Anyone is going to work on a blocking mod?

topeira

We all know by now that blocking is only possible if you are using a shield or one weapon. no other way to do it.

it makes little sense to not being able to block with 2 weapons or while using a weapon + a spell as it should be easy to "turn off" the spell and hold the weapon with both hands to block.

So the main question of this message is this: Is there anyone in the modding community who is planning a mod to allow blocking while dual wielding or using magic+weapon?

in theory using the blocking animation of the weapon+empty hand while using magic+weapon seems easy as a solution, while creating a blocking animation for dual wielding could take a long time, but maybe there is a way to use a part of another dual wielding animation as a blocking animation...

also, if there was a deeper mod i'd suggest an idea like this -

tapping both triggers (hand buttons) is parrying.

parrying might use one of the attacking animations since it looks more like attacking the enemy's swing. with one weapon or even with a weapon+shield it can look like a one hand swing to the right. (from looking at the E3 vids this animation fits, IMO.)

with dual wield there is a power attack done that way. i know. holding both triggers is the power attack. tapping it is parry.

with a spell and a sword it works the same way.

parrying means - tap both triggers WHILE an NPC is attacking and u avoid damage and the enemy recoil backwards for longer than if u had blocked. blocking is done by holding the off hand or shield. with a shield u stop around 95% of damage and with a weapon block u stop around 85%. this way parrying is ALWAYS an option so with a little bit of skill a player can ALWAYS do something against an incoming attack. a shield is more effective because u can still parry but also blocking is better than any other option and it's easier to pull off.

someone said it will make 2 handed weapons obsolete. no, it doesnt. because with 2 handed weapons u can still block and parry. with dual wielding u cant block but can parry. also i think that 2 handed weapons should cause a stronger staggering when hitting and have greater range. dual wielding has weaker individual attack with less staggering but it has a higher rate of attack. this effects fighting groups more when u WANT to cause an enemy to stagger to give attention to others, or even hit multiple targets at one swing. dual wielding is better against a single target.

Edited by topeira

Many issues with what you propose. I can guarantee you someone will come out with a blocking mod, but as it will be for the PC, it won't involve "tapping both triggers". Especially when that is used in most situations, such as dual wielding, for a special move. I'd say it's more likely to be put to a button such as 'q', or something not dissimilar.

Many issues with what you propose. I can guarantee you someone will come out with a blocking mod, but as it will be for the PC, it won't involve "tapping both triggers". Especially when that is used in most situations, such as dual wielding, for a special move. I'd say it's more likely to be put to a button such as 'q', or something not dissimilar.

Please educate me? What issues? Besides the button issue, i mean.

Is this animation issues, u think? Cuz to me the animations, especially with the dual wield, is the main and only issue.

P.s.

Also i think that tapping both hands doesnt do anything if u r not dual wielding spells or weapons. Like if u r using a weapon and a spell than icant imagine what would it be in THAT case.

I like the idea of not being able to block without a shield or two handed weapon. It make shields a much more lucrative choice as oppose to Oblivion where almost no one used them because you could block a guys power attack with a dagger if you wanted.

If I were to make a change I would make it to where in the one handed weapons skill tree there was a perk to parry enemy blows similar to what the OP posted making them glance of your weapon but it required exact timing and only displaced some of the incoming damage. That way shields don't get down played again.

Edited by NAPALM13092

in real life a shield has the advantage because if the warrior held it up than he neednt use timing and direction consideration to block. blocking with a weapon reaquire timing and angle of the weapon.

this is the advantage of shield in real life combat.

this should be reflected in the game - shield allow blocking with 95% damage resistance so it's very effective. blocking with weapons is less effective. maybe 85%. parrying requires timing so it's harder. this is the disadvantage of parrying - iit's harder to pull off. there IS a tread off and a good reason to block with a shield. also i think that magic and arrows should only be blocked with a shield.

If you're parrying, more than likely you simply wouldn't take damage. Real shield combat actually relied on timed and well placed shielding, as an enemy simply wouldn't attack your shield if they could maneuver around it (unless they had a proper weapon for it, such as a mace). It's not a question of "is it possible to make the mod", it's "who will make it". They left it out to balance out the weaponry. If one got proficient with parrying on one character, what's to stop him from simply dual wielding with every character archetype? Your damage output should be high enough that you don't need parrying anyways.

If you're parrying, more than likely you simply wouldn't take damage. Real shield combat actually relied on timed and well placed shielding, as an enemy simply wouldn't attack your shield if they could maneuver around it (unless they had a proper weapon for it, such as a mace). It's not a question of "is it possible to make the mod", it's "who will make it". They left it out to balance out the weaponry. If one got proficient with parrying on one character, what's to stop him from simply dual wielding with every character archetype? Your damage output should be high enough that you don't need parrying anyways.

i know what you are saying about balance, but still parrying might be hard to pull off against more than 2 or more enemies so blocking becomes easier to pull off.

the balance of things will not be clear until the game comes out, obviously, but modding is not always about balance. it's mostly about letting ppl play the game how they think it's more fun.

to me the inability to block with dual wielding or spell+weapon or the ability to chuck a fire ball while using one weapon without a shield is artificial. if magic was possible in the real world by making a gesture with your palm than blocking was still possible. if dual wielding was possible in real life than so was blocking... oh wait - it IS possible in real life.

i am all for balance, but not on the expense of limitations that make no sense. if it's something that can be done in real life and in older games than it should be possible to do in a more advanced game.

so i wonder if someone in the modding community is actually into trying to make blocking possible with spell+weapon (should be the easiest to pull off) or dual wielding.

and if someone is excited about the parrying idea as i am than the parrying mod idea.

there were a few mods for oblivion that kinda created parrying but deflecting all damage by tapping block in time and by creating staggering by tapping block in time. maybe these guys.

No one is saying that parrying isn't realistic. I'm familiar with two weapon combat at a fairly basic level and parrying is an essential part of the art. Yes, the community could obviously mod parrying into the game. There probably will be a mod for it. I think you should give the question some more time and wait for the game to come out. I've got an arena mod planned (because there is no arena this time), but I'm limited on how I can plan it because I don't know what all content (enemies, geography, armor, weapons, and so on) is in the game.

I'd say give it a week or so after the game is out, then come back with the question.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

Blocking while dual-wielding sounds like a good idea, and I don't know why they don't have it in the first place. I don't know what we can do with the construction set so I can't say whether or not we'll see this any time soon. It might be easy to fix, or it might need some kind of complicated workaround, might require a script extender, might need new animations, or any number of other things.

Certainly I'll TRY to mod dual-wield blocking into the game when I get it.

Blocking while dual-wielding sounds like a good idea, and I don't know why they don't have it in the first place. I don't know what we can do with the construction set so I can't say whether or not we'll see this any time soon. It might be easy to fix, or it might need some kind of complicated workaround, might require a script extender, might need new animations, or any number of other things.

Certainly I'll TRY to mod dual-wield blocking into the game when I get it.

It's not in the game because it wouldn't work on a 360 controller with the way they are now using the triggers lol. Man I hate consoles.

Edit: I don't see why they didn't map block to the bumpers though. Unless they have some sort of new function on them It doesn't make a lot of sense to not have dual-wield blocking in the game.

Edited by jordanLoL