Factions (like New Vegas or FO3?)

Rimland

what do you think... or know... will the factions be like in New Vegas or like FO3 and Oblivion... almost irrelevant?

I don't think the College of Winter's Hold or the Companions will be out to kill each other...but I can see there being some conflict between the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood and the aforementioned, as well as issues between the Imperial Legion and the Stormcloaks, maybe there will be radical/extreme groups from any of these too. I hope it's like New Vegas, and more than just friggin' dialogue.

It seems as though the factions are more prominent throughout the world as well, compared to Oblivion anyways.A preview mentioned a unit of Imperial soldiers transporting a Stormcloak rebel to an unrevealed location, and a branch of the Companions fighting a giant.Hopefully these are random encounters that occur dynamically and not just scripted events that occur everytime you enter the vicinity for the first time. Edited by Corakus

besides Mythic Dawn, in Oblivion, factions were worthless ! the purpose was a reward for completing a quest... basically !

really hope factions are like in New Vegas !

No. The factions in Oblivion were VERY important. they were MORE important after OOO or MMM, but anyway, the factions told the game who owned what, who could spawn where (for enemies) who would go to kill the player compared to who would talk with them. It is more important in the background and the running of the game than player knowledge, I will agree.

besides Mythic Dawn, in Oblivion, factions were worthless ! the purpose was a reward for completing a quest... basically !

No. The factions in Oblivion were VERY important. they were MORE important after OOO or MMM, but anyway, the factions told the game who owned what, who could spawn where (for enemies) who would go to kill the player compared to who would talk with them. It is more important in the background and the running of the game than player knowledge, I will agree.

okay, yes... indeed... umm... hmm... suppose i wasn't clear what i meant to say... what i meant was... in hindsight... will reputation with factions be an important aspect of Skyrim like it is in New Vegas... or not like in FO3 and Oblivion

okay, yes... indeed... umm... hmm... suppose i wasn't clear what i meant to say... what i meant was... in hindsight... will reputation with factions be an important aspect of Skyrim like it is in New Vegas... or not like in FO3 and Oblivion

Ah. Radient Story says that micro events might use these. Macro events are more complicated, and changing ranks in that makes it even more complex. Can it happen? Yes. Will it? I can't say, but with the Radiant story coming out, the way factions work together is a lot different from NV or Oblivion.

As far as anyone knows Factions in Skyrim will be like they were in Oblivion: Primarily sidequest-dispensers. I wouldn't expect there to be an NV-style reputation system (whatever that is; never played NV): New Vegas was developed by Obsidian, not Bethesda. Edited by Alcrin