Quote of the Day

iansaltman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too true, Google is right.

To stay on our pleasent topic let me simply add this :

"Thsoe who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope"

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Preface.

This is a queue based on how much i play video games.

“ it's never too late until it's two "

Splendid words my friend, absolutely darling.

Now, since I'm in a Wilde mood today allow me to share with you my absolute favorite scene of the play "The Importance of being Earnest"

"Algernon. All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

Jack. Is that clever?

Algernon. It is perfectly phrased! and quite as true as any observation in civilised life should be.

Jack. I am sick to death of cleverness. Everybody is clever nowadays. You can't go anywhere without meeting clever people. The thing has become an absolute public nuisance. I wish to goodness we had a few fools left.

Algernon. We have.

Jack. I should extremely like to meet them. What do they talk about?

Algernon. The fools? Oh! about the clever people, of course.

Jack. What fools!"

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee,

power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,

so we shall flow a river forth to thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

in nonmine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti

-From a favorite of mine, Boondock Saints: Written and Directed by Troy Duffy.

Typed from entire memory.

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are. - H. L. Mencken

Add the one from my signature.

Memento mori: Remember your mortality.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!

The Gurkha Soldier

Bravest of the brave, most generous of the generous, never had country more faithful friends than you.

Professor Sir Ralph Turner MC

"True Knighthood: We serve our King and People, when our king's wishes go against the better of the people we must lead him back through council or bring war to his doorstep"

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat". - Mark Twain