Permission Request Ettiquette

LoogieMkII

If you ask to use someone's resources in a mod you made, how much time is appropriate to wait for a reply before releasing anyway? I have a feeling some modders whose resources I've used for an outfit are no longer active, and I don't expect replies back from the messages I sent them.

If you ask to use someone's resources in a mod you made, how much time is appropriate to wait for a reply before releasing anyway? I have a feeling some modders whose resources I've used for an outfit are no longer active, and I don't expect replies back from the messages I sent them.

AFAIK on Nexus there is no time limit unless the modder has specifically mentioned one in their README or special instructions. Some modders will add that if you don't hear back within a certain time it's OK to use, but if they don't explicitly say that then I believe the rule is NO its not OK.

All right thanks.... well thats not good :(

Yeah, I'm waiting on one approval myself. Keep your eyes peeled for suitable similar resources from other modders that would work and ask them as well.

Yeah, I had asked at one point, then realized I didn't need the resource for an initial release. I released without it, then about 3 weeks after that (4 weeks after asking) I got a reply.

Of course, I make it a habit of asking no matter what the permissions say, unless the file is released specifically as a modder's resource and states such that it can be used by anyone with no permissions asked. Otherwise, even if a mod says that assets can be used, I ask. This is as much to cover my own rear as to allow an asset creator/mod author to know that I'm using their stuff, and in what capacity it will be released.

I do it that way because it's how I want my work to be handled, and so that's how I treat the work done by others.