Should I get Oblivion?

KirbyFan1997

Hello, I might get one of the Elder Scrolls games for PC or XBox 360. I had Morrowind a few years back (before the XBox 360 even came out). The XBox I played it on died so I didn't get to play it for too long.

But here's my question, should I get Morrowind, Oblivion, or just wait for Skyrim to come out? And should I get whichever game for PC or XBox 360?

Oblivion is more likely to run properly on todays PC's and for the moment is probably the most supported by the community with mods and help. Skyrim won't be out till the second week in November, so if you are willing to wait that long, then that is an option as well. I would only run them on the PC though as that way you have the ability to add mods after you have played them through to get further enjoyment out of them. Consoles have not been real friendly about allowing mods from what I have heard.

i don't think that anyone can truly tell you what to do, but i can tell you about my experiences with the game, that may help you make up your mind (i am referring to Oblivion, as i hadn't had the pleasure of trying Morrowind)

as a game, i rather enjoyed Oblivion, but i was never too good at it

because of how the skills work in the game, and because i was always one for sneaky characters, my characters were always really weak at higher levels, so i never really finished an un-modded, un-cheated run of the game

but than again, most of the fun with such a game is the possibilities of modding

now, you are new to this community, so you may not know, but there are still mods in the making for Oblivion, and there have been thousands of mods made through the years, with more than a few amazing ones done

there is even a completely new game built on Oblivion, called Nehrim - At Fate's Edge

now, if you would offer me to buy the game, but without the mods, i would probably say no, because as much as i love the game, it's not that great

however, with all the mods found around here, you can make almost anything of the game (aside from some things the engine just can't have)

following this, since the xBox version can't be modded, i would say go with the PC version, if you decide to get the game

but before you truly decide if you want to play this game, i would suggest you to take a look at the Top 100 page on the TESNexus, look at the best mods on this community, look at the best mods of each category, and see if you like what is here

if you find mods that you feel are truly worth playing with (and i'm sure you will find more than enough of them), and you think it's worth your time and money (with a greater emphasis on time, as i have learned from personal experience), than go for it, get the game and enjoy yourself

if, however, you feel that it still isn't worthy of your time, just stick around for Skyrim, and join the club of those who are waiting for all too long now :tongue:

hope this helps, and i hope you'll enjoy whatever decision you make :thumbsup:

Suggestion:

(1) Buy Morrowind, add some of the great graphical mods that exist for it to make it look good by today's standards, and play it through using the three basic character types (mage/stealthy/hack'n'slash). Check the available mods, pick the ones you fancy trying, and try again.

(2) Next. buy Oblivion, with Shivering isles and Knights of the Nine expansions. Buy the DLCs for it (or, if you use Steam, buy the Deluxe version from the off and you'll have them already). Add SM Plugin Refurbish to delay the DLC starts. Play it through at least once with the basic character types (mage/stealthy/hack'n'slash). Mod it to the hilt once you've done the main quest once, and play again - your playthroughs will tell you what you need to change to make it better in your own opinion.

(2s) Download and install Nehrim, which makes Oblivion into a different game, in a different worldspace. Many of the graphical mods will work on Nehrim too.

(3) By this stage, most of the launch bugs should be out of Skyrim (say, 3-6 months after launch) and it may be available at a discount. Also the first community mods should be out and pretty much bugfree. A good time to buy, play, and enjoy.

Oblivion has full voice acting, now i dont know how much people value this but i do, a lot. Other than that i always liked Oblivion more since the landscapes are more realistic. Morrowind has some interesting quests and ideas, and its not a bad game, but, i would get Oblivion. :thumbsup:

Right. I love the Elder Scrolls games to bits, but I understand money is an issue with game-buying (well, it is for me, anyways). If you can afford it, I would indeed suggest the PC versions of both Morrowind and Oblivion -- I've gotten six years out of Oblivion, with mods. Morrowind is hard to play on the xbox, for me, but it's a beautiful game if you're willing to sit tight and humor it.

That said -- Oblivion is definitely worth it, if you have the spare cash, but you might want to wait for Skyrim anyways. The most recent game is always (well, normally) the most impressive, and therefore the best way to get into or back into the series -- if you think that Oblivion's occasionally repetitive and ugly main plot, or the old engine, etc. might bug you, wait for Skyrim, then get into Oblivion later if you're still interested, when it's cheap. :) The Morrowind community is still somewhat active to this day -- Oblivion will still have some life in it for a few more years.

Oblivion's graphics are still solid, even after six years (moreso with mods, which are plentiful). You can completely avoid the main plot -- which I advise, actually. It's worth one or two runs through, for the amazing voice acting and some particularly astonishing zones, but the main plot is hella blah for the most part. The world is huge, though (especially if you don't fast travel), the sidequests are humorous, and the guild quests are absolutely golden (each is almost as long as the main plot, and far more interesting - and again, there are mods to extend most if not all of them). I will complain that I want moar sidequests, but that's probably because I've played through the game at least 30 times.

Cost/benefit. If you have money to kill, and you want something to do for three months (or you think you'll love Oblivion as much as we do), then go for it. If you want a new game full of fresh ideas, though, Skyrim is worth the wait.

Edited by thiafy