Lowering item values?

NocturneNight

Was wondering if there's a mod out there that alters the absurd gold values of most items? I have atleast never seen one. If I were to make such a mod, what would I need to do? It's mainly the enchanted items that concern me, yet I can't find them in the Construction Set.

There is sort of a design flaw in my opinion with how Oblivion is set up. You really can't adjust the values of enchanted items. You ought to be able to, but you can't very much. You lower the value to 1 Septim, and then the computer looks at the intensity of the enchantments and charge level of the item and says, "Ah ha! I think I will make this worth 3256 Septims." It really stinks. The only thing that you the modder can really control is dropping the value to 1 Septim. Because if it had been 500 Septims in that box, then the example item would be worth 3755 Septims.

To find the enchanted items in the CS, go to the weapons, armor, and clothing sections. The rings, amulets, and necklaces are in the clothing section. You can just scroll through the whole list, sort by name, if you know the in-game name of your item, or look at a sub-category such as steel weapons if you know your enchanted item is made of steel. You can also look at the column labled "Enchanting" to determine at a glance whether or not an item has an enchantment.

There is sort of a design flaw in my opinion with how Oblivion is set up. You really can't adjust the values of enchanted items. You ought to be able to, but you can't very much. You lower the value to 1 Septim, and then the computer looks at the intensity of the enchantments and charge level of the item and says, "Ah ha! I think I will make this worth 3256 Septims." It really stinks. The only thing that you the modder can really control is dropping the value to 1 Septim. Because if it had been 500 Septims in that box, then the example item would be worth 3755 Septims.

To find the enchanted items in the CS, go to the weapons, armor, and clothing sections. The rings, amulets, and necklaces are in the clothing section. You can just scroll through the whole list, sort by name, if you know the in-game name of your item, or look at a sub-category such as steel weapons if you know your enchanted item is made of steel. You can also look at the column labled "Enchanting" to determine at a glance whether or not an item has an enchantment.

Yeah I found them myself last night after looking some more, but thank you nonetheless!

What you are saying about the values is disturbing though. :S I will try it out and see for myself, though I've no reason to doubt you. Perhaps if you somehow lower the... "intensity" of the enchantment? That would ofcourse make the items a lot less powerful, but to be fair, that is something I'd be willing to do anyway. I feel that some of them are quite over-powered as is, and I think it's more fun to enchant your own jewelry anyway. :)

Enhanced Economy

Things it can do ('can' because it's very configurable):

- reduce enchanted item prices

- reduce availability of enchanted and other items

- lower prices generally (or add value to valueless items)

- provides a means to edit prices yourself via csv files and thus avoid the CS.

It does much more but these are the features relevant to your post.

I believe EE alters the prices via script after the game engine has done it's thing thereby avoiding the barrier Brasher mentioned.

Enhanced Economy

Things it can do ('can' because it's very configurable):

- reduce enchanted item prices

- reduce availability of enchanted and other items

- lower prices generally (or add value to valueless items)

- provides a means to edit prices yourself via csv files and thus avoid the CS.

It does much more but these are the features relevant to your post.

I believe EE alters the prices via script after the game engine has done it's thing thereby avoiding the barrier Brasher mentioned.

That's awesome, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...