The five schools of magic

brothersanguine

So, I've seen a lot of complaints all around the net about the deletion of the school of mysticism in Skyrim, and how many think its against the lore of Elder Scrolls, and i would like to put in my two cents. Bethesda says that mysticism seems "repetitive" and it all seems to belong in other classes. So they got rid of the school and dealt all the spells to the other five. Now, I would like to venture that Magic is the "Science" of the Elder Scrolls world. And since, in science, theories are proven and disproven time and time again it only seems natural for the knowledge of magic in elder scrolls to evolve in a similar way. As bethesda thinks it, so does the mage's guild. So, in my mind, it is a part of the lore. Now, whether or not Bethesda chooses to use this tactic in their storytelling, only time will tell. So, that's my two cents. Edited by brothersanguine

I think they will tie this in with how the mages guild split up in the game, lore wise at least. It would make sense that the splitting would have to do with disagreements on the school's, teachings, and usage of magic. If i recall, in oblivion their was a book that offered arguments for, and against the teaching of necromancy to elite students in the mages guild.

I think they will tie this in with how the mages guild split up in the game, lore wise at least. It would make sense that the splitting would have to do with disagreements on the school's, teachings, and usage of magic. If i recall, in oblivion their was a book that offered arguments for, and against the teaching of necromancy to elite students in the mages guild.

Indeed. I forgot that the Mages Guild split (how dare me). The pieces all fit right in.

Edited by brothersanguine

I'm definitely cool with the integration of mysticism into other schools. Whether or not it's there shouldn't matter as much as the spells still being there. We can easily make an excuse for why it happened anyways.

As long as no Mysticism 'Spell Effect' is lost (Beyond Mark/Recall, RIP) I dont mind losing the school AT ALL.

If they start cutting effects though I'll be pretty sad.

Also I'll miss some spell effects Ive become used to that were actually modded in (Supreme Magicka added some very nice Mysticism effects).

Really rooting for Supreme Magicka: Northern edition ;)

I totally support Bethesda's decision in removing and redistributing Mysticism, it really makes sense. And they made the game...they made the lore...who are the fans to tell them what to do?