Speech minigames

Jermungand

Every NPC was given different intrests and there was a decent dating sim going on with it "though it wasn't put together well" the combat was pretty rewarding.. you upgraded hat you used and it changed your physical appearance based on it .. scars when you died .. muscle when you built up your strangth .. tall from building your agility .. evil evil looking when you did bad things .. got fat when you ate to much .. doing good made you look more angel like .. willpower caused you to grow will lines on your skin .. NPCs were very simple and it ould have been nice if they made some more complex characters in the mix but they all had a smidge of personality "unlike most RPGs where they are just hallow shells" .. you could have a family .. you could decorate your house and even display trophies .. you could buy multiple houses and rent them out to become a land lord .. I could keep going on and on but Fable had some wonderful immersive idea .. if that wasn't your thing then oh well but I really liked the simulation aspects of the game .. mixed with the realism of TES and their ambient AI then I could see an amazing "role playing" expiriance.

I feel like those would be good, in a game that didn't try to hit me over the head with it all the time. I feel like the guys that made the Fable games tried way too hard to sell you on their simulated stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the freedom and realism to personalize my character and do all sorts of things, but these are things that should be allowed more closely in tandem with the game world. In the first Fable game, every town felt like it was being given over to being your personal wardrobe and carnival prize fair. The entire game was like an advertisement for itself.

Now in TES, it would be amazing if they provided all sorts of immersive opportunities, but did it in a way that's meaningful, not recreate the game as a venue just for you to spend hours of your time in the most superficial and silly way possible. When designers do THAT, it immediately loses it's immersiveness, because it feels fake and packaged.

That's my take on Fable. I never played the second one, maybe it was better.

Edited by Jermungand

Back to the subject: Bartering. I was under the impression that they were taking out the slider, and adjusting prices to automatically match your Speech skill. So how do you raise the skill within the context of bartering?

By selling and buying items, perhaps? :psyduck:

Back to the subject: Bartering. I was under the impression that they were taking out the slider, and adjusting prices to automatically match your Speech skill. So how do you raise the skill within the context of bartering?

By selling and buying items, perhaps? :psyduck:

That, then, would produce the same issue as was mentioned before: Speech would increase even for characters that didn't want to be good at it. Every character is going to buy and sell stuff at some point, so that would force characters to level through Speech.

Perhaps there's an additional option similar to the slider, but it just has a percentage chance to reduce/increase the price based on Speech skill? A "Barter" button? :psyduck: