What is the true value of currency

kvnchrist

A lot of people speak of wealth as being something preferable, but preferable to what? Does it have any value by itself or is it gain it's value by what it is used for.

There seems to be a growing attitude that the love of money is somehow wrong, Is this correct or is this just a scapegoat for those without ambition? Is it the business of others to condone or condemn it's use in anything that it's owner has in mind?

The love of money in and of itself isn't really wrong, per se, however, loving money above all else, to the point that you don't care whom you hurt to get some more, THAT is wrong. Acquiring it by the exploitation of others is also not a good idea. Exploitation can take many different forms though.....

Currency has its own intrinsic value, such that it can be exchanged for goods and services.

Money is simply the quickest and most attainable route to power. If used wisely, it can move mountains and help others, if used thoughtlessly, it can bring about pain, sadness, and death. Those with an ambition to make a mark on the world almost certainly have some knowledge too, but you can't go very far on just thoughts and charisma unless someone else is footing the bill.

Is money the only currency? Does reputation have a currency all it's own. What is the value of a good friend that you can trust with your life.

It's impossible to put a price on what you've stated, I've personally lost everyone I trusted, it'll be along time til I find others to trust.

I'm sorry about that. I have only a few people I trust, By currency I am talking about faith in others, that have proven themselves. I'm sorry if people screwed you over.

If you're talking about like cash / coin money itself, it's 100% useless until exchanged for a product or service. No one needs currency, but everyone needs the product or service. In most cases the only way to get the product or service is through currency, so now currency becomes important.

Then supply-and-demand takes over.

The more people want an item, the more expensive it becomes because supply always has some limit. For example, a new vehicle is $18,000.00+. If somehow we were able to teleport to where ever we wanted to go just by snapping our fingers vehicles would become useless. (demand would drop way low) If someone found an area on earth with billions of tons of gold, gold would drop to the cost of common metal, etc...

A small quibble, but an important one. Wealth and money, while similar, are not synonyms. I would refer you to Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations" for a full explanation of the idea. It is a long and dry read, but the concepts in the book are invaluable. In particular I would reference what I consider the phrase that sums up his core argument:

"The real price of every thing, What every thing really costs to the man who wants to acquire it, is the toil and trouble of acquiring it. What every thing is really worth to the man who has acquired it, and who wants to dispose of it, or exchange it for something else, is the toil and trouble which it can save to himself, and which it can impose upon other people. That this is really the foundation of the exchangeable value of all things, excepting those which cannot be increased by human industry, is a doctrine of the utmost importance in political economy".

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. ;)

It isn't the business of others to condone or condemn your use of a money unless it is personally and greatly affecting them. An example is if the leader of a group has taken all the group's wealth for himself and is squandering at the expensive of the rest of the group (Gadaafi may be guilty of this).

The love of money usrely isn't wrong. Money died on the cross for our sins and it loves us deeply. When our family and friends have faded and left us behind, money will still be there for us, ready to buy us new friends and help us start new families.

Without money ambition and drive would come from where? Without greed who would ensure that every household on the planet had disinfectant to clean their baby toys, shampoo to wash their hair and computers to debate topic in forums.

"Money won't buy happiness." I have to agree that money alone won't buy happiness. By itself it's pretty cool to have everything you want but if you can't go where you want and you don't have time to do what you want or hang out with friends then it sucks.