leaning back against the wall. “Well, the Crimson Caravan Company has been in business for a very long time, and is probably the biggest trading outfit in California. There’s a branch up in New Vegas, but it hasn’t been doing so well. Word is that the big boss herself, Alice McLafferty, is coming in to fix things.”

She took a seat against the wall next to him, shifting uncomfortably as she folded her legs in a very ladylike position. “Th-Thank you. But, um... The reason I came to find you... D-Do you know there’s a scary man named Joe Cobb l-looking for you?”

“Yeah. He doesn’t look very tough, though. I hear he’s afraid I’ll shoot him down from one of the windows when I see him, and he’s right.” the merchant asserted with what she found as surprising confidence. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and lit one up with a bronze lighter, then offered her one. She shook her head, a slight throbbing headache already beginning from the smell of the cancer smoke.

“N-No thanks. I d-don’t smoke.” she stammered.

“Suit yourself. Anyway, I’ll have a much bigger problem when his friends show up. There’s no way I could handle all of them in a gunfight.” Ringo explained, his air of confidence fading.

“Um... I’m sorry if I shouldn’t ask, but... why is the Powder Gang after you, Mr. Ringo?”

“Just Ringo.” He sighed. “My caravan was on the return trip from California and heading back to the company branch in New Vegas when we got jumped. Not even a ‘drop your weapons and hands up’ before the bullets started flying. We put up a good fight, but there was too many of them. I took a few of the bandits down before I ran, so I figure their friends are out for revenge.”

The Courier gasped. “I’m so sorry, Ringo... So, what are you going to do about them?”

The merchant chuckled. “I’m gonna lay low as long as I can, assuming the town doesn’t throw me to the wolves. I’ve got no chance against the gang on my own.”

The Courier smiled. “Maybe I can help...”

Ringo gave a small laugh. “We’d just end up sharing the same grave if it’s just the two of us. Now, if some of the other people in town were also on board...” he trailed off. Her cue, she supposed.

“Let me ask some of the people in town, Ringo. Maybe we can form a, um... you know... militia! Or... or something.”

“Well, then. Best start with Sunny Smiles. She’s been friendlier than most around here.”

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier stepped into the Prospector Saloon to be greeted with Sunny Smiles and her loyal hound Cheyenne, relaxing by the jukebox like usual.

“Hi there. Sticking around Goodsprings for a while longer?” the unofficial sheriff greeted.

“Um... yeah. Sunny, uh... here’s the thing...” She fidgeted nervously.

“Don’t be nervous. You can tell me.”

The Courier sighed. “Um... I’m helping Ringo take on the P-Powder Gangers. I c-could use your help, and-“

“Say no more. I’m in.”

She gave a start, stunned for a moment. “J...Just like that?”

“Just like that. I have a feeling that I’m going to end up fighting those guys one way or another, so I might as well get it over with.”

“Um... a-are you sure, Sunny?”

Sunny nodded. “Of course. Joe Cobb talks about leaving us alone if we hand over Ringo, but I know his type. He and his friends will come after the town eventually. However, between you, me, and Ringo, we aren’t exactly a force to be reckoned with.”

“Um... w-what do you suggest, then?”

“A lot of people around here look up to Trudy. If you could convince Trudy to join us, some of the folks in town might decide to help out as well. I know Easy Pete’s got a stock of dynamite somewhere, and Chet just got a shipment of leather armor we could borrow. Finally, I know there’s a good chance we’ll all end up with extra holes in us, so if Doc Mitchell could cough up some extra stimpaks, that’d be great. You talk to Chet and Trudy. I’ll go talk to Easy Pete and the Doc.”

The Courier smiled. “Thanks, Sunny. You’ve been a real great friend... especially since I only just met you yesterday.” she said softly.

Sunny smiled back. “Don’t mention it. Like I said, we’re sisters. Now, Trudy’s just at the bar. I need to step outside to talk to Easy Pete. Good luck.”

The unofficial sheriff stepped around the Courier and out the door, her dog Cheyenne just a pace or two behind her. The Courier took a deep breath and made her way to the bar. She knew Trudy could be reasoned with... at least, she hoped...

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier took a seat at the bar, calling Trudy over from another customer.

“So, you’re plannin’ on takin’ on Joe Cobb’s gang.” The bartender began. “It’s a big risk, but I suppose you have to do what you think is right.”

The Courier nodded. “Um... w-we can’t do this alone, Trudy. We could really use the help of you and the other people in town.”

Trudy just crossed her arms, looking the tiny Courier up and down. “Sorry, but we don’t do things that way here. If we did, we would’ve killed Joe Cobb by now and been done with it. We’re a peaceful town, and we don’t plan on that changin’ anytime soon.”

“But... But Trudy... If you don’t unite against the Powder Gangers, they’ll walk all over you! Once they get Ringo, they’ll know Goodsprings is an easy target, and they’ll continue to manipulate everyone in town t-to get what they want! Y-You have to show them you’re a town that won’t lie down and take any abuse!” She was surprised by the tears her eyes were welling up.

Trudy put her hand to her chin, smiling and shaking her head at the Courier. “Well, I’ll be. Who knew you had such a silver tongue? All right. I think I could help. Maybe even rally the other folk in town. But I don’t want one of our own dyin’ on us. We need a plan.”

“W-Well... Sunny is going to ask Easy Pete for his dynamite, and Doctor Mitchell for some spare medical supplies. I was just g-going to talk to Chet about using his shipment of leather armor.” the Courier explained.

“Hmm... seems solid. But what about a plan of attack? We can’t let Joe Cobb get the upper hand once he arrives.” Trudy mused.

“Um... Near the saloon and store are g-good places to stage an ambush... H-How about that?”

“That does sound like a good plan... All right, you seem to know what you’re doin’, so you can count me in.”

The Courier let out a held-in breath. “Th-Thank you, Trudy. You don’t know how much this means to me...”

The bartender gave her a warm smile. “The way I see it, you’re one of us now. Lemme have a word with a few other folks and I’ll see if I can’t round up some more members for this militia you’re creatin’. While everyone does own a gun, we could stand to be a little better equipped. The General Store probably has what we need in stock. You best go see Chet. Be warned, ‘give’ ain’t in his vocabulary. But just show a little leg and he’ll be butter in your hand.”

“L-Leg?” the Courier squeaked.

The bartender’s eyes glanced down to the girl’s exposed collar bone. “Well... In your case, a bit more cleavage and a husky-soundin’ comment on how hot the store is should do the trick.”

The Courier swallowed hard, turning to leave and trying not to whimper.

- - - - - - - - - -

Chet was on break, sipping a Sunset Sarsaparilla on a chair by the entrance to his store. The door opened, and who should walk in but that tiny, busty Courier girl. She didn’t seem to notice him, since he wasn’t at the counter. “Over here.”

She turned to see him sitting in a chair to the left of the door. He had the feeling she wanted to talk, so he patted the seat next to him. She hopped into the chair, bringing her legs together and neatly folding her hands in her lap. Chet chuckled.

“Um... what is it?” the Courier asked.

“Nothin’. Just didn’t think there were still women your age out there who sat so... I dunno... ladylike. It’s cute.”

The Courier blushed, gazing down at her lap. He chuckled again. “Um... Ch-Chet, I need to ask you something important...”

“Sorry, little lady. I’m engaged.”

The Courier gave a start, looking up to stare at his smiling face. “Um... n-no, th-that wasn’t it... It’s about uh... Joe Cobb and his gang. The... the town is forming a militia t-to fight against the Powder Gangers. W-We need supplies.”

Chet shifted positions to cross one leg over the other and lean his arm over the backrest of his seat. “Now just hold on. I never voted to take on the Powder Gangers.” he defended. He crossed his arms. “That’s a thousand cap investment you’re talkin’ about.”

The Courier folded her arms to her chest, her hands clasped just at her neck, looking up at the store clerk with big, watery eyes. His own eyes were drawn to the effect her folded arms had on her... anatomy. “But... But if the Powder Gangers take over town, they’ll ruin your business, Chet! I can’t let that happen! You can’t let that happen! Please!”

Dammit... Forget silver tongues. All this little lady needed to do was wet her eyes and smash her breasts together and she’d have any man totally around her finger. He was proof, sadly. “You proved your point. Just, just... relax, before I have to cross my legs the other way.” He felt grateful she didn’t know exactly what he meant, judging from her innocent face. “I can provide people with some leather armor and extra ammo. I just sure hope it’s worth it.”

The girl’s face brightened. “Th-Thank you so much, Chet! You have no idea what this means to me...”

The store clerk sighed. He had to look away to resist the urge to wipe away the tear lingering on her single eye. “No problem, I guess. I’ll, uh, be guarding my store while all this is going on. I have to put my business first. You understand.”

To his surprise, she leaned forward and wrapped him in a big, warm hug. It was his turn to blush... He wasn’t used to this kind of affection. Not to mention her softness pressing against him... Before he could respond, she jumped off the chair and ran to the door, turning to him just before she opened it. “Thanks again, Chet. You’re the best. I need to go tell Sunny and Ringo the good news!”

And she was gone, while he was still caught up in his shock. Wow... that girl was... unique.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-29_00002.jpg

The Courier can sway any man’s heart.

- - - - - - - - - -

As she was making her way out of the General Store, she couldn’t help but notice Victor. Hmm... Securitron meant security, right? Maybe he had some weapons built in he could use. She ran up to the robot and waved him down.

“Howdy, pardner!” the robot greeted with a wave.

“Um... Victor... there’s some bad men coming to town to attack. We could use a hand defending the town. That is, um, if you can help.”

“Trouble with rustlers, huh?” the robot mused. “Count me in, pardner. Those varmints’ll be runnin’ home with their tails between their legs soon enough.”

The Courier smiled a bright smile. “Thank you so much, Victor! I need to go see Ringo to let him know we’ve got this set up! Bye!”

She waved and spun around, running toward the gas station. Victor waved back with a call of “Happy trails!”

- - - - - - - - - -

By the time the Courier got back to the gas station, it was high noon. At least by Ringo’s pocket watch. He was organizing and sorting through his Caravan deck and sipping a mug of black coffee when the door opened, the Courier stepping in.

“Ringo, Ringo!” she called as she ran up to him. He looked up to meet her gaze.

“So what’s goin’ on? Did Sunny agree to help us?” he asked, picking up one of the cards lain out in front of him and replacing it with another.

“Yes! Sunny’s with us! And so is the whole town! We’ve got our own militia!” the girl said excitedly, leaning forward and placing her hands on her knees to look down at him. The wondrous view down her dress that she was giving the merchant was a nice treat, but he didn’t think she was aware of it. Ringo tore his eyes away from the Courier to gather up his cards and slip them back in his rucksack.

“Well, I guess that means we’re ready to go. Unless you think there’s something else you can do?” he wondered, pulling himself to his feet and drinking down the last of his coffee.

“Let’s do this!” the Courier exclaimed, a fire in her eyes. It only made Ringo chuckle at her naive enthusiasm.

“All right. I’m ready... I hope.”

“Don’t worry, Ringo. We’ll do fine. I know it!”

“Well, I wish I shared your burst of confidence.”

The Courier shook her head, smiling up at the merchant. “Everyone is working together on this. There’s no way we can lose. It’s the power of teamwork, friendship, and family.”

Ringo had to stop himself from bursting out laughing. That was probably the cheesiest notion he’d ever heard, especially in times like these. But he just patted her on the top of the head. “It is now, is it? Let’s hope so.” He walked around her to the door, only for Sunny to burst in.

“Time to look alive. The Powder Gangers are here to play.”

Ringo took a step back, the door having opened on him just as he reached for the knob. “Where’s Trudy and the rest?” the Courier asked in alarm.

“They’re getting set up in cover, but it might not go well unless we get out there soon.” the unofficial sheriff explained.

“How many are there?” Ringo asked once he had found his voice.

“At least six, Joe Cobb included. They look pretty mean.”

“We better hurry, then.” the merchant said, stepping past Sunny and into the sunlight.

“Wait.” she grabbed his sleeve, stopping him. “Easy Pete came through with the dynamite. Here’s your supply.” She handed him five sticks of the explosives from a sack she was carrying, along with the same amount for the Courier behind him.

“I really hope I don’t blow myself up...” The Courier mumbled nervously.

“I’ll be set up near the store.” Sunny continued.

“Let’s hope that the gang doesn’t manage to make it that far.” The Courier replied.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier ran with Sunny and Ringo to the front of the saloon, where Trudy and some of the other folks in town were waiting with their guns. She looked out down the road to see, sure enough, six men dressed similarly to Joe Cobb, all carrying guns. The Courier dashed forward, only barely hearing Trudy’s cries to stop. She ran up to the group like a bullet, already landing a flying kick to the face before one could respond. She slugged another in the jaw when they realized she was there, sending one scrambling to work his shotgun. Before he could, the Courier dashed in, elbowed him in the stomach, and pried the firearm away from him. He was immediately shot through the head by Sunny up on the hill.

“Those Goodspring hicks are gangin’ up on us!”

A rain of bullets came down on the group, so the Powder Ganngers turned their attention on the people with guns. But the Courier looked to find the leader was nowhere to be found. That meant... oh no! She took off up the hill, running around behind the saloon to the makeshift shooting range behind it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ringo jabbed at the Powder Ganger with the butt of his caravan shotgun, but Cobb jumped to the side and shot him in the leg with his .357 magnum revolver. Ringo was down on his knees right away, grunting in pain as he clutched his bleeding thigh. Cobb stood over him, smirking.

“See what happened, Ringo? You tried to fight us, and look where it led. Not even the little militia you put together could stop us. My boys’ll make quick work of this town. We’ll loot it for everythin’ it’s worth. But don’t worry. We won’t kill you. I’m sure the Crimson Caravan Company’ll pay a nice price to get you back.”

“You... bastard!” Ringo growled, teeth clenched in pain. The Powder Ganger responded by kneeing him in the face.

“Save it. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go help my boys mop up the rest of the hicks in this town.”

Cobb turned around, only to be met with a punch square in the face. He stumbled back, looking down to see the tiny girl from earlier at the bar standing there, her fists held up in front of her, ready to strike.

“You! Now I get it... I had a feeling Ringo couldn’t convince these people to unite against us. Who are you? You’re not from here, so how’d you do it?”

The girl ran over to check on Ringo, seemingly ignoring him. The merchant assured her it was just a flesh wound, so she stood up and turned to him. “It didn’t take much, Mr. Cobb.” she asserted, her eyes narrowed in determination at him. “All it takes is some kind words and a feeling of togetherness, and you can unite even the smallest people against a greater threat.”

This girl... what the hell was up with her? This determined look, these clenched fists... this wasn’t the girl so close to tears from earlier, was it? Before he knew it, she was dashing toward him. Damn, she was fast! She threw an uppercut at his jaw, but he leaned back just in time to avoid. Next was a leg sweep, but he jumped to the side and kicked her in the gut. When she doubled over in pain, he fired a shot through her shoulder, sending her onto her ass, clutching her bleeding shoulder. “Heh... Stupid *censored*. You may be fast, but you can’t dodge a bullet.” He laughed. The Powder Ganger circled around her where she lay, panting. “You’ve caused me way too much trouble to just kill you, you stupid girl. You’ll need to pay with more than your life...” his frown rose into a smirk. “Now that I look at you... that’s some pair of tits you’ve got. Can’t kill you right away and let those go to waste.”

Her eyes widened as he stepped closer, kneeling behind her and pulling her shirt open. “Heh. No bra. Nice. I’m gonna enjoy this.”

- - - - - - - - - -

The moment the Powder Ganger’s hands were on her breasts, her voice left her. His fingers kneaded and glided over her skin, tweaking and pinching her ******, digging his nails into her soft flesh. All her strength drained out of her, a blush coming to her face and a moan escaping her lips. And this headache...

“Damn! First time I got a girl moanin’ just from rubbin’ her tits. These things must be damn sensitive!”

She barely heard his voice through the fog that filled her senses. She had to admit... through the headache, through the searing pain in her shoulder, through the fear on her nerves... She couldn’t deny the tingling warmth of arousal spreading through her, from her breasts, to her spine, to her head and womanhood. It was almost intoxicating.

“Heh heh. See? This is nice, isn’t it?” he flicked the buds of her ******, already ***** from the prodding he gave the sensitive flesh. “Just sit back and relax. This’ll be over soon.”

She opened her mouth to cry out, but her voice caught in her throat. Instead, she sobbed, tears spilling out of her eyes and down her cheeks.

“You get away from her!”

The Powder Ganger jerked forward into her back, letting out a cry of pain. She felt Joe Cobb’s cold, rough hands leave her sensitive breasts, standing up to leave her falling onto her back, panting and wheezing. Ringo had slammed the butt of his shotgun into his head, and now the Powder Ganger was turning around to face him. “I was just having fun. Guess I will have to kill you, after all.”

“Courier! Get up!” the merchant yelled as the Powder Ganger wrestled him for the shotgun.

The Courier could only faintly hear Ringo’s voice through the fog clouding her senses. What was the point of her getting up? This guy wasn’t like his flunkies. He was stronger. Tougher. Better. Like he said, she was fast, but she couldn’t outrun a bullet.

“Speed is not everything.”

A voice entered her head... She didn’t recognize it at all.

“I know. No one can dodge a bullet.”

That was her own voice... Was... Was this one of her memories?

“Oh? Fire at me.”

“Really? Sweet!”

A gunshot in her head, then the sound of a gun falling to the floor. “Ow! What the hell, old man?! Lemme go!”

“Did I not dodge your strike and descend upon you before you could react?”

“Well... yeah... but how the f*** did you do that?”

“Patience, little one. Speed is not how you dodge a bullet. You must watch closely. Listen carefully. Open your senses. Keep yourself ready.”

“s***... is this another one of your ‘stay alert’ rants?”

“You will understand some day, child. If you can insure your body is in constant motion, you can perceive your opponent’s actions just as he begins them... you can dodge a bullet before it is fired. React before your opponent can act.”

“How the f*** do I do that?”

“Keep on your feet. Stay moving. Watch your opponent. Never stop moving your feet, even if it’s just moving in one spot. React before your opponent can act.”

“Reaction before action...” the Courier whispered to herself aloud.

- - - - - - - - - -

She pulled herself to her feet and adjusted her shirt just in time for Ringo to get tossed to the ground over the Powder Ganger’s shoulder. To his credit, the merchant didn’t lose grip on his shotgun. When he turned around to look, the girl with the rack was pulling herself to her feet.

“Oh, look who woke up. Ready for round two? I get bored with ******** pretty easily, kid.” Cobb said, smirking at the disheveled girl and spinning his revolver on his finger. She wiped the saliva from her mouth, bringing her fists up and hopping slowly from one leg to another. Cobb burst out laughing. “What the hell are you doing? Hopping around like a little bunny? s***. You must’ve lost your mind.”

He aimed his gun forward and fired. To his surprise, he missed. He fired again. Wait... was this broad... He fired a few more times, and each time she hopped to the side just as he pulled the trigger. “Okay, so you’ve still got some fight left in you. Whatever you’re doin’, it won’t work. The second you-“

She charged, already upon him with blinding speed. He fired, but the gun only clicked. s***... was he empty? With surprising strength, the girl gave an upward kick, sending the gun flying from his hand. Guess he’d have to resort to good ol’ brawling. He jabbed forward, but she hopped to the side to avoid him. He gave a hook with the opposite hand, and she hopped the other way. What the hell was going on? Had she gotten faster? Was that stupid hopping from leg to leg thing actually doing something? Bringing his hands together, he swung both arms at her, but she ducked under it. Before he could respond, she jumped up and nailed him hard on the jaw with an uppercut. The Powder Ganger stumbled back, clutching his jaw and spitting out a tooth.

“f***! You little-“

He didn’t have time to finish. She jumped and nailed him right in the chest with a kick. His vest protected him, but the force made him stumble back once more. With a sweep of her leg, she knocked his own leg out from under him. He stumbled forward, and was met with a solid kick to the shin on his other leg. The Powder Ganger let out a cry of pain, falling to his knees. The next thing he knew, an elbow struck his throat. Before he could even clutch his neck in pain, a right hook hit him right in the face, then a left hook. Damn, where’d this girl get this kind of strength? He pulled himself to his feet, shaking the daze from his mind and looking up to see... she was gone!

“Over here!”

He turned around to see her standing on the fence. “What’re you-“

He never got the chance to finish that thought. She jumped into the air and landed on his shoulders, wrapping her legs around his head. From the ***** *****, the earlier *********** got her ***, but that amusing thought was interrupted when he felt a searing pain in his neck. With a twist of her hips, his neck snapped, and that was the end of Joe Cobb.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ringo limped up to the Courier just as she fell to the ground along with the dead Powder Ganger. “Hey! You okay?!” he shouted as he turned her over and rested her head in his lap. She looked up at him with a dreamy expression, made a pained chuckle, and... Heh. She gave him a thumbs up.

“Don’t worry. I’ll take you to the Doc.” Ringo said, lifting her up in his arms. “That was a... what do you call it?” he began as he carried her, limping to the front of the saloon. “I’ve heard about it. A boxing technique. I think they use it in tennis, too. You hop from foot to foot to make sure your feet stay moving. That boosts your reaction time and helps get your blood flowing faster, right? Where the hell did you learn that?”

The Courier just gave a pained laugh. “When I find out...” she groaned. “I’ll let you know.”

Ringo smiled, giving a chuckle in response. He looked to see Trudy and Sunny running up. Well... looks like everything turned out okay, just like the girl said. She really was one of a kind... Where the hell did she come from, anyway?

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier woke up in a bed... completely naked once more, she noted. She pulled the covers over herself when she heard a man clear his throat. Turning, it was Doc Mitchell.

“D-D-Doctor? Wh-Where are my-“

“It’s okay, little lady.” The doctor assured her. “I managed to get the bullet outta your shoulder and heal you up with a super stimpak. Milly is washin’ your clothes.”

“Um... Milly?”

“Oh, you must not a got her name. She’s the one you saved from the geckos down at the water source. Chet’s fiance, actually.”

Her eyes widened. “Chet mentioned he was engaged... you mean...?”

“Yep. He just found out. Said you could come by his store before you left town and take whatever supplies you needed, invoice or not. The whole town’d be there to see you off, too. It’s been a day since Joe Cobb attacked the town.”

“But... Oh! How is everyone, Doctor? Where’s Ringo?” she exclaimed.

“Ringo’s fine. He’ll have to stay a few days in town for his leg to heal up. In fact, he wanted to see you.”

She was about to ask something else when the Crimson Caravan merchant himself walked in, an obvious limp in his step.

“Ringo!” she cried with joy.

“Relax, little lady.” He took a seat next to the bed. “I owe you a huge favor for this. Here... These are technically Crimson Caravan funds, but... I know they’ll understand once I explain things.”

He handed her... well, a small satchel filled with well over a handful of bottlecaps. She stared at it, shocked. “R-Ringo... I can’t take this...”

“Of course you can.” The merchant chuckled. “And that’s not all. I’m not the only survivor of the Powder Ganger attack on my caravan.”

“You’re not?”

“Nope. Two of my pack brahmin survived. I’d like you to have one to keep. Her name’s Bess. I know she’ll like you.”

“But... one of your pack brahmin? But... I can’t... I... I don’t know what to say...”

“You don’t have to say anything, Courier. I owe you my life. And it’s safe to say, no one in town died in the attack, while all the Powder Gangers that attacked are dead. The town owes you a great debt. Trudy even says she owes you a few rounds on the house in the saloon. But, we know you’ll be leaving soon to track down the guys who shot you in the head, so... be sure to say your goodbyes before you go.”

He stood up, turning to leave. “Just so you know, I’ll be staying around a while longer until my leg heals up. If you ever visit New Vegas, look me up at the Crimson Caravan Company. Thanks again for all your help, mystery Courier.”

While she was still in shock, he left. But right before he stepped out the door, he popped back in and cleared his throat, pointing downward. She looked, only to see she had forgotten about the blanket, and her chest was totally exposed. With a shriek, she pulled the blanket back over her body, looking to see Ringo leave with a chuckle.

- - - - - - - - - -

With a backpack and pack brahmin full of supplies, the Courier said goodbye to the people of Goodsprings. To them, she would always be one of them, forever a member of the family. The party that saw her off as she left was full of warm smiles, while tears fell from the Courier’s eyes at the kind words they offered. Before she left, she made a stop by Victor’s shack, to say goodbye to the robot who saved her life, like a knight made of shining armor.

“Victor!” she greeted as she approached, Bess just behind her. She had decorated the pack brahmin’s four horns each with a light blue ribbon, along with a fifth ribbon on the end of her tail.

“Howdy, pardner!” the robot greeted back. “So when do the rustlers show up?”

The Courier was taken aback at first. “Um... Victor... they were here just the other day. The fight’s long over...”

“Really?” the robot replied in surprise. “I musta dosed off there for a minute. Although, that’s never happened before...”

“Um... Victor... Mind if I take a look inside you for a bit? I’m just... afraid there may be data corruption in one of your memory chips... I-If you don’t mind me looking, that is.”

“All right. But put everything back the way ya found it!”

Blushing, she stepped around the robot and opened up the control panel on his back. And why wouldn’t she blush? For a robot, she was getting very personal, wasn’t she? At least, that’s what she figured. Victor didn’t seem to mind all that much, though. After a quick look at his memory log and pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose, she closed his compartment and scratched her head in confusion.

“Um... it looks like an override command was activated remotely, but there’s no record of who sent it. Uh... Override Command Sixteen-Delta... d-does that mean anything to you, Victor?”

“Never heard of it.” The robot replied. “Override? That can’t be right. I really meant it when I said I’d help ya. Probably just a malfunctioning tube somewhere. Anyway, I truly am sorry I couldn’t help you, pardner.”

“It’s okay, Victor. I, um... I just wanted to say goodbye before I left.”

“You’re leavin’, pardner?”

The Courier looked down at her feet, her hands folded in front of her. “I’m sorry, Victor. I have to. As much as I love it here in Goodsprings, I need to track down the men who shot me. I need to find out who I am.”

“It’s all right. I understand, pardner. Hopefully we’ll see each other again someday.”

She looked up at him, smiling. “I hope so too, Victor. Thank you again for saving me.”

“It was no trouble, pardner. Happy trails!”

“Thank you, Victor!”

With that, she turned and left, Bess on her tail. With her time in Goodsprings over with, the Courier made her way south towards Primm, hoping to see if any record of her past remained at the Mojave Express. Hopefully, her time there would be less trying than her times in Goodsprings, but with just as many new friends, and possibly a new member to her growing family.

- - - - - - - - - -

Author’s Notes:

1. Chet really does sell boxing tape.

2. Bess based on the “Pack Brahmin Companion” mod made by Vio and Ellyon. Renamed from “Star Destroyer” to “Bess” as a reference to the companion from Fallout 2. If anyone can add the ribbons to a unique Brahmin model for screenshots, I’d be grateful.

3. The “Leather Backpack” that my Courier is wearing is based on the mod by d_ivanov. It’s my favorite backpack mod.

4. The altered Prospector Outfit and Eye Gauze are custom projects from one of the modders on the Nexus. I'd tell you who it is, but I don't want him getting flooded with requests for things. He and I kinda worked out a payment for his services.

5. This fanfic was originally rated mature. Since the forum has a lower age rating than the Nexus website itself, I had to tone it down with some gratuitous censoring. It’s really not all that explicit. I’m a good enough writer to avoid using the raunchiest words and keep it tasteful. But I’m not taking any chances here. Interested in the uncensored version? I might post it to fanfiction.net. Tell me if you want me to. I tried to be careful, but I may have to censor it further if a moderator complains. In my defense, writing is art.

Edited by Cyberweasel89

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I do not own Fallout. It belongs to Bethesda, who purchased the rights from Black Isle.

- - - - - - - - - -

Unknown Origins

By Cyberweasel89

Chapter 2: Law and Order

- - - - - - - - - -

Smudges... Just... blurry smudges...

“Say, wanna go explore the old ruins?”

The voice of a boy... a young boy...

“Nah. Momma’s tryin’ to teach me how to cook again.”

That was her own voice... but younger... about as young as the boy...

“Man, that sucks. I know how much you hate that stuff.”

“Tell me ‘bout it. But you’ve got it worse. Your old man’s makin’ ya hunt with him.”

Her voice sounded so rough... it wasn’t quiet and soft like it is now...

“Yeah. I’d much rather go check out the old holotapes at the library. That... what do they call it?”

“The knowledge of the Old World? Too bad. Only scholars look at that s*** for a living. It sucks, but you were selected to be a hunter.”

The blurry smudges were getting clearer... the boy in front of her was beginning to take shape...

“Yeah. I love that Old World stuff. It looked like such an amazing time. The entertainment, the government, the lifestyles. It was so...”

“Yeah, yeah. Ya don’t have to go off on an awegasm on me.”

“Sorry. Can’t help it. Man, I wish I was born a scholar instead of a hunter. I hate how this town works.”

“At least you’re not cookin’ and craftin’ s***. Gag me!”

It looked like she was at the top of a high cliff... overlooking a sprawling prairie below her... the boy was beginning to look sharper. She could make out his outline, but still couldn’t see any of his features.

“So, how about tomorrow? We can go down to the creek and skip rocks on the water.” the boy suggested.

“Sounds good. Wanna sleep over at my place tonight? Ya know, like we used to do?” she heard herself suggest.

“Awesome! Can’t wait!”

A muffled voice shouted something in the distance. “Looks like your old man is callin’ ya.” the boy said.

“Dammit. Well, see ya tonight,-“ she heard herself say his name, but it was muffled, as if through a covered mouth.

“Yeah, see ya tonight.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Her single eye shot open. As she sat upright on her bedroll, she looked around to find it had just been a dream. Bess was standing close by, standing upright as she slept. Her clothes, the only outfit she wore, lay folded up on her pack nearby. The only thing she was wearing was the bandages over her right eye. Yep. She was in the Mojave Wasteland.

Was... was that one of her memories? Who was that boy? It seemed like... whoever he was... they were really close... Best friends, possibly...

So... who was he? And more importantly... who was she?

Sighing, she curled back down on her bedroll and tried to drift back to sleep again. She needed her rest if they were going to reach Primm tomorrow...

- - - - - - - - - -

She knew she was approaching Primm when she saw the roller coaster in the distance. It had taken her a day, but she managed to camp out in some building called Jean Sky Diving, or something. It was a relatively easy trip. The only trouble she came across was a camp of three Powder Gangers, a small herd of geckos, and a lone bloatfly. She made quick work of them with her fists. Her footwork technique proved quite handy for dodging the Powder Gangers’ bullets, much to their shock. She still didn’t have the full hang of it, though. A bullet grazed her shoulder. When it was over, she used some of the healing powder Sunny had made for her, and it healed right up when she slept it off.

As she followed the highway up to Primm, she had to guide Bess through a dip in the road. The brahmin had a bit of trouble with the hill. To be honest, she was good company, though she wasn’t much help in a fight. The second danger showed, she took off and stayed out of the way while the Courier took care of the problem. Still, Bess was hers, and that made her one of the family.

Finally coming to the entryway to Primm, she couldn’t help but notice a flag hanging on a pole in the middle of the road with a red star and a two-headed bear on it. Maybe it was Primm’s official flag?

“Hey, where the hell do you think you’re goin’? Primm is off limits.”

A man in a beige combat uniform and goggle helmet stopped her just as she entered town. She gave a start, fidgeting nervously under his harsh gaze. “Um... uh... I’m s-sorry... I was just heading in t-to… uh… I-Is something going on in Primm, sir?”

“Some convicts from the prison up the road have taken over the town. Everyone inside is either dead or in hiding. What’s more, there’re two tribes of raiders causing trouble in this area as well. You’d be safer headin’ back up to Goodsprings.”

The Courier swallowed hard. Convicts? Taken over town? “Um... Sh-Shouldn’t someone go in there and s-save everyone?” she stammered.

“We’d love to, but they don’t fall under NCR jurisdiction. Even if they did, we’re in no shape to protect them.”

NCR? Was that what that flag was for? And was this a soldier’s uniform? “Wh-Why not?”

“We don’t have the equipment to take out the convicts, and even if we did we need some extra hands for backup. You should talk to Lieutenant Hayes. He’s in a tent down the road. Just stay on the west side of the overpass if you don’t want to get shot.

She swallowed hard once again. “Th-Thank you sir.”

She pressed on into town. At the very least, the NCR impressed her in one way...

None of the soldiers seemed to stare at her cleavage, she noted with a bright smile. Military training, perhaps?

- - - - - - - - - -

She found where the NCR was making a camp, and was greeted by a Sergeant McGee, who directed her to one of the tents to speak to Lieutenant Hayes if she had questions. She hitched Bess to a streetlight pole outside, pausing to adjust the ribbons on the pack brahmin’s four horns and tail, and slipped into the tent. A man in a beret was inside with a female soldier, sitting at a table and going over some papers. He turned to look at her when she entered, hastily putting the papers away. She only made out the words ‘military orders’, but to her joy, his eyes remained only on her eyes, not anywhere lower.

“I’m Lieutenant Hayes of the New California Republic Army, Fifth Battalion, First Company. What’s your business?” he greeted, very formally.

She went to stand on the opposite side of the table he was sitting at, saluting him as best she could. “I’m just a Courier, sir, looking to report back to the Mojave Express following the failure of my delivery.”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to salute me when you’re not a soldier.” he noted with a subtle smile.

She blushed and rubbed the back of her head. “Oh... S-Sorry... Um… what are you doing here camped at Primm, sir? I-If you don’t mind me asking...”

The Lieutenant crossed his arms. “We were sent out here to hold back the tide of convicts from the correctional facility. As you can probably tell, we aren’t doing the kind of job we could be doing.”

“Why? What’s wrong?” she asked with concern. He sighed in response.

“Surprisingly, the mission itself isn’t the problem. The problem is with supplies. The convicts are better armed and organized than our intel initially suggested. I’m trying to get some reinforcements here, maybe some guns with some firepower, but... s***...” He sighed once more. “Things are just going slow.”

“Oh... I’m sorry… Um, can you tell me anything about the convicts?”

“We don’t know as much as we could. They’ve taken to calling themselves Powder Gangers. Mostly because they’ve taken to using the explosives meant to clear boulders as weapons. They got organized faster than I would’ve thought, most of them at least. Thankfully the small group in town here seem to have split off from the main force, so they aren’t getting anything in the way of support.”

“Oh. That explains why Joe Cobb and his group were alone...” the Courier mused. Lieutenant Hayes raised an eyebrow at her. “Oh! Sorry. I dealt with a gang of Powder Gangers back at Goodsprings, sir. They were led by a man named Joe Cobb.”

“Joe Cobb? Name sounds familiar. Might’ve been one of the convicts at the correctional facility.”

“Y-Yeah, he said he came from there. Um... what can you tell me about this correctional facility?”

“Most people just call it NCRCF. That’s NCR Correctional Facility. A little bit ago the convicts there staged a coup. Killed the guards that weren’t able to escape... and have been ransacking the area since then.”

“Oh... I’m sorry... D-Do you plan to retake the facility, or anything?”

“That’s classified.”

She swallowed hard, fidgeting nervously. “Um... I’m... I’m sorry...”

“It’s fine.” he dismissed with a wave of his hand. “I’m afraid I can’t offer you any protection through town. You’re on your own once you reach the other side of that overpass bridge.”

“Oh... Um, I have a pack brahmin outside. Uh... Could I leave her here? Please?”

The Lieutenant nodded. “Sure. We’ll look after her until you finish your business in Primm.”

“Th-Thank you, sir.” she said, managing a weak smile.

“Don’t mention it.” He didn’t smile back...

- - - - - - - - - -

She waved to a soldier right by the overpass bridge, who waved back with a comment about how he hoped there’d be more gambling with this assignment. She giggled and began her way across the bridge. She stopped at the sight of the mines dotting the path. She knew they were dangerous, but they were probably there for a reason. Likely to keep the Powder Gangers from entering this side of town. So she slowly and carefully stepped around them, on tippy-toes and holding her breath the entire time.

The moment she neared the intersection, bullets whizzed past her. She turned to see two Powder Gangers firing at her from her left with 9mm pistols. Hopping from leg to leg, she strafed her way over to the closer one, diving in and giving him a sock to the gut. He stumbled, dropping his pistol, so she dove in with an uppercut to his jaw, then a palm strike to his chest. The other Powder Ganger stopped shooting, staring as she grabbed his stumbling partner’s head and twisted it, leaving him crumbling to the ground. She dashed in on the second one, jumping to give him a double kick to the chest. The crunch told her that his ribs shattered, so she snapped his spine with her foot to put him out of his misery.

Normally, she wasn’t one to go through the dead’s pockets. But she couldn’t help but notice the dynamite these guys had. She really didn’t want anyone finding it and blowing themselves up, so she pocketed the six sticks in her backpack. She’d have to hand these in to the NCR. It was technically their dynamite, right?

Sighing and flexing her fingers, she made her way over to the Mojave Express building. A man in overalls lay against the wall by the door, so she hurried over to make sure he was okay. Sure enough, he was dead. But she found a piece of paper in his pocket. She hastily skimmed it over.

- - - - - - - - - -

INSTRUCTIONS

Deliver the package at the north entrance to the Vegas Strip, by way of Freeside. An agent of the recipient will meet you at the checkpoint, take possession of the package, and pay for the delivery. Bring the payment to Johnson Nash at the Mojave Express agency in Primm.

Bonus on completion: 250 Caps

MANIFEST

This package contains:

Two (2) Oversized Dice, composed of fuzzy material

CONTRACT PENALTIES

You are an authorized agent of the Mojave Express Package until the delivery is complete and payment has been processed, contractually obligated to complete this transaction and materially responsible for any malfeasance or loss. Failure to deliver to the proper recipient may result in forfeiture of your advance and bonus, criminal charges, and/or pursuit by mercenary reclamation teams. The Mojave Express is not responsible for any injury or loss of life you experience as a result of said reclamation efforts.

- - - - - - - - - -

This man... he was a courier, like her. This note was just like the one she had, only instead of a platinum poker chip, it was some oversized fuzzy dice. Judging by the content of his pockets, he didn’t have the dice anymore. Could he have been killed after he delivered the package? Or did his killer take the dice? She figured she’d find more answers inside the building. She scanned the note into her Pip-Boy for later and placed it back in the man’s pocket.

Inside she found no one. There was a radio on the counter still playing music next to a broken robot, while what looked like two casseroles sat on two plates on the table, half-eaten. Whatever happened, whoever lived here abandoned their home in a hurry. If they were in hiding with the other people in town, there were two major buildings they could hide in. She’d start with the one just across the street, where the two Powder Gangers had been loitering.

- - - - - - - - - -

“I don’t know what it was brought you to Primm, youngster, but you might wanna rethink your plans. Town’s gone to hell.”

She gave a start when an older man addressed her the moment she entered the building. He was idly puffing a cigarette, so she decided she’d keep a fair distance away. The smell of those fumes gave her such a headache... “Wh-Who are you?” she stammered.

“Johnson Nash’s my name. Husband to Ruby Nash. Lived in Primm goin’ on eight years now, thick and thin. I’m a trader primarily, for what it’s worth with things like they are. I also run the local Mojave Express outpost.” he explained. His tone was noticeably friendly. He tossed his cigarette butt into a nearby garbage bin, so she chanced to move closer, recoiling only when he pulled his gun out and started cleaning it.

“Um... Oh! You’re Johnson Nash? I’m a Courier with the Mojave Express! I’m so glad I finally found you!”

“Well, I don’t got any work right now, sorry to say.”

“No, I mean... I... I lost a package I was supposed to deliver, sir. And my memories in the process...”

“Amnesia, huh? Shoot, that’s a problem. I’ll tell ya whatever I can. Ya have a delivery order you can show me?”

She nodded excitedly, hurriedly setting her backpack down and pulling out the delivery order she was found with. “C-Can you tell me anything about this job, sir?” she asked, handing it to him.

Nash pulled out some reading glasses from his pocket and read the note over. “Oh, so you’re talkin’ about one of them packages. That job had strange written all over it. But we couldn’t turn down the caps.”

She tilted her head to the side a bit. “Strange? What do you mean?”

“That cowboy robot had us hire six couriers. Each was carryin’ somethin’ a little different. A pair of dice, a chess piece, that kind of stuff.” The man explained. “Last word I had from the office, it looked like payment had been received for the other five jobs. Guess it was just your chip that didn’t make it.”

“Um... cowboy robot? L-Like the one over there?” she gestured to the Protectron wandering around further in the building. Nash shook his head.

“Nope. Different fella. Bigger. Had himself a face on a screen, and he talked more like you or me. What happened to that package, anyway?”

“Um... I’m sorry... A man in a checkered suit stole my package, along with some men in leather and bandanas. D-Did they pass through here, maybe?”

“Well, now that you mention it, a few nights back one of the townies was out scavenging for supplies. He said he saw a fella with a daisy suit come through with some of them Great Khan misfits. They was talkin’ about a chip.”

“O-One of those men shot me in the head... and took my past from me.” she recalled with a shudder. “I... I need to know where they were headed. Please.”

“Well, for that, your best bet is goin’ to be talkin’ to Deputy Beagle. Since they came to town he was keepin’ a good bit of notes on ‘em, and he was slinkin’ around Bison Steve when your pretty-boy friend came through. He may have heard where they were goin’.”

“Okay... Th-Thank you, sir.”

“No problem. Strangest thing, though...”

“What? Wh-What is it?”

“Naw, it’s nothin’.” The man dismissed.

“Please. If it might help me figure out who I am, I need to know, Mr. Nash.” she pleaded.

“Well... First deadbeat we hired to do the job cancelled.” Nash explained bitterly. “Hope a storm from the Divide skins him alive. Well, that’s where you came in.”

“He... He cancelled?”

“Yeah, got this look when he saw you next down on the Courier list. His expression turned right around, asked me if your name was for real. I said, sure as lack of rain, you were still kickin’. Then he turned down the job, just like that. I asked if he was sure, it was good money. No, let ‘Courier Six’ carry the package, that’s what he said. Like the Mojave’d sort you out or somethin’. Then he just up and walked out.”

“R-Really? H-He might know who I am! D-Do you know who he was? Where he went?” she exclaimed.

“Easy there, youngster. Calm down. I got no idea. Sounds like you two had a history for him to act like that. And turn down the money, too. Hope he didn’t see any trouble in that package of yours. Maybe he thought your name was bad luck. Not for me to say.”

“Oh... Well, hopefully, I’ll run into him. Uh, do you know my name, by the way?”

“I’m afraid I don’t remember, little lady. The order was made in a hurry, so all we got was your signature. I can show it to ya, but Primm’s streets ain’t safe right now.”

“Primm... this town seems like it has trouble, sir. Wh-What happened?”

The man sighed. “Primm’s gone to hell. Been tough around here for a good while now. Worse since them thugs kidnapped our deputy. It started with that breakout from the prison up the road. First there was just a few thugs rollin’ through town, but then they got organized. Now they call themselves Powder Gangsters or somethin’, and run around throwin’ dynamite and shootin’ people. Little while ago a good chunk of them left whatever kind of organization they got up there to squeeze all the food and drink out of us they could.”

“Um... You said Powder Gangers kidnapped Primm’s deputy?” she gasped.

“Well, you can call Beagle a deputy so long as you don’t harbor too high an opinion of the word. Boy was ‘bout as useful as tits on a radscorpion.” She crossed her arms over her breasts self-consciously, but was subtle about it. “Only qualification he ever had was to be brother to the wife of the sheriff. Still, I s’pose he don’t deserve what’s befell him. We woulda considered payin’ the ransom... if we had caps to spare.”

“Oh... Um... is there anything I can do to help the town, sir?”

“Right now Beagle is the closest Primm’s got to any organized law, but he’s still stuck up in Bison Steve. First thing I’d say is get his sorry butt outta there.”

She tilted her head to the side a bit. “Um... Bison Steve?”

“It’s an old hotel and casino here in town. Old Laurie used to rent out rooms there, but she took off months ago. Across the way from the Vikki and Vance. The other old casino. Can’t miss it.”

“Um... Vikki and Vance... that’s this casino, right?” she asked.

“That’s where we are, yeah. This here little casino brought some cash and bodies into the town before them Powder Gangsters came in. They can’t rush us without eating a good bit a hot lead, be we are in a kinda box canyon. Guess this is as fitting a place for that as any. I reckon if they thought hard enough about it, they’d realize they got more bodies than we have bullets, but for now we’re safe enough in here.”

“Um... W-Would it be okay if I rescued your deputy for you?”

Nash looked surprised at the request. She didn’t feel like it was all that shocking... was it? These people needed help, right? “I reckon you could, if you feel up to it. But ya could use some help.”

“Um... help?”

“There’s a beat up old robot on the counter of my store.”

“Oh! I saw that when I popped in there. Wh-Where did it come from?”

“A courier dropped it off a couple months back. I got it working for a little while, but the darn thing pooped out. I haven’t been able to get it up and runnin’ again. I was hopin’ to use it for some courier work, but that ain’t gonna happen.”

“Um... why? What’s wrong with it?” she asked. She was quite curious about this mysterious robot.

“Hell if I know. I don’t think it’s serious, but my tinkerin’ days are long gone.” Nash dismissed.

“Um... d-do you mind if I take a look at it?”

“I was gonna suggest that. If you can get it workin’ again, it’s yours. From what I can tell, it’s got reinforced armor and a right powerful laser weapon, so it might be of help against them Powder Gangsters.”

“Okay. Thank you. I’ll go check on it right now. Um... Hopefully I’ll be back with your deputy!”

She turned around and ran back outside, living Nash shaking his head and chuckling.

- - - - - - - - - -

For the second time, she entered the Nash residence, this time examining the robot on the counter closely. A look inside, and she found... Wow. While she had been able to fix Trudy’s radio, the inner mechanisms of a robot were above her skills and knowledge. She paced around the room trying to figure out what to do, when she noticed two magazines on the bedside table. One was about mechanical repair, called ‘Fixin’ Things’. The other was about computer programming, titled ‘Programmer’s Digest”. She hoped Mr. Nash wouldn’t mind if she took a peek at them. A quick flip through the pages of both magazines showed detailed diagrams and explanations of mechanics and electronics, including those commonly found in robots. She ran back to the broken bot and took a look inside it, comparing it to the information in the magazines. Hmmm... From the least she could tell with her limited knowledge, some of the robot’s servos and gyroscopes needed to be recalibrated and replaced. She might be able to fix it with the proper parts. Looking around, she saw two piles of scrap metal on the counter next to the robot along with a wrench. That should help. But she needed some bits of wiring and a sensor module. She stepped outside.

- - - - - - - - - -

It seemed the old dumpsters all over town were a treasure trove of electronic junk. She not only found some more bits of scrap metal, but the wiring she needed and not one, but two sensor modules. She hurried back to the Mojave Express with the parts in her arms. Grabbing a screwdriver, she disassembled the two modules and used the components along with the metal and wiring to replace the missing parts. Smiling at her work, she closed the robot’s compartment and booted it up. It hummed to life, hovering just over her head, to her surprise. A floating robot? Without the jet of a Mr. Handy? It faced her and made some beeping sounds.

“Um... Hello?” she asked it, unsure of what to say. The robot made some whirring noises in response. “Um... I fixed you. I hope you don’t mind. Uh, do you have a name?” More beeps and whirrs. Hm. Looks like this was a robot that wasn’t made to talk like most others. From the looks of it, it was incredibly weathered, but no serious damage. It had reinforced armor, so it looked durable enough for combat. Wait... there was something stuck to its backside. The Courier gestured the robot towards her with her finger, and it surprisingly complied. She turned it around to look at what was on it’s back. Hmmm... A bumper sticker and a license plate? The bumper sticker read ‘My child is an HONOR STUDENT at Roosevelt Academy’. The license plate was even stranger. It looked to be from Illinois. But that didn’t make much sense. Illinois was far, far to the northeast of here. Did this robot really come all the way from there? The plate read ‘2ED-E59’, but the numbers were much more faded than the letters, so it looked more like ‘ED-E’.

“Hmmm... Eee-dee-eee? Umm... I know! I’ll call you Edy! I-Is that alright with you?”

The robot made some energetic beeping and whirring sounds in response. The Courier smiled.

“Great! How about you travel with me and Bess? We can keep each other company.”

The robot again energetically beeped and whirred, making the Courier giggle. “Okay, Edy. I hope you’re ready for some fighting. We need to go rescue Primm’s deputy from some Powder Gangers. Okay?”

A single beep in response. She took that as a yes. With that, the pair made their way across the street to the Bison Steve Hotel.

- - - - - - - - - -

The moment she entered the Bison Steve Hotel through the front doors, Edy started playing off some kind of music. A Powder Ganger jumped up from behind some overturned tables used as makeshift cover. Seemed they were prepared for someone to try and play hero. Edy shot his pistol out of his hand with her laser, then a few well-placed shots to his torso and head, and he was dead. The Courier released a sigh of relief. She only hoped Edy hadn’t alerted the other gang members to their presence.

She crouched down low and snuck around along the perimeter of the room, finding only a locked door and a password protected computer. There was little of value in the entrance room, but the dead guard had some bottlecaps, NCR money, and stimpaks on him. Again, she wasn’t one to steal from the dead, but if she didn’t take it now it might fall into the wrong hands again.

She crept down the hall, being careful not to make a sound. Despite the darkness of the hall, she didn’t dare turn on her Pip-Boy light, lest it make any enemies notice her. She made a left through an open door, and found what must have been a gift shop. The coast was clear, so she took a look around. It was mostly littered with empty Nuka-Cola bottles, empty Sunset Sarsaparilla bottles, toy cars, and teddy bears. She felt bad seeing the poor plushies lying about, dirty and stepped on. But she had a mission to do. She grabbed a few bottle caps off the counter, and even pocketed a few bills of Old World money. She wasn’t sure why. She just felt like she should... even though the urge came with a small throb of pain in her cranium.

She left the gift shop and came upon an elevator down a small hall to the right. It was broken, though, and she sure didn’t have the know-how to fix it. She’d have to take the long way around. Next was a long room lined with chairs. A door at the end and to the left was labeled ‘maintenance’, but it was locked. She turned and continued down the hall as it turned right, and was surprised to find a Powder Ganger standing there, facing the other way! She crept up behind him, sprung up, grabbed him by the head, and twisted his neck before he could call for help. In his pockets were more NCR money and some dynamite, which she quickly confiscated.

Around the corner was a Nuka-Cola vending machine and an Eat-a-Tronic food dispenser. She found two bottles of the delicious nectar in the machine, which she pocketed for later. While she was fiddling to get the Eat-a-Tronic open to see if it at least had some bubblegum, she heard Edy’s music start playing. Whirling around, she saw her faithful robot shoot down a Powder Ganger who had been returning from another area of the building. Relieved that Edy had her back, she searched him for yet more NCR money and dynamite. How much of this stuff did they have? Returning to the Eat-a-Tronic, it had only two things in it. A tin of Mentats and a pack of delicious bubblegum. She stuffed both in her backpack.

To her right was a closed door and ahead was the other hall that the Powder Ganger came out of. She decided to head through the door, just in case more were coming soon. It turned out to be a stairwell. Hmmm... they were probably holding him upstairs somewhere. Best investigate.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-29_00003.jpg

Using stealth to fight the Powder Gangers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well, that was interesting. The second floor turned out to be just another prowling ground for the Powder Gangers. She and Edy ended up having to kill five of them up there. She killed the first two unseen with some well-timed neck twists, but as misfortune would have it, one of the convicts rounded the corner before she could duck back into the other hallways. Her discovery only led to a bullet and laser storm as the remaining three ganged up on her and her faithful robot. She didn’t find the deputy up there, but the spoils were worth it. She found a lot of NCR money, a surprising amount of bottlecaps, a few stimpaks, some various chems, and now her backpack was stuffed full of dynamite to return to Lieutenant Hayes. She did find something unique, though. Two things, actually.

First, she found a ransom note. At first she thought it was written by the Powder Gangers about the deputy, but from what she could tell, it was recorded Pre-War. It told a man named Mr. Peterson to leave some unmarked bills at the Bison Steve Hotel if he wanted his wife back. Huh. At least that proved to her that there’s always been bad people around, before and after the Great War.

Second, she found a key on one of the Powder Gangers. It opened a gun cabinet up on the third floor in a wrecked room. She really didn’t have any room for the shotgun and ammunition inside, though. Had to make sure this dynamite got back safely to the NCR.

Coming back down stairs, she made her way, finally, to the hall where Edy killed the Powder Ganger that snuck up on her. It led to a large, open room. Probably once a dining hall, but it was significantly redecorated by the convicts taking up residence there. Two of the Powder Gangers were chatting in front of a flaming barrel. Maybe she could sneak in and kill one while Edy got the other. She signaled to the robot, though she wasn’t sure if she understood her meaning. The moment she stepped into the light of the fire, she wouldn’t have the shadows to hide in, so she could only hope the two convicts were engrossed in their conversation. She listened closely.

“So that deputy, right?”

“Yeah, the one we got in the kitchen?”

“I know, right? He’s such a total pussy. I didn’t even have to torture him to make him cry. All I had to do was threaten him. Heh.”

“I dunno why the boss wants to hold him for ransom. I don’t think the townies care much about a lawman as useless as him.”

“I know, right? The boss is crazy. I’m thinkin’ of joinin’ back up with the gang at the NCRCF.”

“What about Joe Cobb? Didn’t he run off to start his own gang?”

“Yeah, but Cobb’s a moron. He’ll just end up gettin’ done in by some people he thought were weak when they wasn’t.”

“Some people he underestimated, ya mean?”

“Yeah, I guess we’re getting’ kinda low on that.”

“Huh?”

“We’re under stim-ated. Isn’t that what you said?”

“Idiot! Not stimpaks! Just... ugh... Why do you have to-“

Now was her chance. She crept up behind the one on the right, lunged up, and snapped his neck. The second one stared for a moment before he came to his senses and pulled out his pistol. He turned to Edy when she opened fire on him. What she didn’t expect was a third to enter from the nearby kitchen. He pulled out his shotgun and started firing at the Courier. She took to hopping from leg to leg, nimbly strafing to and fro to avoid the shots and close in on the Powder Ganger. The look on his face was one of surprise when she nailed an open-palm strike to his chest. He stumbled back, dropping his shotgun, so she swept his right leg out from under him and whacked him in the forehead with her own head. She had to admit, it hurt, but it was worth trying. When he was still gripping his head, she jumped in and kicked him in the chest. His ribs shattered, weakened by the earlier palm strike, and with a final stomp he was dead.

Whew. Looks like Edy finished up with the third Powder Ganger. She took a look at what they were carrying and found some more NCR dollars and dynamite, along with some caps as well. Rest assured, she’d be turning in the first two to Lieutenant Hayes. This dynamite belonged to the NCR no doubt, while the money was likely from ill-gotten means. The syringe of Psycho on one of them, though, she’d keep for herself. She didn’t plan on using it, but some chems on hand might prove useful at some point.

Stepping into the kitchen, she found a man in leather armor tied up on the ground. She walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder.

“I don’t suppose you came here to rescue me? I’d cross my fingers, but my hands are numb.”

“Um... A-Are you Deputy Beagle, sir?” she asked.

“Why yes I am. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m in a bit of a predicament here. I’d be most appreciative if you set me free.”

She blushed at how polite and eloquent he was. At least, compared to the other citizens of Primm. The Powder Gangers may have made him out to be a useless scaredy-cat, but at least he had manners. “Of course. But, um... how’d you end up being a hostage, Deputy?”

“I must say it’s been the low point of my career in law enforcement. The Powder Gangers stole into town at night and murdered my sister and her husband, the sheriff, in bed, while I was sleeping in the office. I watched them for a bit, waitin’ for the right moment to pounce and arrest the lot of them, taking careful notes as I watched. To my dismay, they found me while I waited in the shadows and brought me here.”

“I’m so sorry, Deputy... um... While you were observing, did you happen to see some Great Khans and a man in a checkered suit pass through town?”

He smiled. She found it an oddly charming smile. “My good lady... I believe I may have some information that would prove useful. If you would just untie my hands I’d be more than happy to share what information I have with you.”

“Of course, Deputy, sir. Thank you so much!”

She set to work untying his legs and wrists. She had to admit, the knots were tight. The Powder Gangers obviously intended not to release him any time soon. But she managed to finally get them off with a chef knife from the nearby counter. Beagle stood up and flexed his wrists, like they were sore.

“Oh, that’s just marvelous. I think I’ll be makin’ my way outside now. The air’s a little close in here.”

“W-Wait!”

He stopped just as he began to walk off, turning to look at her.

“Th-There may be more Powder Gangers in the building. Y-You’ve been through a lot, so I know you’re in no shape to fight, but if we go together, I can keep you safe! Please! I promised the people of Primm I’d get you back safely!”

He gave her that charming smile again. “Oh, that’s so gracious of you to offer to bodyguard me like that. But I’d only slow you down. See you outside.”

The Courier gazed down at the ground, a sad look on her face. “So... it’s true... he’s a coward...” she whispered to herself.

The Deputy walked over to the maintenance door and opened it, only to come face-to-face with a Powder Ganger... wielding an incinerator!

“You! Who let you out? And why are all of my men dead?”

“Uhhh...” Beagle froze in fear. The leader of the Powder Ganger group aimed his incinerator at him.

“Deputy! No! Watch out!”

Throwing off her backpack, she charged for him, surprised at her own speed, yet only partly conscious of what she was doing. She tackled him out of the way just as the flames began to spew from the weapon’s nozzle. The next thing she felt was scorching heat... then her world went black.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-29_00004.jpg

Rescuing Deputy Beagle.

- - - - - - - - - -

She woke up to find something warm shoved into her mouth. Startled, she sat up to see Johnson Nash and a woman his age standing over her.

“Chew and swallow before ya talk, sweetie.” the woman suggested.

She did so. Whatever it was... was sharp. Very sharp. And a bit smokey in taste. Ooo... now her mouth felt numb, almost like an after-taste. “Wh-Who are you?”

“I’m Ruby Nash. Pleased to make your acquaintance. My husband and I are Primm long-timers. He fancies himself a trader, and I know my way around a kitchen.” The woman explained, gesturing to her husband.

“Kitchen? You mean... like cooking? Wh-What was that you just fed me?”

“Well, my specialty is a radscorpion venom casserole. It’s more appetizing than it sounds. The venom has a sharp, smokey flavor, and it numbs your mouth so fierce you’ll forget you ever had a tongue! It’s perfectly safe, long as you don’t have sores in your mouth for the venom to find your blood. ‘Cause that’ll kill ya dead.”

Her eyes went wide, but it only made the old woman laugh. “Eat some more, sweetie! Ya need your strength!”

“Wait! Where am I? Where’s Edy? What happened to Deputy Beagle?” Pause. Checking... Yep. Drafty. “And where are my clothes?!” She pulled the sheet over her nude body, blushing furiously.

Ruby and her husband looked at each other, startled. “You don’t remember, sweetie?” Mrs. Nash asked. The girl shook her head, shivering from embarrassment.

“From what we heard from the Deputy, you took a blast from an incinerator to save him.” Mr. Nash explained. “Your robot killed the leader of the Convicts, but it was Deputy Beagle who carried ya outside in his arms. The moment he stepped outside the Bison Steven Hotel, he was confronted by the three Powder Gangers who’d been patrollin’ around the roller coaster. They’d come to check out the commotion from the buildin’. Your robot came into the Vikki and Vance and led us outside, where we watched the Deputy as he took down each of the Powder Gangers with one hand, cradlin’ you in his other arm.”

“I’ve known Beagle a long time, and I can honestly say he’s always been one to run from danger.” Ruby added. “But I’d never seen him face such overwhelming odds so fiercely. We haven’t got much out of him aside from how you saved his life. He’s been kinda shellshocked about it.”

The Courier looked down at her lap, a distant look in her eye. “So... the Deputy carried me out of there? And he fought off the remaining Powder Gangers to get me to safety?” The elderly couple nodded. “S-So why am I na-... wh-where are my clothes?”

“They were horribly burned. Enid’s been patchin’ it back together over the last three days.” Mr. Nash explained. “It would’ve been worse, but the deputy got you to us in a hurry. Used his own stimpaks on you, too.

She felt a blush come to her cheeks. Had a coward... really done all that just to save her? “Um... c-can I see the Deputy? P-Please?”

“Not yet, sweetie.” Mrs. Nash scolded. “You’ve been unconscious for three whole days. We need to get some food in ya and give ya a good scrub.”

Well... the last time she had home cooking was with Sunny back in Goodsprings... so swallowing hard, she nodded, letting Ruby Nash drop a plate of the venomous dish in her lap along with a fork.

Ruby’s husband tapped her on the shoulder. “You got that old robot up and runnin’ again?” he asked in surprise. “How is it workin’ out for you?”

She swallowed her bite and looked up at Mr. Nash. “Um... yeah. Her name’s Edy.” The Courier explained, slightly blushing. He was surprised. That was a compliment, right?

“Edy huh? His names not Eddie?”

“No, her name is Edy. It just... um... feels that way... t-to me...”

“Hmm... Well, if you say so. She’s yours now anyway.”

She ate another bite of the casserole. “Um... may I ask where Edy came from?”

“Like I said earlier, some courier dropped the bag a’ bolts off at my store. Dunno where he got it.”

“Oh... um... Any idea what I should do with her? Aside from let her travel with me?”

“Not a bit. I imagine there might be some people around curious about that kinda technology. She’s been guardin’ the door to this room ever since.”

“Oh... um... where am I right now, by the way?”

“Well, you, Edy, and Deputy Beagle ended up cleanin’ out the whole Bison Steve Hotel. So you’re there right now. We’ve been cleanin’ it up over the past three days.”

“R-Really? What about reinforcements arriving?”

Mr. Nash chuckled. “None of the Gangsters escaped your wrath, youngster. The only trouble we can expect is a new group of them arrivin’ to push us around.”

He winked, making the Courier giggle.

- - - - - - - - - -

There was a knock on the door. Ruby Nash set the sponge back in the bucket of soap and water to go open it a crack. The Courier looked on expectantly.

“Um... My apologies, Mrs. Nash, but... I was wonderin’ if I could see the good lady a moment.”

That was the Deputy’s voice. She felt her heart skip a beat. “I’m sorry, but I’m bathing her right now. Come back lat-“

“I-It’s okay, Mrs. Nash! P-Please, send him in.” the Courier called to the woman. She turned to send the Courier an ‘are you sure?’ look, but she just smiled and nodded, a small pink blush coming to her cheeks. “And um... p-please, I’d like to talk to him alone for a while, Mrs. Nash.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Well... perhaps being held hostage wasn’t the low point of his law enforcement career, after all. Getting an innocent girl hurt was probably even lower. A girl with amnesia who only wanted to save a town gone to hell. Who, he should add, got hurt saving him from a situation that only sprung up because of his cowardice.

Those were his thoughts for the last three days. He just sat in the dining hall of the Bison Steve, trying to figure out what to do with himself. Primm needed a new sheriff. After seeing him fight earlier, the folks in town had been suggesting him as the new sheriff. But he knew he couldn’t step up to that... not after what happened because of him. Not after... everything... that happened.

But more importantly, he had to talk to that Courier some time. She seemed to be a girl who could get things done, so maybe she’d know what to do about a new sheriff. But more importantly... he had to thank her for saving his life... and apologize for getting her hurt...

Sighing, he downed the last of his beer and made his way to the second floor. He knew the Courier’s room by heart. He’d spent plenty of time standing in front of it, afraid to knock and see the girl. But now, he had the liquid courage to go through with this. He knocked, and Ruby Nash opened the door a crack to gaze out at him.

“Um... My apologies, Mrs. Nash, but... I was wonderin’ if I could see the good lady a moment.”

The elderly woman shook her head, her face stoic. “I’m sorry, but I’m bathing her right now. Come back lat-“

“I-It’s okay, Mrs. Nash! P-Please, send him in.”

That was the Courier’s voice. The fact that she wanted to see him made his hopes skyrocket... but he also felt a deep pit in his stomach... what if she’d be mad at him? The very thought made him sweat.

Ruby Nash turned around to look behind her a few moments. The elderly woman sighed, opened the door and allowed him in. To his surprise, she left and shut the door.

“Um... Hi, Deputy Beagle.”

She sat on the bed, the covers pulled over her nude form. Blushing, he nodded his head. “Ma’am.”

Well, Mrs. Nash wasn’t kidding about bathing her... A bucket of soapy water with a sponge floating in it was sitting next to the bed along with a chair. And the Courier’s arm looked shiny wet.

“P-Please. Um... sit down with me?”

Her request was spoken in the tiniest of voices, but he could tell she had far more confidence about this than him. Despite his nerves, he complied, taking a seat on the chair by the bed.

“Um... I’m glad you came...”

His eyes zeroed in on the side of her breasts... she was holding the bedsheet against her impressive bosom, but she wasn’t doing a very good job. He realized he was staring and looked away, clearing his throat. “My apologies, my good lady. I was thinkin’ and not payin’ attention to where my eyes wandered.”

“I-It’s okay.” The soft words brought his gaze back, but this time to her face. A soft pink blush illuminated her cheeks. “You... You were just admiring my body. The body you saved...”

For a moment his eyes widened and his jaw almost dropped, but he shook his head and brought himself to his senses. “I just wanted to say... Many thanks, my good lady, for savin’ my life. And I must apologize for the way you got hurt because of m-“

A soft, dainty finger on his lips silenced him. “Shh. Don’t worry about it. I only untied you and pushed you away from an incinerator. You carried me out of a building and took on three men to protect me. Let’s just say we’re even... Okay?”

Her voice, far too soft for a harsh world like this, was almost intoxicating. But what happened next absolutely shocked him...

She kissed him. It wasn't a hard kiss or a passionate one, just her touching her lips to his cheek. It was accompanied with the tiniest little pop of her puckered lips, a sound that just drove him crazy from the subtle sweetness of it. When she pulled away, she was looking up at him, blushing and giving just the sweetest little smile he’d ever seen. “Deputy... Mrs. Nash hadn’t finished washing me. Could you please take over for her?”

He didn’t trust his voice. She turned to face away from him and dropped the sheet away from her breasts. Dumbly, he grabbed the sponge and tenderly washed her small, shapely back. He had to admit... this girl was beautiful. From the subtle curve of her hips, to her smooth chocolate skin. It seemed the stimpaks from his emergency stash really helped her heal. She didn’t have a single burn scar on her. With her back completely exposed, he could see the beginning of her rear, complete with an enticing view of the crevice just as it began. Her arms were thin with dainty hands, befitting her petite body. In a stupor, he scrubbed all of these, pausing every so often to dip the sponge back in the bucket of water. As he washed her side, his finger tapped the side of her breast. He could tell that’s what happened. It was far softer than the other parts of her body, and the sharp intake of breath she gave made it evident the flesh was sensitive. He... He couldn’t do this. Beagle turned around to face the opposite way, dropping the sponge back in the bucket.

“D...Deputy?” the good lady questioned. He could’ve sworn he heard disappointment in her voice, but... that couldn’t be.

“Listen. I... This is all my fault. My sister and the sheriff died because I fell asleep on the job. Then I got captured and taken hostage when they found my hidin’ place. I’ve been a coward all my life... I’m not fit to be a deputy. I’m resigning. Maybe we can program Primm Slim to be the new sheri-“

His words stopped in his tracks as two delicate arms wrapped around his shoulders. With the tight gray T-shirt he was wearing, he could feel her breasts pressed up against his back as she pulled him into the warmest embrace he’d likely ever feel. He didn’t turn around. Not only did he not want the hug to end, but he knew a gentleman didn’t look when a young lady was in a state of undress behind him. But... she turned him around for him. She looked up into his eyes and gave him another soft kiss, this time on the lips. Despite his shock, he placed his large, calloused hands over her bare back. When she pulled away, she was smiling, albeit with a heavy, deep red blush from her cheeks to her collarbone.

“Deputy... I believe a man can change. And... you changed the moment you decided my life was worth more than your own. Just keep that state of mind... and you can protect this town from any threat. You can be the protector of these people. Maybe not a sheriff, not yet... but a deputy for now. I know it.”

To his credit, he actually held out a few moments before the tears fell from his eyes. The sobs wracked him, but... they felt good. It felt good to cry for a reason other than fear. The Courier who saved his life pulled him close, holding his head to her bosom as she pat his back. He sobbed into her cleavage, and she just held him close, patting his back and cooing sweet words of encouragement.

As beautiful as this woman was... as much as she opened herself to him, and he opened himself to her... they didn’t have *** that night. He didn’t want ***. He just wanted some comfort from another human being... which she was happy to give, albeit without a stitch of clothing on.

- - - - - - - - - -

She woke up the next morning feeling refreshed, happy... and warm. Warm and fuzzy... When she turned, she saw Deputy Beagle was asleep in a chair against the wall. She smiled and blushed. He had stayed up all night guarding her. A light giggle escaped her lips. When she looked to the foot of the bed, an outfit lay folded there. She crawled out from under the covers and took a look at it. It seemed this Enid had mended her outfit back to just the way it was. She didn’t even notice any patches or new seams. But... she noted with a sigh that it was also unaltered in any way. Which meant... half her breasts would still be on full display.

A shifting near the corner brought her attention to Deputy Beagle. She scooted over to the edge of the bed in front of him, and sat with her legs hanging off the end, swinging idly. With her arms propping her up as she leaned back... she knew she was on full display to him. But... for some reason... she didn’t mind. She doubted she was over her sense of feminine modesty... But it just felt... okay... to be this vulnerable in front of the Deputy. Especially since he looked only at her face, despite the obvious urge to gaze down at her body.

“It’s okay. I... d-don’t mind if you admire... um... my body.” she told him, a deep blush creeping to her face. He only chuckled.

“As much as I would very much like to oblige that offer, I promised you information.”

“I-It’s okay... you don’t have to worry about-“

“No... no. You’ve waited four days, even though I could’ve easily told you before you freed me. The Great Khans, and the man in the checkered suit... I spotted them passin’ through town while I was skulkin’ around.“

“No! But you were-“

“No. I was not performing any recon of any sort. I was not gatherin’ information. I was runnin’ and hidin’. But I still managed to overhear what those Great Khans and your friend in the suit talked about. They mentioned a delivery they were going to take from a courier. Obviously, that was you. They said they’d be headin’ through Nipton to Novac to meet a contact there.”

“Novac?”

“To the East. If you want to get there faster, I’d recommend taking Primm Pass. It takes shorter, but it’s more dangerous. However, I’m sure it isn’t anything you and Edy can’t handle.”

She reached forward to place a delicate hand on his lap. “Thank you...” she breathed, her eye big and watery. He had to suppress the urge to hug her.

“Now, the next order of business... Primm still has no law.”

“But what about-“

“I’m not ready to be sheriff. And I can’t be a deputy without a sheriff. We’ll need one if some ruffians decide to threaten us again.”

“Okay... So... what kind of person do we need?”

“Well... It should be someone brave, like you.” She blushed, a small smile spreading across her face. He smiled back. “But it has to be someone who can settle down here and watch over us. I heard the Powder Gangers talkin’ about a man in the prison named Meyers who has some experience as a sheriff. He may be a good choice.”

“Okay. But how do we get into the NCRCF to talk to him?”

“Obviously, we need to dress up as Powder Gangers and walk right in.”

“Um... I have a Powder Ganger uniform I picked up in Goodsprings, but... we?”

“Yes. I’m goin’ with you. I can’t let a good lady like you go there alone.”

“Deputy... I knew you could change...” Her eye was big and watery again.

“Hold on. There’s a catch. The Powder Gangers are composed exclusively of prisoners from the NCRCF. Like most prisons from before the Great War, the NCRCF is a male-only prison. So there are no female Powder Gangers.”

“So... that means...”

“Not to worry. Ruby Nash can help bind your chest with bandages, while I can provide a hat that will effectively hide your hair without drawin’ suspicion. As long as you keep your head down, no one will see your pretty face and realize you’re a good lady. If you must speak, try to deepen your voice. If they question it, I’ll defend you. Act casual, let me do the talkin’, and we should be able to get Meyers out of there.”

She was quiet for a long time. At first, he thought she was going to say no, but...

“I have one request... i-if you don’t mind.”

“Of course, my good lady. Anything.”

“I don’t want Mrs. Nash to help me bind my breasts...”

“Hmm... then I suppose we could have Enid alter a Powder Ganger uniform to look baggier, maybe by-“

“I want you to do it for me.”

Beagle gave a start, turning to stare at her blushing and smiling face with wide-eyed shock on his face. “Good lord... You may be the death of me... my naked goddess.”

The Courier blushed from cheeks to collarbone, covering her mouth with her hands and giving a giggle so light and uplifting that even Deputy Beagle laughed.

- - - - - - - - - -

So here they were. Just the two of them. She had left Edy back in town. Didn’t want her to look out of place among the Powder Gangers.

For what it was worth, the Deputy and Mrs. Nash had tried their best to get her looking as boy-like as possible. She wore the NCRCF prisoner uniform of black pants, brown boots, white shirt, and blue jacket, but she was also wearing the bulletproof vest. Despite binding her chest so tight she couldn’t breathe, her breasts were, embarrassingly so, simply too large to bind to totally flat. But the vest certainly helped hide the bulge of her bosom. She owed Joe Cobb for the vest. The entire outfit really, since it had been his. She saved it after the events of Goodsprings, keeping it in Bess’s pack. It had been thoroughly washed, but the main reason for her discomfort was the pants. She hated wearing them... She needed a skirt or dress, or nothing else. She had injected herself with some Med-X prescribed as follow-up medication by Doctor Mitchell to dull the pain in her head just from wearing the pants. The advanced morphine was certainly making wearing the pants bearable...

The Deputy was wearing the same outfit she was, except minus the bulletproof vest. Just in case anyone recognized him, on the off chance they had been to Primm and came back to the NCRCF, he was wearing a hockey mask. It seemed to be fairly common for Powder Gangers to wear them, so hopefully he wouldn’t look too out of place. To hide her long, flowing, snow white locks, the Deputy had given her a brimmed leather hat with a hood-like attachment, effectively hiding her entire head from view save for her face. Luckily she could wear it with her eye bandages and glasses, but it was a bit hot. The Deputy said it was worn by storm chasers in the Old World. She didn’t see why anyone would want to chase storms...

“Okay, my good lady. Try to let me do the talking. If you must talk, please speak in a lower register.”

“Um... Deputy, sir... I hate to say it, but your style of speaking... it’s... very polite. And... eloquent.” she blushed at the thought. “You should try speaking in a rougher tone.”

“Hm... I suppose I shall have to give it a try. Allow me to practice on the Ganger at the gate.”

The gate slid open, and the pair walked in. The door ahead led to the visitor’s area. The Powder Ganger standing at the door looked them up and down. The Courier tried to keep her head down so he wouldn’t notice her feminine face.

“Okay, I know I wasn’t servin’ no time with no girl, or I’d a heard about it. You come to play with the Powder Gangers?”

No! This guy already knew she was a girl! She had to fight back the urge to cry. They were dead! She knew it!

“It’s okay.” Beagle urged. She looked up to see him talking to the Powder Ganger, not her. “She’s just my *censored*. Brought her here for some fun, if ya catch my drift.”

She blushed. Was this their cover? Her as his... girlfriend?

“I dunno. I don’t recognize your voice, bud.” The man at the entrance narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

“Oh. I’ve been off at the camp to the North, raiding caravans on the I-15. Just got back after pickin’ this *censored* up stowed away in a wagon. Figured I’d let the boys have some fun with her.”

“Hmmm... So why is she dressed like one of us?”

She swallowed hard. But Beagle just laughed. “Oh, c’mon. What’s hotter than a hot *censored* dressed like one of us? Besides, didn’t want her to get shot on sight.”

“Hm... Good point. But I’m not sure about lettin’ you in with her. Depends on if you can make it worth my time. A hundred caps sounds about right.”

Uh oh. Niether of them brought anything with them... No, no, no!

“Hold on... Maybe caps won’t suffice.”

“What’d ya have in mind?” Beagle asked.

“You were hopin’ the boys’d have some fun with her, right? So here’s the toll for her to get in. All her clothes. Off. Now. All of them. She goes in naked, she comes out naked. How’s that sound?”

The Courier felt her whole body freeze, heart and mind included. Did... did he... did he really s-say that? H-He couldn’t be serious, right? No, no, no, no, no! This can’t be happening! She was about to burst into tears when a hand was placed on her shoulder. She looked up through a teary eye at Deputy Beagle. He was... smiling at her. She could tell by his eyes, even with the mask.

“Sounds good to me. But that’s the deal, right now. No changin’ it.”

“Fine, fine. Whatever.”

To her surprise, he picked her up in his arms, carrying her outside and behind a boulder. “Hey! What gives? I don’t get to see her strip?”

“That wasn’t part of the deal, bro.” The Powder Ganger just grumbled obscenities in response.

He set her down behind the rock and leaned in to whisper in her ear. “Don’t worry. I won’t let you go through this on your own. Take a deep breath... and trust me. My naked goddess.”

Just those three words... reminded her of last night. Alone with him, completely naked... and for the first time in her life, comfortable with her body. She took a deep breath and relaxed into Deputy Beagle’s arms. First he pulled the hat off her, followed by the vest. He carefully slipped the jacket off her shoulders, bending low to slip her boots off. The way he unbuttoned the shirt... it was painstakingly slow, but... she felt a warmth in her loins building. He slipped the shirt off of her, then unwrapped her bindings. Her breasts happily bounced free of their prison, the warm Mojave desert breeze feeling... oddly good. Finally, he lowered her pants, and to her surprise, she actually lifted her legs one at a time for him. He walked off, and she felt... suddenly very cold. And scared. Alone...

“What?”

“I assume ya wanted to keep ‘em, right bro?”

“Oh, yeah, sure. I’ll hang onto ‘em.”

Then he was back, slipping a jacket over her. He lifted her up in his arms, nimbly maneuvering her petite form onto his back. When the haze lifted from her mind, they were standing in front of the man at the door again.

“s***. What gives, man? Ya can’t do that.”

“Ya said she goes in and out without her own clothes. That’s my jacket she’s wearin’, not her own. It also wasn’t part a the deal for ya to get to see her.”

“Dammit... me and my mouth. Whatever. I guess you earned your way in with that clever trick a yours.”

She found herself sailing past the grumbling guard as he walked in with her on his back. In this position... the jacket was more than covering her from the back... while her front was firmly hidden against the Deputy’s back. Blushing, she giggled and whispered a “Thank you, my knight.” into his ear. She didn’t see it, but she knew he was smiling.

- - - - - - - - - -

The moment they stepped in, all eyes were upon them. The Courier just kept telling herself that they didn’t know she was totally nude. Deputy Beagle turned to the Powder Ganger standing by the entrance. “Hey. Lookin’ for Meyers.” The Powder Ganger gestured to a man sitting at a table in the room with a black cowboy hat. He walked up to him, setting the Courier on the ground.

“Hm? Didn’t know anyone would willingly walk into this place. Not unless they were lookin’ for trouble. What’s your story? And where’s that girl’s clothes?”

She blushed from cheek to collarbones, pulling the jacket closer around her exposed body.

“I’m afraid it was the only way we could get in here to speak with you.”

“Speak with me? For what?”

“Hold on. A few questions first, Meyers. First... Tell me, were you here the night of the coup?”

The Courier decided to let Deputy Beagle do all the talking. With so many eyes on her, almost completely naked... she was afraid if she tried to speak, she’d only squeak.

“I understand that Cooke was behind it all. I kept my head down the whole time. Didn’t want any part of it. I stuck around, figuring the NCR would show up and put things back the way they were. No sense in makin’ myself look guilty, right?” He sounded a bit distressed just at the mere memory.

“Cooke? Who’s Cooke?”

“Some kind of anti-NCR rebel.” He lowered his voice, like he didn’t want to be overheard. “Some people just don’t like being pushed around or told what to do.”

“Is he still here, leading the gangers?”

“He went north with some of the other guys. Didn’t say where. Didn’t say why. All I know is he’s got some kinda score to settle with the NCR.”

“So he’s not in charge of the Powder Gangers? Then who is?”

“Right now Eddie and his boys run the place. They’ve got the guns and the dynamite, so they call the shots.”

These people... staring at her... wearing so little... She was terrified... and yet...

“What did you do before you ended up incarcerated?”

“I was a sheriff, believe it or not, for a small town far to the west of here. Short version is that sometimes justice is a little slow, and I helped speed it up one too many times. I’m not sorry for anythin’ I did, but I will do the time. Fair enough trade, if you ask me.”

She was terrified, and yet... her loins were ******* ***... was she actually... how could she be... why was her body betraying her?

“So then... If there was a coup, why are you still here?”

“I’m not quite sure the kind of greeting NCR troopers will give an escaped con like myself. Figure it’s better to stay put for now.”

“P-Please! Become Primm’s new sheriff!”

Uh oh... did she just shout that out loud?

“Well, assuming an NCR pardon comes with the job, and it had better, I’ll also need to be able to do things my own way. Due process has its place, but sometimes it’s just a waste a time. I’ll need to know that I’m not going to end up right back in prison.”

“D-Does that mean you’ll take the law into your own hands?” she squeaked. Her knees were shaking... Why was her body reacting like this?

“When I need to, yes.”

“You have a deal.”

She looked up to the Deputy. He looked down at her and smiled, placing a hand over her shoulders.

“All right, then. Guess I’ll just make a quiet exit. No need for a goodbye party or anything.”

Meyers got up and casually strode out the door. Deputy Beagle lowered himself so the Courier could get on his back, which she accepted with a blush. But as they were turning to leave, they saw a man with an eyepatch and Mohawk striding up to them.

“You two. My buddy Eddie wants to see you. Now.”

The Courier swallowed hard. She was already shivering... and as much as she hated to admit it, all this *********** was making the back of Beagle’s NCRCF shirt ***... how embarrassing...

“Sorry, bro, we were just leavin’.” The Deputy explained, turning to leave. The eyepatched man grabbed him roughly by the shoulder to stop him.

“It’s not bro. It’s Scrambler. And I said... Eddie. Wants. To see you.”

“Wh-Why do they call you Scrambler?” Uh oh... why did she have to choose now to find her voice?

“Because I scramble people up so good, they don’t know what part goes where when I’m done. Now move it. You don’t wanna keep Eddie waitin’.”

The Courier swallowed hard once again. Hiking her up to a more supportive position, the Deputy followed after the Powder Ganger. She hoped he couldn’t tell that she was trembling... Which was only partly from fear... She was far too embarrassed to admit the other reason, even to herself...

- - - - - - - - - -

The pair were led out of the visitor’s center and into the yard, where the Powder Ganger known as Scrambler made a direct path for the only two-story building in the yard that wasn’t a watch tower. Inside, he led them through a wall of iron bars, past an infirmary, up some stairs, across a hole in the floor with a board laid over it, and finally into what seemed to be the warden’s office. Deputy Beagle set the Courier down next to him in the middle of the room, between the desk and the door. The painting on the wall, of some unknown man, was childishly scribbled on with immature graffiti. On the desk was a computer and a ham radio, which the man seated there was idly tuning. Scrambler took a position leaning against the wall behind Eddie and to his left, but not before pulling the Courier’s jacket, and only real article of clothing, off her body. Feeling a draft and very exposed, she clamped one arm tightly over her breasts, the other down to cover her nethers. Sadly, a single arm wasn’t enough to cover a bust her size, she noted with embarrassment. Now, the only real things she had on were her Pip-Boy, the bandages over her right eye, and her glasses. Not even any shoes... Everyone else was fully clothed... She’d never felt more exposed before in her life... and yet... it was oddly... ********?

“You brought us here, Eddie. What do you require?” Deputy Beagle asked harshly. He pulled the hockey mask off his face to properly scowl at the Powder Ganger.

“Dawes said he let somebody in. So you goin’ to give me a reason not to kill you and throw your body back outside?”

“We just came to speak with Meyers, Eddie. Just let us leave and you won’t see us ever again.” Beagle placed a hand on her shoulder. The Courier couldn’t help but feel a bit more at ease at his touch... even if it were just a little.

“Fine. But first... who are you? What’re your names?”

“I’m Beagle. Deputy Beagle. She’s just a Courier.”

The Powder Ganger suppressed a laugh. “That wussy deputy from Primm? You sure seem confident for someone I’d heard so many stories about.”

“I’ve just found something to be brave for.”

“Oh? And what’s that?”

“The people I’ve sworn to protect. All it took was a kind, selfless soul to show me the error of my ways.”

She looked up at the Deputy and managed a small smile, despite her trembling. He smiled back.

“Hm. Cute. Okay, I’ll have Scrambler escort you out. But I want you to do a simple favor for me.”

“And what would that be?”

“Well, you’re takin’ a walk down to Primm, so I figure I can hit you up instead of kill you. The NCR hasn’t raised hell over our breakout, and I want to find out why. They’re up to somethin’, I can feel it.”

“Fine. What do you want us to look for in Primm?”

“I know the NCR has troops near Primm, so talk to the locals and find out if any of those troops are going to be comin’ our way.”

“Fine. Now may we go? My Courier friend is cold.”

Eddie looked her up and down. The smirk on his face and the raised eyebrow told her... he could tell.

“s***. She’s not cold. She’s f***in’ ***** as all hell.” The Courier whimpered. The Deputy seemed at a loss for words. “I’d read stories about this in Cat’s Paw. Women getting’ *** on *************.”

“Cat’s Paw? *************?” She felt grateful the Deputy had the words to say what she couldn’t.

“The first... is a gentleman’s magazine, filled with pictures and stories to satisfy a man when he’s lonely. The second... is when you get *** on being seen ***** by people who are fully *******.”

“No. She isn’t like that.” Beagle demanded. She looked up at him, her eye big and watery. ‘Thank you’ she said with that brown orb.

“Oh, really? Then explain what that stuff is ******’ **** her ***. Or that ****** ***** comin’ off her. Maybe you should just ***** your ******-“

Beagle jumped forward and slammed his hands on the desk, sending a few pencils rolling to the floor. “Goddammit, Eddie! Stop now and allow us to depart, or we will tell the NCR that you’re vulnerable for a full assault!”

The Powder Ganger scoffed. “Pfft. Fine. Scrambler, escort them out.”

To her horror, she was not given Beagle’s jacket back. He had to piggyback her all the way across the compound with her bare back and rear exposed to every Powder Ganger they passed. The hoots, hollers, and cat calls made her face so red she swore steam was coming out of her ears...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-09-03_00001.jpg

How humiliating...

- - - - - - - - - -

They stepped out of the visitor’s center, the Courier a nervous wreck. Deputy Beagle glanced around a bit before glaring at the guard. “Where are my friend’s clothes?”

The guard was picking his teeth with a toothpick, clearly acting like he didn’t notice them. “After foolin’ me like that? You’re not getting those back. She can streak all the way back to town for all I care.”

The Deputy loosed one arm, leaving her with only half support. But it was worth it when he slugged the Powder Ganger right in the face. He returned his arm to her and hiked her up on his back, turning and leaving the convict in a crumpled mess on the ground. The Courier giggled a bit and whispered another ‘thank you, my knight’ into his ear. His response was to shift her a bit so her breasts rubbed against the fabric of his shirt. She nearly purred.

- - - - - - - - - -

For the first time, the Courier was thankful the streets of Primm were empty. No one was there to stare at her naked backside as the Deputy carried her through town. It was when they entered the Bison Steve Hotel that she buried her face into the back of his neck, blushing a deep crimson as everyone turned to stare. Thankfully, Beagle was quick about getting her up to her room. He went to set her on the bed, but she clung tightly to him.

“My good lady? Are you alright?” he questioned with concern.

She was panting heavily. Why wouldn’t she? All those people... staring at her... n-naked... It was... embarrassing, but... so, so very invigorating! She’d... really never felt so alive before...

“D-D-Deputy...” she panted. “I... I need you right now.”

He turned her around in his arms so she clung to his chest. “You need me? What for? Are you hurt?”

“N-No... I... I need...” She didn’t trust her words at the moment. So she took action. She kissed him. Not the sweet little kisses from before. She attacked his mouth, slipping her tongue in to explore and wrestle with his own. He was wide-eyed with shock, but once he came to his senses, he carefully lowered her onto the bed. She pulled away to catch her breath. “P-Please, Deputy. I... I need this right now... I need all of you. C-Can you help me? P-Please?”

The Deputy blushed and smiled. “My good lady... I am more than happy to-“

He didn’t finish. She shoved his face into her breasts, so he took his cue and began to ******* her sensitive bosom with ****** and *****. Loud moans escaped her. She did nothing to hold them in. Her mind was clouded, being driven only by the heat in her loins. She spread her legs, bearing herself for the Deputy. He looked unsure, but she merely nodded, silently mouthing the word ‘please’. He didn’t hesitate. He attempted to go slow so he wouldn’t hurt her, but she urged him on. She needed it. She needed it fast, hard, and rough. On that night, she was surprised to find out... she wasn’t a virgin. What kind of life had she led before her memories left her?

- - - - - - - - - -

First thing in the morning, the Courier and Deputy Beagle made their way to the NCR camp across the overpass bridge. Inside Lieutenant Hayes’s tent, it seemed he was gone. But some papers on the table in the middle of the tent caught the Courier’s eye. She had the Deputy stand watch while she looked the document over.

- - - - - - - - - -

Lieutenant Hayes,

You and your men are ordered to secure the area around Primm in preparation for the assault on the prison. Recon indicates that the Powder Gangers are lax in their defenses and should quickly fall to a surprise assault. In the unlikely event that the attack fails, you are to hold position near Primm and await further instructions.

Major Gerard

- - - - - - - - - -

“You. What are you doing in here?”

She looked up to see the Lieutenant walk in. Beagle was right behind him, his face apologetic. She was nervous, but she attempted to stand tall with confidence. “You’re planning to attack the prison, aren’t you?”

“Military operations are classified information.” was Hayes’s official response.

“C-Classified or not... I...” she swallowed hard. “I want to help in the attack!”

Both the Deputy and the Lieutenant looked surprised. Hayes regained his composure first. “Some Powder Gangers did you wrong, is that it? Get in line.”

“I... I can handle myself in a fight! Please!”

“It’s true, Hayes. She happens to be the best unarmed fighter I’ve ever seen.”

The Lieutenant brought his hand to his chin in thought, looking the Courier up and down. “Hmm... Well, if you say you’re capable enough. And manpower hasn’t been easy to come by... All right. Fine by me if you want to put yourself in harm’s way. Hand me your wrist. I’ll mark the staging area on your Pip-Boy’s map. Speak to Sergeant Lee there tonight. I’ll radio ahead to let him know you’re coming.”

She did so. The Lieutenant pressed a few buttons, and there was a marker on her map near the southern side of the prison’s outer wall, up on the hill. “One more thing to discuss, Lieutenant, sir.” Hayes raised an eyebrow. “Primm needs a new sheriff. Meyers at the NCRCF is willing and capable for the job, but he won’t do it without a pardon from the NCR. Can you do it?”

The Lieutenant sighed. “Really? An official pardon? Even after the coup? Why would you want a Powder Ganger in any official capacity?”

“H-His sentence was almost up, Lieutenant, sir. And he doesn’t have any affiliation with the Powder Gangers.”

Hayes sighed. “Fine, fine. I guess that’s okay. Besides, having someone in Primm who owes the NCR a favor would be useful. But I don’t have the authority to issue one. I’ll have to radio to Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost for permission.”

The Courier nodded. “Thank you, Lieutenant, sir.” She turned to Deputy Beagle. “Deputy, stay here with Edy in case anyone comes to attack while I’m assaulting the prison, please.”

“But won’t you need Edy for the prison assault tonight, my good lady?”

“No. I can handle it on my own, with the other soldiers. You need her more than I do right now.”

Beagle smiled. “As you wish, my good lady.” She smiled back.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Courier arrived at the southern side of the NCRCF to find a man in an NCR soldier uniform with a bandoleer, staked out near the top of the bordering hill. He turned to look at her as she ran up.

“I’m Sergeant Lee. Lieutenant Hayes radioed ahead to say you were on the way.”

“Um... I’m the Courier, Sergeant, sir.” she greeted, a little out of breath.

“Noted. Are you sure you can fight, though? I don’t see a gun anywhere on you. Unless... you’re hiding it.”

She shifted uncomfortably when his gaze zeroed in on her deep cleavage. “Uh... R-Rest assured, I can fight, Sergeant, sir. Now... wh-what’s the situation inside?”

The Sergeant brought his eyes back to her own with seamless transition. “We’ve got surprise on our side, and that’s about it. Once we blow a gap in the fence, we’ve got to pour on the fire and keep them disorganized. Our goal is to take out their leader, some assbag named Eddie. With the ringleader gone, the rest will fold. That’s all the briefing you’re going to get. Let’s go.”

An explosion sounded in the distance, just as Sergeant Lee was pulling his varmint rifle off his back and turning to charge in. The Courier ran to the top of the hill to see three plumes of smoke at three different areas of the compound walls, one just down the hill in front of them. Without another moment’s notice, she charged in, quickly overtaking the Sergeant’s position, and dove through the hole in the fence into the NCRCF. She rolled hitting the ground, springing up and kicking a Powder Ganger in the back, snapping his spine. She stomped his head to end his misery. It seemed six other NCR soldiers were marching into the compound, shooting every Powder Ganger inside with assault rifles and service rifles. Three each from the other two breaches in the wall. She couldn’t handle Scrambler and Eddie alone. Her and these soldiers would have to clean up the yard first.

Charging forward through a storm of bullets, the Courier planted her feet in front of the group of soldiers, pointing to one of the watchtowers. “Take out the ones in the watchtowers from here! I’ll make sure none in the yard can reach you!” she ordered.

The soldiers didn’t waste time asking why a tiny, busty civilian was barking orders to them. When they heard a good idea, they followed it. The six took aim, just as two Powder Gangers were approaching with chef knives. The Courier charged one, a flying kick straight to his chest shattering his ribs. She should’ve made sure he was dead, but incapacitated was good enough. She had to move to the second one, fast. It seemed his attention was on the soldiers, so she silently ran in behind him and landed three straight punches to his spine. He crumpled to the ground, but her celebration was short lived. The two cell block barracks opened, a combined five Powder Gangers pouring out of them. Apparently, these ones had time to grab their guns, wielding varmint rifles, 9mm pistols, and .357 magnum revolvers. She had to get their attention before they started firing on the soldiers. Dashing in, she nailed one right in the face with a kick, knocking him to the ground. She was about to set on one of the other ones, but a bullet pierced his forehead before she could connect her first punch. Turning, she saw the soldiers had eliminated the ones in the watchtower, and could now turn their attention to the ones in the yard. Good. This gave her time to repay a debt...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-29_00008.jpg

Assaulting the prison.

- - - - - - - - - -

Damn, there was a lot of noise comin’ in from the yard. Were the boys havin’ target practice? And what was up with those explosions? He wanted to go join in the fun, but guarding the front door was an important job. At least, that’s what Eddie told him.

“Excuse me.”

He turned around to see some girl in a dress standing there. “What the hell are you doin’ here?”

“You don’t remember me?” she asked, surprised.

“Oh, wait... Hey, yeah! That girl dressed in one of our uniforms yesterday. Here to party with us again? Heh?” Wait... but she came from inside... didn’t she?

“You...” her fists clenched, trembling as she seemed to be fighting back tears. “You made me strip naked!” she cried.

“Oh, that, huh? Why? Did it get you off, girly?”

For a moment... he could’ve sworn... She only had one eye, and he was sure it was brown, but... as the lights from the compound hit her, it almost looked... red?

He didn’t have time to wonder about it long. With a scream, her leg sprung up and nailed him right in the crotch. The pain to his nuts was short-lived, as it was soon replaced by his pelvis shattering into pieces. He crumpled to the ground, nearly crying from the pain. As his vision blurred and he looked up at her staring down at him with the fiercest of expressions, he was sure of it... In the light, that damn eye looked red... and looking straight into it made every single one of his hairs stand on end before he passed out from the pain.

- - - - - - - - - -

Eddie wasn’t stupid. He heard the explosion, and it came from three different sides. He sent one of his numerous bodyguards to investigate. He didn’t return. But the thin, crumbling walls did little to hide the sound of gunfire. s***... this was it. The NCR was attacking.

“The NCR’s here, boys! Scrambler, get ready to jump whoever walks through that door! The rest of you, take your positions all along the first and second floors! We’ll jump the bastards the second they walk in!”

His men followed his instructions wordlessly. More gunfire sounded outside, but it soon died down. No one entered the administration building yet. The waiting between the silence and the entry was excruciating, but he was a patient man. Eventually, he heard the door burst open, followed by the sound of gunfire. This was it! “This is it, boys! Get ready!” he barked.

Gunfire soon sounded off just outside his office, on the second floor. Which was weird, since there was still gunfire on the first floor. How’d they get past his boys? He heard each of his boys shot out in pain one by one until something sent the guard just outside the door crumpling against the wall, shaded by the shadow of the broken light overheard. The figure stepped inside the office without a moment’s notice. s***! It was that exhibitionist girly from earlier! Luckily, Scrambler knew when to strike. He pounced, grabbing the girl’s arms. She struggled, but her tiny arms were no match for his most trusted bodyguard’s strength. Confident that the girl had been subdued, he walked up with his hands folded behind his back.

“So, the little exhibitionism brought the NCR, huh?” he teased. The look of fear on her face was priceless. He’d enjoy this. “Well, my guess is that we’ve already lost. Your soldiers just need to finish up my boys on the first floor. But until then... you won’t be gettin’ any backup, will you?” The fear on her face turned to terror. Oh, this was too rich. “I’ll be dead either way, but I can at least have some fun with you and kill you before the NCR shows up.”

Without any warning, he reached forward and pulled her shirt wide open. Eddie licked his lips as her massive tits bounced free of their confines. “Damn, these things are huge! Can’t let ‘em go to waste, now can I? Right Scrambler?” The eyepatched man holding the girl chuckled, but abruptly stopped. “Hey, what’s wrong, bro?”

He was interrupted by a firm kick to his jaw. As he stumbled back, the girl slipped out of Scrambler’s grasp, the large man falling to the ground with his hands over his crotch. Looking at the girl, he could’ve sworn... in the light, her eye looked red instead of brown... but the look on her face. She was smirking at him... but in a sexy way! And s***, her tits were still hangin’ out of her shirt!

“You like these, Mr. Eddie, sir?” she asked, her voice low and husky, grasping them for emphasis. His hand fell from his sore jaw, which dropped along with it. “If you’d like, you can have them. Really.”

She was on him now, pushing him onto the desk and climbing atop him to straddle his waist. His manhood was already swelling against the cup of his armored vest. “Just relax... and let it all hang out, Mr. Eddie, sir.” she purred into his ear. He swallowed hard as she leaned forward to hover her rack over his face. Without warning, his face was buried in it. His member stood at attention, blood rushing to his head as the soft flesh enveloped him. It was... heavenly... At least... until he started having trouble breathing. His cries of discomfort were only muffled by the soft flesh smothering his face. He reached for her to try and pry her off of him, but her legs and arms were gripped firmly to him like a bear trap. His head felt light, his arms and legs started to tingle... But he had to admit, he passed out experiencing the greatest pleasure he had ever felt, submerged in a divine marshmallow hell...

- - - - - - - - - -

Sergeant Lee charged upstairs with his soldiers, his varmint rifle at the ready. Looked like the civilian had taken out the guards on the second floor, who were crumpled on the floor and groaning in pain. He gestured for his men to finish them off, making his way to the office, where he knew Eddie was. Inside, he found Scrambler curled up on the floor, his hands clutching his crotch. The Sergeant finished him off himself with a shot through the head. But looking, he found Eddie passed out on the desk, with the civilian lying on her back on the floor, her breasts totally exposed. What the hell had happened here? He checked the civilian, and she was still conscious.

“Kid? You okay?”

The girl let out a sob, which worried him for a moment. “I have... such a... h-headache...” she groaned. He just smiled and shook his head. Whoever this girl was, she managed to do most of the work for them. Even left Eddie alive for interrogation. Now they could see if he knew where Cooke was. He’d have to give this Courier girl plenty of praise in his report. Every member of the NCR in this region would know what she did for them, he’d make sure of it.

- - - - - - - - - -

She awoke with a start. She looked under the covers to find that she was completely naked... again. Blushing, she scanned her eye across the dark room to see Edt floating nearby and... awww! Deputy Beagle was asleep in the chair near her bed. Getting up from the covers, she tiptoed over to where he sat and climbed into his lap, curling up right in his arms and resting her head against his chest. She fell asleep smiling contentedly.

- - - - - - - - - -

That morning, the Courier awoke to find the entire town of Primm abuzz with life. Preparations were being made to re-open the Vikki and Vance Casino, fix the town back up after the Powder Ganger’s reign, and finishing restoring the Bison Steve Hotel. Luckily, it seemed Old Laurie had returned upon hearing word of Primm’s rebirth, and agreed to take over the running of the hotel once again. After a short breakfast, the Courier took to walking the streets, watching as the citizens of Primm ran to and fro. But it was one particular citizen who caught her attention. What was his name? Gilbert? She was pretty sure. He was jumping up and down in front of the Vikki and Vance Casino, trying to get her attention.

“Um... Hi. Uh... Gilbert, right?”

“Indeed. But we’ve got some problems.”

“What is it? M-Maybe I can help...”

“That’s what I was hoping. You see, just when we were in the process of fixing the casino back up, some NCR military deserters walked in and forced all the workers out with threats of violence. We don’t want dead soldiers on this town’s conscience, even if they are deserters. You seem to be a mistress of negotiation, so we were hoping you could talk them into leaving peacefully, madame.”

“Um... I’ll try to see what I can do. Um... You didn’t have that accent earlier, did you?”

“Oh, crap. Didn’t think ya’d notice. Just thought it’d fit my new job as the casino’s doorman, ya know?”

“Um... yeah. Just be yourself, okay? I’ll go have a talk with these soldiers.”

“Thanks. We owe ya again, don’t we?”

“Not really.” She giggled. “Consider this a freebie.”

“How very nice of you, madame!” he bowed theatrically.

Sighing and rolling her eyes, the Courier stepped into the building and was soon greeted by a woman in a tank top and a green beret, surrounded by three men in leather vests and jackets. “What are you doing here? This casino is ours, punk.”

“Um... A-Are you the deserters?”

“I like to think that we’re Prisoners Of War that managed to escape before capture. I don’t know how long it’ll be before the Legion crosses the river, but sure as f*** I don’t want to be wearing an NCR uniform when they get here.”

The woman seemed hostile, at least verbally. She already felt her knees shaking. “Um... y-you can’t hide out in this casino a-and threaten people. P-Primm has law again, y-you know.”

“f***, we lose again. We heard Primm was ripe for the picking, so figured we could come here and shakedown some of the suckers. We weren’t expecting a sheriff here. We’re just trying to put as many miles between us and the NCR as we can. We don’t want to be anywhere near New Vegas when the Legion cross the river.”

“S-So you’ve resorted to robbing and raiding to get by?” she gasped.

The woman, apparently the ringleader of the four, crossed her arms. “Our luck has gone south since we lost all of our money gambling in Vegas. We didn’t go AWOL from duty to become raiders. But we’ve seen what the Legion does to people that survive their battles. We wanted to be gone before the fighting starts. And we heard there may be some safety up in New Canaan.”

“Um... I-If things are so hopeless, why not just turn yourselves in?”

“No f***ing way. We’re deserters now. The NCR isn’t gonna throw us a ticker-tape parade for going home.”

“I-Is deserting that bad a crime in the NCR?”

“Yeah. If we see the NCR, they’ll be waiting for us with a bullet to the brain pan. So what are we supposed to do? Just run?”

The Courier brought her hand to her chin in thought. “Hmmm... You can’t keep running and hiding forever, can you? So how about hiding in plain sight?”

“What in f*** are you talking about?”

She smiled. “You’re all ex-soldiers, right? Well... This casino we’re in right now, it’s re-opening. But what they don’t have yet is bouncers. I may not look it, but... I have pull. I can arrange for the head of the Vikki and Vance Casino to hire you as bouncers, erase your previous identities, and allow you total safety as new people with new jobs.”

“Really? You’d do that for us?”

She nodded. “Yeah. But... you have to keep your noses clean. If I find out you’re causing any trouble, I’ll report your presence to the NCR myself.”

The woman sighed. “s***... you drive a hard bargain, punk. But it’s better than running for the rest of our lives. You’ve got a deal.”

“Great! Talk to Mr. Hendricks. Just head across the street to the Bison Steve Hotel and ask for him. Just say that the Courier sent you.”

“Huh. I guess we’ll have to start thinkin’ about new names. I’ve always liked Layla. C’mon, boys. Time for a job interview.” She turned and left with the other three deserters, who began idle discussions with their apparent leader.

As they left, the Courier took a moment to look around. She hadn’t had much chance to look at the Vikki and Vance Casino. She walked over to the Protectron wandering around, dressed in a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. She’d heard he’d been serving as the museum curator and tour guide for over two hundred years, so he’d likely be the best bet.

“Um... Hi.”

“Howdy pardner! Welcome to the Vikki and Vance Casino and Museum!” the Protectron greeted.

“Um... you’re the curator, right? O-Of the museum, I mean.”

“Primm Slim at your service. Authentic cowpoke and official spokesbot of the Vikki and Vance Casino and Museum. Yeehaw!”

“Oh? Tell me about the casino. A-And museum, of course.”

“The Vikki and Vance Casino and Museum is Primm’s Primm-eer attraction and resort destination. That’s all there is to it. Yeehaw!”

“Oh? Who were Vikki and Vance, Mr. Slim?”

“Where have you been, pardner? Hiding under a rock?” she looked down sadly, but looked back up when the Protectron continued. “Vikki and Vance were this nation’s fourth or maybe fifth most infamous celebrity outlaw couple ever, that’s who they was! Primm Slim here can tell you the whole story, if you can spare a minute to hear the tale.”

“Please. I’d love to hear the whole story, Mr. Slim.”

“Yahoo! I ain’t had a chance to tell their tale in a mess a years.” She smiled. “First things first. Any bosh you’ve heard about Vikki and Vance being copycats ain’t nothing but ill-tempered slander. Fact is, they begun their crime spree two days before Bonnie and Clyde robbed their first bank. So who was copying who? Now, true. Vikki and Vance didn’t exactly cut a wide swath of murder and bank robbery across the central U.S., like Bonnie and Clyde did. It was more like a narrow swath of shoplifting, check-cashing fraud, and gas pump driveoffs. But crime is crime! They drove reckless, too. Having lived by the gun... well, Vance owned one anyway... it was only fitting that the duo of desperados would die by the gun. Perhaps it was fate itself that accidentally drove them into a crossfire between police and a gang of bank robbers in Plano, Texas. Or maybe they just didn’t notice until it was too late. It’s been said that Vikki would have tried to cash a bad check in that bank, had she lived. We’ll never know for sure. All we know is that the crossfire tore the car and both occupants to pieces, and the police issued an official apology. You can put your eyes on the genuine Death Car just over yonder, and there’s Vance’s submachine gun in the case next to it.”

“Wow, that sounds amazing, Mr. Slim. Do you know anything about the rest of town?”

“Of course! Old Primm Slim loves to spin a yarn. Primm is a thriving resort community located in Clark County, Nevada, right along Interstate Fifteen. Whether you can’t wait ‘til Vegas to try your luck, or want to hit one last jackpot before you leave Nevada, Primm’s your place! The town’s Primm-eer attraction is the world-famous Vikki and Vance Casino and Museum. So you came to the right place, pardner.”

“Really? That’s good, I just came from the Bison Steve Hotel across the street. Is this place really better, Mr. Slim?”

The robot cleared his throat. “The Bison Steve is one of Primm’s less-impressive casino hotels. I’d steer clear of that place, pardner, if I were you. Rumor is, the dealers over there cheat, and that rickety roller-coaster’s liable to fall down any day ‘cause it wasn’t built to code.”

She giggled. “Oh, don’t worry, Mr. Slim. I’m only using the hotel though. I’m not a fan of thrill rides, so... if I plan to gamble or look at the museum, I’ll come here, okay?”

“Yeehaw! Sounds like a plan, pardner. Why don’t you have a look at some of the relics of Vikki and Vance’s crime spree?”

“Sure. Thanks, Mr. Slim.”

“Happy trails, pardner.”

The Courier stepped over to a pair of naked female mannequins with a plaque between them, brushing off some of the dust so she could read it aloud. “Vikki’s Outfits. These replica outfits show just how conscious Vikki was of the styles of the period. Vikki was well known for her sense of fashion, and her fixation on expensive clothing was thought to be one of the reasons the pair chose a life of crime.”

Hm... No clothes on the mannequins. They must not have lasted over the years. She stepped around the corner of the display to a display of two naked male mannequins, blowing some of the dust off the plaque so she could read it. “Vance’s Outfits. These mannequins display replicas of some of the clothing that was found in the trunk of Vikki and Vance’s death car. Vance didn’t share Vikki’s sense of fashion, and chose to dress himself how he envisioned a gangster would dress.”

The center display had a blue car riddled with bullet holes. She figured it must be the Death Car. She turned the corner one more time to an empty display case with a plaque next to it. She leaned in to read it. “Vance’s Personal Submachine Gun. The 9mm submachine gun preserved in the glass case to the left of this plaque is the actual weapon Vance carried in a paper-wrapped box under some suitcases in the trunk of his car during his and Vikki’s crime spree. Never fired, and luckily untouched by the hail of bullets that ended its notorious owner’s life, the weapon’s mint condition inspires dread in all who look upon it. Experts speculate that Vance might have killed as many as fifty people had he ever fired the gun... so long as his aim was exact and he was starting off with a full clip... or even more if he had additional ammo clips and remembered to reload.”

She looked over at the case. She’d noticed earlier that it was empty, but now that she knew it probably wasn’t supposed to be empty... it worried her. “Um... Excuse me, Mr. Slim? Did you know that Vance’s gun is missing?”

The robot turned to face her. “Just mosey on over to the display case and you’ll see it plain as day. Quite a piece, that gun. Mint condition. Never fired.”

“Um... Mr. Slim, the case is empty. Th-The gun is missing.”

“Have you gone loco, pardner? I can see the gun with my own three photo sensors from where I’m standing right now.” The robot starting making an unsual whirring noise... she wasn’t an expert on robots, but could he be trying to read a corrupted file in his data banks? “Quit yammering on about missing guns, pardner. Primm Slim’s a busy man, ain’t got time for that sort of bosh.”

“Um... Mr. Slim, try scanning your data registry. You might’ve been hacked, I think...” The moment she made the suggestion, the robot starting buzzing and beeping, probably reformatting.

“Well, look at that. I happened across this data file locked away in an isolated sub-system.”

“Mind if I download the file, Mr. Slim?” she asked

“Sure. Maybe you can help track down Vance’s missing gun.”

“Um... I’ll keep an eye out for it, Mr. Slim.” With her Pip-Boy, she downloaded the data file, taking a look at it when the download was complete. Hmmm... It looked like a man and a woman, named Sam and Pauline, stole the gun and wiped Primm Slimm’s memory of the event. All she could tell was that Sam intended to lock the gun in his safe until they were ready, and they returned to a place called Westside. Strange... Well, if she ever found a place called Westside, she’d keep an eye out for it.

- - - - - - - - - -

“Thanks for gettin’ me that pardon. From what I’ve heard, Beagle will make a fine deputy, though he says he owes you for that. We’ll take good care of Primm, don’t you worry. I can do right by this town. They were in need of some frontier justice.”

She nodded to the newly-appointed Sheriff Meyers, giving him a gentle handshake. She had to admit, he looked very nice in the sheriff’s duster Sheriff McBain had once worn. He couldn’t keep wearing his prison uniform, after all. She was surprised that the entire town of Primm came to see her, Edy, and Bess off. Johnson Nash and his wife Ruby walked up to her from the crowd. Ruby handed her a Tupperware box.

“Thanks to you, Primm’s on the way back up. With folks watching over us, I think the raiders will keep their distance. I know you need to leave, so here’s one of my casseroles, sweetie. In case you get hungry on the road.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Nash.”

Johnson Nash cleared his throat. “You brought the law back to Primm, youngster. We owe you for that. Meyers’s a bit rougher-hewn than I would’ve liked, but he’s been a very capable sheriff so far. I went searching through the office, but it seems the records were lost, so I don’t know you real name. But the next time you stop by my store, I’ll over you a bit of a discount. The least I can do.”

“Thank you, Mr. Nash. I appreciate you searching for it.” she said, smiling up at him.

Next it was Lieutenant Hayes who stepped forward. “What you did not only was of great benefit to the people of Primm, but to the NCR as well. You’ve opened up a valuable trade route for us, not to mention helping us take back the Correctional Facility. So... It didn’t feel right just taking the money you returned to us. So here. This is for you.”

He handed her a rather large satchel. Inside was what might have been a few thousand bottlecaps!

“But... But Lieutenant, I can’t accept this! This... This is too much!”

“Nonsense. It’s a gift from the NCR. A reward for going above and beyond the usual responsibilities of a civilian. And... there’s extra in there. As a personal thank you from me. You made my job a hell of a lot easier.”

As he fought back a smile, she leaned in and gave him a surprise hug. His stone cold facade slipped, and the crowd gasped as he genuinely smiled.

The Deputy was in the crowds, looking down at the ground glumly. She approached him, the crowd parting to give the two some space.

“So... I guess you’re leavin’, am I right?”

The Courier bit her lip. “Yes. I’m sorry, Deputy. I need to find the man who tried to kill me. And I need to find more traces of who I am.”

Beagle sighed. “I figured. I must admit, it was very nice knowing you, my good lady. Sheriff Meyers informed me he would’ve fired me had the stories about me from before your arrival still been true. So... I owe you for me still being a lawman.”

She placed a tiny finger on his lips. “Shush. You did that all on your own. I just inspired you. You’re the one who made the change in your life.” She told him softly. Stretching herself higher, she kissed him on his lips. He responded by wrapping his arms around her to deepen the kiss, while she lifted her right leg off the ground. The crowd cheered, making the Courier blush, but she continued her kiss with the Deputy. When she pulled away, she was blushing even deeper, but smiling, and so was he.

“I’ll come back to visit you, Deputy. I promise. But before I leave, I think you should know...” she leaned in closer. “Enid liiiiiiiikes you.”

“Wh-What?” the Deputy stammered.

“Look. She’s staring at me right now all jealous. And she blushes and looks away whenever you’re nearby.”

Sure enough, the seamstress had both hands over her heart, blushing and staring at him with a dreamy expression. “But, but I-“

“I’ll come visit again. When I return... I expect you to be courting Enid, Deputy. Be her knight.” She winked. The Deputy chuckled, placing his hand over his heart and bowing.

“As you wish, my good lady.”

Her business in Primm concluded, she set off East for Primm Pass. It would be a road wrought with danger, but faster than going south through Nipton. She was prepared for whatever trouble awaited her. Thankfully, she had her trusty pack brahmin and robot at her side. Even better, unbeknownst to her, she would encounter yet two more members for her growing family in the small canyon and little town ahead of her.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Cyberweasel89/Fallout/2011-08-29_00005.jpg

Newly-appointed sheriff Meyers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Author’s Notes:

1. The exact outfit that the Courier wore to infiltrate the NCRCF was the Powder Gang Guard Armor. Deputy Beagle wore the Powder Gang Plain Outfit.

2. “Cat’s Paw” was a pornographic magazine from Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics.

3. If you’re lucky, you actually can find the parts needed to fix ED-E in the dumpsters around Primm. It’s the easiest way to fix it without already having the parts in advance.

4. I use the “I Fought the Law Workaround” mod that lets you complete I Fought the Law even if you are vilified by the Powder Gangers. Mod by Miles Tails Prower.

5. I use the “Fallout 3 Weapons Restoration” mod by Yukichigai, so generic NCR soldiers are equipped with either a New Vegas Service Rifle or a Fallout 3 Assault Rifle.

6. The player was originally meant to have their own reputation with Primm, but it was cut from the final version of the game. The icon for your reputation with Primm is still in the game files. I use a mod that reincorporates that Primm reputation, but the mod vanished from the Nexus. I don’t know if I can post my copy of the mod, since I didn’t make it and I have no record of who made it. Let me know if I can.

7. Ordinarily, Meyers stays in his prison uniform even after becoming sheriff. I have a mod where he changes to a Sheriff’s Duster, like the one found in the sheriff’s office, next to the dead body of the original sheriff. He still keeps his Desperado Cowboy Hat, though. Mod called “Sheriff Meyers” by Shantih. Be warned, it creates a whole new item identical to the Sheriff’s Duster and equips it to Meyers instead of just giving him a copy of the Sheriff’s Duster already found in the game files.

Can anybody help me with a big problem that ruins the game? Out of no where ALL my characters dont have voices in exception for Willow and the tribes in Honest hearts ( dead horses, etc.) Like they dont even bother moving their mouths! Even vanilla companions dont have voices. Could anyone please help me ? i have already tried to reconfigure my speakers but no success. HELP!!