Speech minigames

Jermungand

It suddenly occurred to me: How does persuasion and bartering actually work this time around? I know they're one skill (and that's a good thing), but how are the minigames actually played? Have they been simplified? Do they feel rewarding and worthwhile? I'm sure they've ditched the stupid and awkward 4-quadrant option bulls***.

Has this been covered? I should think it has, but I have no memory.

Its like F3 .. choose the right dialog and they like you more .. the speech skill will add new ways to convince people to help you... no mini game

Thanks

So how do you level it up (I never played F3 long enough)? It sounds as if I'd be majoring in the skill, just because I would have no reason to be recklessly nasty.

What about bartering?

I have to wonder if Speech is going to be the Athletics of Skyrim: It inevitably climbs, no matter who you are.

No.. that would make dialog options pointless.

That is to say, that it is leveled easily, simply by doing the obvious. In Oblivion, you didn't HAVE TO run all the time, it was just the clearly preferable option.

well it might level as you go through all the dialog options .. allowing the people who really like to talk to the NPC "like me" higher levels in speech than people who skip the stuff they have already heard or don't care about .. it will also more than likely level when you buy and sell things too... this is all guessing but I know they did away with the silly spinner wheel game.

Your Speech imo would honestly have to be based on dialogue options. In FO3 you leveled up your Charisma to get people to help you and give you information (the occasional extra story changing result) , that's the only reason why you would level it up. In Skyrim it wouldn't be worth trying to be nice or anything to people JUST for that... or actually leveling it up as a skill would not work for that aspect.

I make no sense...What I mean is....

You can probably level it up (skill or dialogue) and then have different options of outcomes on certain things when talking to NPCs...you bring up a good point however, because I truly don't know :/

I found this thread, maybe it can give you a few pointers or ideas?

Edited by SynysterShadows1213

I read that in Skyrim you will be able to have a lot more in-depth conversations, even with average joe, so maybe you will be able to have a 'kind of' chat with someone like in Fable 2. So your replies and line of questioning/interacting govern your change in skill. I know that you can marry and companionise many NPCs and they all have a believeable backstory, so I guess merchants will be important enough for multiple dialogue options.

I'm hoping this is how it pans out: enter shop for first time, get to know the merchent i.e. are they married? kids? what's the town like? what's that, someone stole your 'insert item name'! I'll get it back!

Runs off to do quest in 'nearby interesting place'. Grabs some loot. Saves the day. Gets meta-happy-discount. Ker-****ing-ching.

Or- talking doesn't go so well, prices went up! Wait till night-time, follow merchant to bar. Ply with drink. Let simmer with a song for 1 hour (in-game that is). Stalk home, knife in back at first opportunity.

Talk to next owner, show severed finger/item of significance. Gets meta-fearful-discount. Ker-bloody-ching.

Wow I need to stop dreaming...