Speech minigames

Jermungand

I read that in Skyrim you will be able to have a lot more in-depth conversations, even with average joe, so maybe you will be able to have a 'kind of' chat with someone like in Fable 2. So your replies and line of questioning/interacting govern your change in skill. I know that you can marry and companionise many NPCs and they all have a believeable backstory, so I guess merchants will be important enough for multiple dialogue options.

I'm hoping this is how it pans out: enter shop for first time, get to know the merchent i.e. are they married? kids? what's the town like? what's that, someone stole your 'insert item name'! I'll get it back!

Runs off to do quest in 'nearby interesting place'. Grabs some loot. Saves the day. Gets meta-happy-discount. Ker-****ing-ching.

Or- talking doesn't go so well, prices went up! Wait till night-time, follow merchant to bar. Ply with drink. Let simmer with a song for 1 hour (in-game that is). Stalk home, knife in back at first opportunity.

Talk to next owner, show severed finger/item of significance. Gets meta-fearful-discount. Ker-bloody-ching.

Wow I need to stop dreaming...

Yea .. Thats totally what I'm hoping for .. a fable 3 like friendship quest but instead of silly dances the use of decent dialog would be welcome .. I mean .. fable 3 was an arse RPG but it had good ideas that you would have to be a fool not to acknowledge

@syn.. I think your saying what I was trying to say .. it should level based on how well you use the dialog option .. but F3 didn't have a lot and I can't imagain Skyrim will *finger crossed* .. either way they can't use the F3 leveling system since F3 just let you put skill points wherever you wanted .. o_O what would speechcraft be under anyways? .. thief?

I read that in Skyrim you will be able to have a lot more in-depth conversations, even with average joe, so maybe you will be able to have a 'kind of' chat with someone like in Fable 2. So your replies and line of questioning/interacting govern your change in skill. I know that you can marry and companionise many NPCs and they all have a believeable backstory, so I guess merchants will be important enough for multiple dialogue options.

I'm hoping this is how it pans out: enter shop for first time, get to know the merchent i.e. are they married? kids? what's the town like? what's that, someone stole your 'insert item name'! I'll get it back!

Runs off to do quest in 'nearby interesting place'. Grabs some loot. Saves the day. Gets meta-happy-discount. Ker-****ing-ching.

Or- talking doesn't go so well, prices went up! Wait till night-time, follow merchant to bar. Ply with drink. Let simmer with a song for 1 hour (in-game that is). Stalk home, knife in back at first opportunity.

Talk to next owner, show severed finger/item of significance. Gets meta-fearful-discount. Ker-bloody-ching.

Wow I need to stop dreaming...

That's actually.......a pretty good idea. The only thing is like in Fable 3 you basically do the same the quest over and over again for people, but in Skyrim you're not actually out to get people to help and support you in a revolution. You should be able to go on dates! If things don't work out.....

You: Uh huh...uh huh *bored*

Date: Oh and you wear dirty socks.

You: -.-

*Dragon comes out of nowhere to kill you*

Dragon: RAWR

You: *push date in front of Dragon*.

Date: Ahhh!

Dragon: *slurp*

You: *whistles and walks away*

I'd love it if playing one of those new musical instruments helped. I got "Bard" on the D&D character quiz, and I relate well to that result.

fable 3 was an arse RPG but it had good ideas that you would have to be a fool not to acknowledge

Please remind me... what were those ideas?

Edited by Jermungand

I'd love it if playing one of those new musical instruments helped. I got "Bard" on the D&D character quiz, and I relate well to that result.

fable 3 was an arse RPG but it had good ideas that you would have to be a fool not to acknowledge

Please remind me... what were those ideas?

Every NPC was given different intrests and there was a decent dating sim going on with it "though it wasn't put together well" the combat was pretty rewarding.. you upgraded hat you used and it changed your physical appearance based on it .. scars when you died .. muscle when you built up your strangth .. tall from building your agility .. evil evil looking when you did bad things .. got fat when you ate to much .. doing good made you look more angel like .. willpower caused you to grow will lines on your skin .. NPCs were very simple and it ould have been nice if they made some more complex characters in the mix but they all had a smidge of personality "unlike most RPGs where they are just hallow shells" .. you could have a family .. you could decorate your house and even display trophies .. you could buy multiple houses and rent them out to become a land lord .. I could keep going on and on but Fable had some wonderful immersive idea .. if that wasn't your thing then oh well but I really liked the simulation aspects of the game .. mixed with the realism of TES and their ambient AI then I could see an amazing "role playing" expiriance.

As long as its more like Fable 2 where you get to choose what you say, unlike Fable 3 where you get one good or bad choice for talking. Fable 3 took all the good ideas from number 3 and made them worse and frustrating!

I think that with the dynamic quest system in Skyrim it would be relatively easy to make a good NPC interaction mod. Just think of all the variables!

Like I said .. Fable series has wonderful ideas and imo was trying very hard to make a real living world .. They messed up real bad on some key parts though .. Someone on the team .. maybe peter himself~ .. but someone wanted a good role playing simulation of a medieval world with towns and living NPCs .. and someone else wanted an action game .. in the end it was a bad mix of both.

Like I said .. Fable series has wonderful ideas and imo was trying very hard to make a real living world .. They messed up real bad on some key parts though .. Someone on the team .. maybe peter himself~ .. but someone wanted a good role playing simulation of a medieval world with towns and living NPCs .. and someone else wanted an action game .. in the end it was a bad mix of both.

One of the best concepts I remember Peter Molyneux (?) talking about for games was love- for Fable 2 which I never played. It sounds soft but it applies to all 'immersive' games, especially Skyrim. With the companions guild if you can make the player care for a mortal companion (was done in FNV slightly) you need only write half the story, the rest is told by the player. Should your companion die you experience a whole different set of emotions. I was discussing with MizerD that if Beth can pull off making the player care for characters (especiallly considering lethal dragons I hope) along with their death that is timed right, Beth will have reached a whole new level of RPG. Doing a questline for Boone so he wears a slightly different outfit is different to an all out rage when your companion-s that you care for are slaughtered by a passing dragon. If a game can make you reach emotions like these was pretty much Peters point but given reviews and playing fable 3 it hasn't been reached yet.

One of the best concepts I remember Peter Molyneux (?) talking about for games was love- for Fable 2 which I never played. It sounds soft but it applies to all 'immersive' games, especially Skyrim. With the companions guild if you can make the player care for a mortal companion (was done in FNV slightly) you need only write half the story, the rest is told by the player. Should your companion die you experience a whole different set of emotions. I was discussing with MizerD that if Beth can pull off making the player care for characters (especiallly considering lethal dragons I hope) along with their death that is timed right, Beth will have reached a whole new level of RPG. Doing a questline for Boone so he wears a slightly different outfit is different to an all out rage when your companion-s that you care for are slaughtered by a passing dragon. If a game can make you reach emotions like these was pretty much Peters point but given reviews and playing fable 3 it hasn't been reached yet.

I couldn't have put it any better ^_^ .. in NV the companions didn't die so I wasn't as driven as I could have been.. when they got knocked out I raged and went on the attack for revenge xD .. I remember when in Fable 2 or 3 my child was taken from me by those goblin things and had to go into a cave to save him .. I was extremely driven even though the plot of the quest wasn't very deep and I didn't feel like my spouse cared as much as I did .. it drove me to want to stomp some goblins :O

Edited by jedimembrain