How to pack your mods in a nice way

DeepSoul

I'm writing this because I've noticed a weird trend in packing mods, that doesn't make sense at all. Most modders have a tendency to put everything in a folder and convert that folder into an archive, ending up with a file structure that looks like this:

[idiotic and annoying folder]

-- [meshes]

-- [textures]

-- modname.esp

I think this creates a lot of unnecessary work for downloaders because you first have to extract the files somewhere, move them into Data and for Wryebash users, repack the whole mod and then delete the empty folder. It would save a lot of trouble if you could just extract everything directly into your Data folder or paste it directly into Bash Installers. That would be possible with a file structure like this:

[meshes]

[textures]

modname.esp

Hard to achieve? Not at all. Simply mark all the files and right-click any of them, then "add to archive" and you will be prompted to type the name of the archive. Either people are incompetent or just lazy. You might say "But how hard is it to move some files?" No, it's not that hard but if you are using Wryebash(which is a very useful and rewarding install tool) you have to repack every single mod you want to install and packing mods like I suggested is very easy.

Edited by DeepSoul

It's not really that hard to simply go into that first folder and copy and paste the esp, meshes, textures files straight to the data folder. At least they are putting the meshes and textures in their actual folders. I've downloaded plenty of mods where they didn't even bother to do that.

I personally have the mod name folder with the Data folder and a Readme and possible pictures. It realy doesn't make sense to place the Readme inside the Data folder.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

That's a standard way to pack things (standard = almost everyone does it). There is nothing unusual or strange about it. Modders usually put .esp and other folders into data folder so that you can directly copy everything into Oblivion directory.

Why do you need to repack it if you use Wrye?

That is not an idiotic and annoying way to pack files. That is the industry standard and normal way to pack files. This is the way the program TES4Files packages mods and it is a good way to do it. Unless you are packing your files as OMODs or packing in a BAIN-ready or OMOD-ready format, you should be using TES4Files and packaging your files in an "idiotic and annoying" way because that is how you are supposed to do it. Edited by David Brasher

That is not an idiotic and annoying way to pack files. That is the industry standard and normal way to pack files. This is the way the program TES4Files packages mods and it is a good way to do it. Unless you are packing your files as OMODs or packing in a BAIN-ready or OMOD-ready format, you should be using TES4Files and packaging your files in an "idiotic and annoying" way because that is how you are supposed to do it.

You pretty much said it all David http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/dance.gif

Tes4Files automatically does that, and it works. Also you shouldn't expect modders to change the way they do things , just so that it makes things easier for YOU.

As the others have said it is pretty standard to package them that way --- so that once you extract the mod to your back up file location you have each mod in its own seperate file instead of every mod thrown together in a single folder if you ever need to reinstall from backups it is much easier to have each mod in it's own folder ! - then you just navigate into that folder click on the top and bottom file while holding the shift button - right click and copy - move to your OB data folder and Paste and it is all installed (very simple and much better than having to go through several hundred files to find the ones specific to that mod !!)

Plus it also gives you a chance to examine the files and the way they are packaged before you install --- unpacking directly into your data folder from the archive is asking for problems if the modder is new\inexperienced and packaged them incorrectly - left out files - or packaged unneeded files by mistake.

Edited by JDFan

I guess I pack my mods in an idiotic way then, but I'm not changing it for the sake of a couple of steps. If it's too much trouble to extract to a temp directory and then move the files you don't need the mod....mine or anyone else's.

It's my personal preference to install all mods manually, except for large ones like overhauls and graphic enhancers like Qarl's. In that case I create Omods but only if they are not in BSA format already.

It's also a way for mod users to learn which files go where, file names and folder structures, especially in the case something may have been incorrectly packed or left out (something I've done a few times.)

You may think this is unnecessary for someone who just wants to use mods, but if people actually take the time to learn these things it would make it much easier when it comes to the "help me, a mod is crashing my game" scenarios. Easier for the user and for people trying to help particularly when people give the minimum info possible and want an instant solution.

1. Why do you need to have extracted mods as backup? Isn't it enough to have it as a zipfile?

2. I can appreciate the form where it's put into Data folder. At least that makes sense for small mods. I don't know if Wrye would accept it though. From what I've read a BAIN ready mod has Data as root.

3. My way of packing mods makes most sense and is best for everyone, because you can still extract to a temporary location by choosing "extract to [folder name]" which creates a folder with the same name as the archive and places everything there. There is no argument you can provide that will prove otherwise.

4. OBMM generally sucks for installing mods because of it's archiveinvalidation feature that usually screws everything up. Couldn't care less about it. Since I changed to Wrye I've never had trouble with missing meshes and textures and it's so much better for uninstalling mods, since it doesn't just rip everything away from your install, without replacing the old files. Of course you are free to use whatever you like best though.

5. Idiotic and annoying was just sarcasm. No need to take it personal.

6. If you insist on packing your mods the way you've always done, go ahead and do so. My way was just a suggestion and it's not like I can force anyone ;). Since I shoved it in your face the way I did, I should have expected everyone to go against me. Next time I upload something I will do it like this:

[MyMod\Programfiles\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data] :ohdear:

--[meshes]

--[textures]

--[esp] -- Mymod.esp

:devil:

I bet you would like that wouldn't you? Maybe now you see my point.

Edited by DeepSoul

1. With small mods, I can see your point, but with large mods I rather have them unzipped so I don't have to unzip them later.

2. Nothing to answer...

3. Not everyone uses Wrye, therefore it's not best for everyone. I like the idiotic way cause it "looks" more "clean". (Not sure if that's the correct word. Pfft, Norwegians right?) + I don't have to mix ReadMes, pictures and other stuff with the actual mod files.

4. Can't really comment, but I never had problems with OBMM.

5. I didn't. :P

6. If you do pack your mod that way, it's not that hard, or even time comsuming, to install it. I'm starting to wonder who is lazy here. (Just throwing some of your insults back at you. :P)

Edited by Alexx378