writers gather up for a TES books mod?

MoonSweets

@frakle: thank you very much :) very very few TES books have illustrations indeed and since the story was a little "long" I thought it'd make it more entertaining^^

@chokomoko: I used Adobe InDesign to create the pdf, it's a great soft ...when you get the basics of it. Not that complicated in the end. If you want I can upload the ressources (book background and font) and a base indd document with some pages ready for text input (but this would require InDesign CS3 or more recent versions to edit). I like InDesign for, now I've done my template, I can create new books very quickly by just changing the text content of it (and the cover) and easily convert into a light pdf document (fine for the web).

Now it's possible to do the same with other softs, including free ones but... I don't know which for I don't need them...^^;

If you have your story all done, you can make a nice book cover and I should have all needed to make the pdf for you, I could eventually make the cover as well if needed.

@Aldarion Thorondir: I'm francophone so don't hesitate to PM me in French for any help =) (traduction, mise en forme, publication... quoi que ce soit... Après tout une version française du mod ne serait pas mal non plus !)

• 4 months later...

The Creation Kit has been released yesterday! And I've uploaded the list with the latest books I've released. Some more to be released soon!

As soon as I've got a little time I'm putting my hands on the CK and start trying to find out how to add books ingame so if you've got some TES books it's time to show up, dudes!

And again, books you have written, not ones from the game!

Maybe i will help out by writing some TES books. Thats if i ever get the time, of course.

That would be nice =) I'm about to (finally, hurray!) put my hands on the CK so I hope I can up in few time and say adding books is alright! ...I'll just need to find out how to add textures and tweak them. I got .dds files but for some reason Photoshop isn't reading them though I have Nvidia's plugin. I'll try on my other computer just in case...

If I can get to work with the textures I wouldn't be against trying to make more unique textures for the most popular books already ingame.

Alright! So Another Book of Daedra is now in Skryim: see the screenshot

It may be slightly annoying that the CK is unstable while running Skyrim and you have to load and quit and load and quit the game again and again for testing but well. That's how it is in game dev so I'll deal with it.

Adding books is very easy to do, the only bad surprise was that for some reason the apostrophe character used in game is different that the standard one so I had to copy one from another book and replace all the apostrophes of the text. I tried to just ctrl+H this in wordpad to be done in a second but obviously it didn't work and I had to replace them all manually, which is seriously annoying. I didn't find a "search and replace" option so far...

Now I have to see if I can create new textures so it would be possible to add illustrations! =D

Count me in. You want the stories to follow already established canon, correct?

Yes, for this mod it should match the existing lore. Idealy the players shouln't feel like this is a mod, they should rather feel like "hey, I had never noticed this book before.." in spite of "oh, this book was added by the mod" so it doesn't break the immersion. However if some want to make some silly books or whatever it could be possible to make another mod for the people who would like it. For now I prefer that we stay canon for most people seek for immersion.

For the moment I didn't succeed to add images in the books. Images codes require a path, it's just like HTML img src=URL. The problem is that the address is like //Textures/folder/folder/image.png and I think "//" refers to the bsa archive or so... I don't really know how to link the image directory I created and since I tend to suck at this kind of stuff, it someone has a solution I'd love to know...

At some point it will also be needed to find out where to make those books available since Nords have so few book sellers. There's the College of Winterhold for more "scientifical" books, the Bard's College for more "entertaining"books, and maybe the books can also be placed in various places, be available as part of random loots of some chests/bookshelves etc... But do you think it could require to add like new places where some of the books can be found or new NPC? That would be a lot of work and at the same time it can be interesting.

I tend to think though that it's possible to just keep this mod simple with just books available and to go more in depth then... Then it would be a bigger mod.

Personally I'd love to make a mod that turns the Bard's College into something actually interesting and gives the bards more songs to sing, have an actual political interest as you write songs about some events and can tell the truth or lie, be confronted to the Thalmor and censure... That would cool.

And another mod that could be some sort of extension of the College of Winterhold, to make it more alive with more stuff happening as researches go on and you can join in to study the Dwemer technology, the Daedras, even search for creatures frozen in the ice of the Ghost Sea in hope to discover lost races...! =D

...Sorry for my enthusiasm! But well, I'll be looking for teamwork.

This is actually a really exciting idea, literature plays such a huge part in the real world.

I would be more than happy to contribute, the hardest part will be deciding what to write about.

Hum... there are so many things to write about indeed. I made a poll on deviantART few days ago to try to get an idea of what people wanted to read about. Though not much people answered already there are yet enough to get an idea of the proportions... and it seriously doesn't help at all. There's a preference for Daedras then Dark Brotherhood and no one voted for thieves, that's all I can give as clue XD

But just think of you, if you were in the world of Tamriel, who you would be and what you'd write about. That's really the key to making an immersive book, becoming a dweller of this world even as an author writing a story about fictive characters of this world. When you write a TES book you're not here anymore, you're in Tamriel. So let yourself go, choose your words right, enjoy what you're doing, love it but don't forget your audience too much (or then on precise purpose) and you should get something cool =)