There a good Alternative to Fast Travel?

Aracade

That's the general question. My search fu is a skill that is vastly under developed.

As it stands I need something to get around a bit faster. Half the time I use Fast Travel, it crashes me game and I don't know why. Only time I can use it is directly after starting a saved file. IF I play fro a while 7 out of ten times I'm going to have to start the game up again because it crashes.

That's the general question. My search fu is a skill that is vastly under developed.

As it stands I need something to get around a bit faster. Half the time I use Fast Travel, it crashes me game and I don't know why. Only time I can use it is directly after starting a saved file. IF I play fro a while 7 out of ten times I'm going to have to start the game up again because it crashes.

For me the Alternative is to walk.

I Never Fast Travel, I walk everywhere I go all the time.. lol

Probably not what you are looking for, but it sure is an Alternative. ;)

mods that improve your movement speed might be useful :P

or vehicle mods..

but what you really need is something to stabilise the game, but we'd all love that :P

I also get crashes periodically, not quite as bad as it sounds like you're getting it, but still enough to make me wary about fast travel at times.

generally it happens when I have a loading screen, so fast-travel, walking through doors...anything remotely like that.

annoying, but it doesn't usually recur when I restart the game.

If you want to use the console you can move around anywhere if you know reference ID's.

I find it easy to lookup reference ID's for NPCs on Wiki. For example, Old Ben at the New Vegas Strip North Gate is Ref ID 15968B

~

player.moveto 15968B

(Of course Ben can move later in the game, but early on its a fast way to get to The Strip.)

I think I'm gonna try this mod.

Advanced J3XMotorcycle (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40645)

In theory it should work ok.

It's not instant travel but considering I tend to kill everything on the way to places.

It should be alright. Still walking without the walking and faster then these poor legs can carry.

Long as there are no hyper annoying conflicts, it could my long range travel replacement.

On a side note. The Mod community is awesome and very scary.

Autosaves are a common reason for crashes, make sure you turn those off.

Really!?! :excl:

That's the first time I heard that.

On a side note. Motorcycle in my personal case is a bust. I think I crashed faster on that thing. ... It's pretty cool to mess with for a little bit.

May just hoof it. Though I'll try disabling autosave and see if that helps.

I actually think that might be it though or at least part of the problem. The load screen does seem to finish-ish before it all goes black then error.

Yeah, auto-saves AND quicksaves don't do as robust a job as a full save.

Always use full saves and only restore from those. It really makes a difference in stability the longer you play a game. Not saying the game is stable to begin with, but ...

Even so, the game does glitch sometimes on loads, very annoying, it has nothing to do with corrupted saves. I've found by going back and loading my very first save, then when I'm in the game I press ESC and load the save I want to load, that often gets past the glitch.