Dissapointed?

Fatalmasterpiece

technically the original game was suppose to be a combat sim of sorts .. they just kept adding to it till it became an RPG .. then made another .. then tried to make more linear games "redgaurd and battlespire" but the fans wanted more or daggerfall .. so they made morrowind .. in the long term they have been making the game more and more complex and giving players more and more options .. oblivion was a step down in a lot of ways but the NPCs were the showcase there .. now skyrim looks to fall somewhere in between morrowind and oblivion in terms of world complexity but they are making it less annoying to those of us who didnt exactly see all the class and Attributes as making the world more realistic .. all its doing is adding another thing to deal with "dumb it down" might be some peoples term but a lot of other players see this as getting rid of needless hassle .. I love leveling skills based on how much I use them .. I love collecting loot and selling off my old items cause there stats wernt as good .. but I did not like Attributes one bit .. they are needed for some things but they just annoyed me and took me out of the world... and thats my opinion

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods are in perfect world meant to be added gameplay to give you more hours to the gameplay. To give you more value of the game over time. They are not meant to fix the developer's interest in holding your hand and making the game not be the sequel to the original, adding some gameplay mechanics that the people there from the beginning would find interesting. Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and the upcoming Skyrim all play differently and someone that might have found Daggerfall appealing might have hated Morrowind, or someone that LOVED Morrowind might have got upset that the spears were left out in Oblivion as it was his favorite weapon. New people will come and leave the series as the players are eventually outburned and missused. So perhaps Elder Scrolls 7 if that will ever come to be, might not have modding tools and be a multiplayer arena run-around-spam-spells sort of game. Which will have appeal to some people, but those that played Morrowind, and Oblivion would just hate it.

:blink:

It's kind of a given that fans come and go; a series (typically) has to evolve to compete in sales, and that often includes appealing to a wider audience. None of this was anywhere near my point.

There is still much we don't know about the inner workings of the game, so it's extremely presumptive to say that the game is designed for "holding your hand." Wait until you've played it or dug around in the data files, then pass judgement. This is still Bethesda, with the same (albeit larger) team and the same creative mind driving Skyrim's development. They can't please everyone, and that's exactly why the Creation Kit will be such an asset to the fans that wind up less than pleased.

:blink:

It's kind of a given that fans come and go; a series (typically) has to evolve to compete in sales, and that often includes appealing to a wider audience. None of this was anywhere near my point.

There is still much we don't know about the inner workings of the game, so it's extremely presumptive to say that the game is designed for "holding your hand." Wait until you've played it or dug around in the data files, then pass judgement. This is still Bethesda, with the same (albeit larger) team and the same creative mind driving Skyrim's development. They can't please everyone, and that's exactly why the Creation Kit will be such an asset to the fans that wind up less than pleased.

Which is why in the op I state mostly gripes with factors that are evidently present in the preview, factors which have and are still problems since their last release.

They can't please everyone, but there are many flaws I wish they would stop overlooking.

It's much more realistic without athletics or acrobatics. Jumping some 20 feet into the air isn't possible, for one. Running at 200 mph is just annoying. In fact, you don't even need a horse if your speed is 80+... You're already that much faster than them.

I paid for the CE... I will deny all charges of disappointment!

Well I´m not dissapointed but I agree with you with the blurry textures and the AI.Also if this was the demo shown at E3?Quakecon? I remember it was said it wasn´t the final product so mabe they´ll fix that.

It's much more realistic without athletics or acrobatics. Jumping some 20 feet into the air isn't possible, for one. Running at 200 mph is just annoying. In fact, you don't even need a horse if your speed is 80+... You're already that much faster than them.

why do I need a mount?.... I am already a beast... what would possess me to ride a beast less powerful than myself

^ this reasoning is what always went through my mind while playing any one of my numerous oblivion files... Horses for me were just a novelty... something to try out and never ride again because they were inefficient means of transportation compared with myself.

The horseback riding looks better in Skyrim but i doubt i'll use them much unless i'm playing a Nord or a Breton.... which wont be seeing play from me until my 3rd / 4th characters.

I rather take pride in my own speed than in the speed of my beast of burden any day.... u are crazy 4 thinking otherwise

"Realistic"--- why even bring that word up lol... dragons / magic / strange gods / daedric princes / orcs / elves / ---- are those things realistic?

When you are immresed in TES everything does seem to be realistic... and considering everything else that goes on in the series I would say that my superpowerful character being able to jump 20 feet and run 200 mph fits right in with the rest of it

edit--- fast movement (too fast) was only a problem when indoors and u knocked items all over the place... outside it was great... and if your characters' high speed really bothered you... u could always create a drain attribute / skill spell and apply it to yourself

Edited by DunmerDruid

Well, at least the games haven't yet reached the point where they ship a construction set, a manual for it, and a piece of paper saying "Here, do it yourself!"

I don't mind a bit of stat juggling. Lack thereof doesn't make me think it's dumbed down, but I can see where they're going with it. Casuals and FPSers etc won't want to fiddle-futz around with what to them are extraneous details, and Bethesda is trying to widen its audience to stay competitive.

Areas where I start to think of a game as being 'dumbed down':

Too much hand-holding. Why no, Oblivion, I would never think if my target were dead/the item obtained that I should go turn in the quest!

Making the game area smaller and removing content because 'people complained about getting lost'.

Limiting choices and consequences because people can't figure stuff out. If killing an important NPC will lose the game, so be it. I'll not kill everyone I meet in the future.

I also think too much retconning the lore and not introducing new lore to discover is dumbing down. "Hurr hurr, books are dumb!!!1111"

I don't think that attempting to streamline things in an intelligent manner is dumbing down. I do however think it lazy on the dev's parts to say "Well, fans carped about XYZ, we'll just remove it altogether instead of finding ways to make it better."

why do I need a mount?.... I am already a beast... what would possess me to ride a beast less powerful than myself

^ this reasoning is what always went through my mind while playing any one of my numerous oblivion files... Horses for me were just a novelty... something to try out and never ride again because they were inefficient means of transportation compared with myself.

The horseback riding looks better in Skyrim but i doubt i'll use them much unless i'm playing a Nord or a Breton.... which wont be seeing play from me until my 3rd / 4th characters.

I rather take pride in my own speed than in the speed of my beast of burden any day.... u are crazy 4 thinking otherwise

"Realistic"--- why even bring that word up lol... dragons / magic / strange gods / daedric princes / orcs / elves / ---- are those things realistic?

When you are immresed in TES everything does seem to be realistic... and considering everything else that goes on in the series I would say that my superpowerful character being able to jump 20 feet and run 200 mph fits right in with the rest of it

edit--- fast movement (too fast) was only a problem when indoors and u knocked items all over the place... outside it was great... and if your characters' high speed really bothered you... u could always create a drain attribute / skill spell and apply it to yourself

Wow, I'm really glad you're not a dev for BGS or else this game be horrible.I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of things that exist in Skyrim, exist in our world as well.So your "Game should not be realistic cuz it haz dragons and elves!" argument basically makes no sense.