including meshes for armor in a custom companion mod

Goldenhaze80

Hail and well met fellow modders.... I say fellow sparingly, for I am what one would call a: "total noob" when it comes to modding... :wallbash:

So I downloaded and installed Shadowplate armor mod (excellent) and I was visited with the idea to create a companion archer that uses the pieces I want... would very much like to exclude the "sexy" pieces of armor, as well as the chest containing the items in the original mod, in essence I only want my companion to wear certain pieces, without adding the whole original esp (no gear for the PC basically)... how would one do this? :mellow:

PS: I have permission from the author of shadowarmor to use the meshes... I'm just not sure how to extract only the pieces I need... making it unnecessary to have the original esp installed, circumnavigating conflicts.

You will make your companion plugin.

Then you will add her armor to her inventory, and you will see her equip it in the CS actor window.

Understand that before you can add it to her inventory you will have to add it in the armor meshes into the armor section of the CS.

It's easiest to do that if you are able to look at the armors and textures in Nifskope and either Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, The Gimp, Paint.net or any other image editor that supports dds plugin tools.

Follow the directory structure protocol established by Bethesda and best practices to make your new folder.

once your meshes and textures are in their own new folders add them to the CS.

Then add them to your character's inventory. If you give her more than one set of clothes you will have to script them to change or they may wear something unexpected.

This is obviously an OVERVIEW. This is not a step by step tutorial, nor is it meant to be, this is just to explain what you're looking at having to accomplish. Feel free to ask follow up questions.

When you have all the file paths set up the right way, and you have play-tested your mod and it works, then the easy way to package your file is with TES4Files. It is free and downloadable. It is fast and automatic, and does all the work for you without making any silly mistakes. It puts the files into the proper directory format so that gamers can just drag and drop to install the mod properly without headscratching and exclamation points.