Mod Author - Files Used Feature

Slicer51b

Vote on Idea  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think the feature I propose is a good one?

• Yes, it is a good idea
    • No, it is a terrible idea
    • Maybe, it isn't a good idea, but we should at least look into it

Ever since a certain mod author was banned a while back, I have been thinking a lot about the events that led up to it. So drawing from my thoughts, an idea has occurred to me that may make the moderators life a bit easier (Yes, keep reading LHammonds).

One of the problems that has aroused in the past is "assets used in mod." So what I propose is this. Add to the "Credits/Permissions" tab a fill-in-the-box feature similar to the old "required files" tab. You stick in the web address and/or type in the mod title, and/or the mod author then go through his released mods. This list remains visible to the public, so users can check that to see what assets have been used.

Whenever a file is "taken down," there still remains a record of it being uploaded. Even if the mod author himself took it down, the file can still be entered in the "Assets used in mod" feature. Also, when a mod is taken down by the moderators due to "piracy" or "copyright infringement," an automated message is sent out to all of the mod authors who have entered that mod into the "assets used in mod" feature. The moderator needs only to fill-in-the-blank the automated message (reason why file is taken down), and walla! The mod authors know why file is taken down.

The trick with this, is that the mod uploader can't "delete" any asset he has put onto the list. It instead goes to a second list, the "previously used assets" or "no longer used assets." Each entry also includes the date of when it was switched to that list. The reason behind this, is so that mod uploaders can't just remove any record of the mod being used. The moderators can easily locate and find these mod uploaders who have used pirated assets.

Example scenario to explain the proposed feature.

Scenario

Characters

IvantheHack (villain)

JoeTheActionFigure (hero)

NinjaOrk (bystander)

Dark0ne (local regime's baron)

Storytime

On may 3rd, 2277, IvantheHack uploads a mod on the New Vegas nexus called "Modern Weapon Collection." In this "collection" are 20+ "modern" weapons. Everything from an M4 to an RPG. Mod is an immediate sensation.

On June 22nd, 2277, JoeTheActionFigure uploads his finished faction mod called "G.I. Joe" onto the New Vegas Nexus. In his collection he uses Antistar's "Dragonskin Tactical Armor" mod, Linerunner's "Classic Fallout Weapons - New Vegas" mod, and IvantheHack's "Modern Weapon Collection." He uses the proposed "assets used in mod" feature to display these three files.

On July 5th, 2277, Dark0ne gets contacted by a lawyer working for Electronic Arts. The lawyer says the "Modern Weapon Collection" mod uploaded by IvantheHack is entirely made up pirated weapons from "Battlefield Bad Company 2." Dark0ne then has the file taken down, and IvantheHack banned (after going through the proper procedures for this scenario, whatever they may be).

On July 7th, 2277, JoeTheActionFigure logs onto the New Vegas Nexus. He finds he has a PM. JoeTheActionFigure then checks his inbox, and finds the automated message from the moderators.

"JoeTheActionFigure,

File "Modern Weapon Collection" uploaded "IvantheHack" has been taken down on "July 6th" for piracy."

JoeTheActionFigure then panics! "oh {expletive deleted}, I spent months on my mod! Now I have to basically redo half of the weapons because of this HACKER!

Our fledgling modder then seeks counsel with the moderator force, asking if ALL of the weapons were pirated, or just some (in order to preserve as much as possible of his original mod). He then finds out all of the assets he used from IvantheHack are pirated, so he re-uploads his file with new models replacing the pirated weapons.

Thus, a fledgling modder doesn't get damaged in the legal struggle between the moderators and the pirates.

What do you all think? If there are questions, please leave a comment so I may explain it in further detail. Or make edits to the post to make it more clear.

Lieutenant Slicer51b

Advanced Technology Adaption Division

Terran Starship Command

Stationed: T.S.C.S. Olympus