Gamestop opening every copy of Deus Ex: HR to remove a coupon

Rooker75

Memo from Gamestop corporate orders all outlets to tamper with every copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution by removing a coupon for a free online service provided by the publisher.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/report-gamestop-opening-deus-ex-copies-removing-free-game-code.ars

If you were planning to buy it, I'd buy it somewhere other than Gamestop.

You mean that red coupon in the box, i have one. But it came with the Collectors edition, and i have no idea how to activate it. Even wen't down to there site and can't find the activation link anyware.. Edited by Thor.

I don't like to buy PC games at GameStop for opened box reason. I tried to return one PC game in the past, but they won't allowed it. I would buy my PC games at elsewhere.

You mean that red coupon in the box, i have one. But it came with the Collectors edition, and i have no idea how to activate it. Even wen't down to there site and can't find the activation link anyware..

Might be that the case...

I have yet to have a problem with them, and that has been for years. I actually have a few friends that work for them and they all are nice to chat with. I think somewhere someone messed up what goes in the box so they have to fix it.

And also gamestop doesn't accept used pc games because of the registration part. Sure others might, but it is just been their policy for a few years now.

The consensus (and most likely explanation) is that this is an anti-competitive action. They have their own digital game distribution service.

I'm not 100% sure tampering with a product like that is even legal; there are laws against anti-competitive behavior. Either way, it's a dickish and childish thing to do. If someone reports them to their state's attorney-general, Gamestop could possibly be in some trouble.