Brainstorming getting a Flail to work

jamochawoke

However I really hope we can avoid them by using the setmodelpath solution I mentioned before.

Of course you are right. But I just couldn't resist doing it to see how it might look.:laugh: Scripting the holstered position should be the way we go, and with that in mind I have taken the flail in the holstered position and used make real modifier to freeze it in place and rigged it to the pelvis bone. So we will just swap it in there with script.:smile:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, like I said I am not a scripter, but I have fumbled my way through the basic scripts. The swapping out of the meshes works well. The holstered weapon is now scripted and I can see that it really was a silly idea to think that I could have animated it. No way could I have animated it to look as good as it now does in the Idle, Walking, Running, Turning, Jumping, and all the other animations that are now covered.:) Edited by RGMage2

RGM, you should enclose code pieces with spoiler tags.

It's probably hard to update the weapon in the inventory menu with standard means (if you didn't succeed). With OBSE I can think of 2 ways to do it: either call "player.Update3D", or close&re-open the inventory menu (which of course might break any used UI changing mod)

The "disable TestFlailDown" in your weapon script is incorrect. disable does not have a parameter, and a base object would be wrong anyway. But probably the parameter is simply ignored here.

But the disable/placeatme pair should be avoided by all means (especially when this is your favorite weapon :) ). There would be a lot of criticism, and many/most people would refuse to use the mod. However, in the meantime I think it can be done without placeatme, and without OBSE.

Can you make the ground weapon mesh (TestFlailDown) so it can be used both as world object, and in "shethed position" when equipped?. Then you can keep this weapon up to the point where the character goes into alert position. At this moment the ground weapon has to be removed (not disabled), and replaced by additem/equipitem for both dummy flail weapon and flail armor. The opposite, as soon as the goes to non-alert. Probably you also have to prevent dropping the dummy flail. Maybe the first few keys of the equip animation will be repeated, but that shouldn't be bad.

With that we can also more easily achieve that a flail is used by an NPC.

BTW, I made a new 1st person skeleton only by using NifSkope). I'm not sure you can even make a new skeleton in Blender. There are so many animation things that Blender import/export can't do, I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to skeletons.

@fore Your advice is always appreciated.:) I have the script more or less done now.

The ground item is taken into inventory and mimics the flail.

The ground item OnEquip adds and equips the flail.

The flail OnAdd removes the ground item.

The flail on UnEquip adds the ground item.

The ground item OnAdd removes the flail

At this point the ground item is again mimicking the flail and can be dropped like any other weapon.

So just 2 minor glitches remain. The unequipping visual in menu mode, which I actually thought I had working when I first started this, so I will go back to the beginning and see if it was something I added that stopped it from working.

The last glitch is while dropping when equipped.. The first attempt to drop it will fail as the flail unequips and adds the ground item. The second attempt will succeed. I don't think this is a big issue

I will work on making it usable for an NPC.:)

RGMage2, it's great that things get into shape. :thumbsup:

And the "dropping issue" isn't a problem at all. When does it happen that an equipped weapon will be dropped? I think it won't be easy to implement, and it's not even worth thinking about.

• 2 weeks later...

To All Readers of this thread: ..............

All what we have discussed here is now released in 2 mods:

RGMs Real Flails and Chain Maces, and

NoMaaM Flail Animations

As I can truly assert, RGMage2's weapons are great looking, and work perfect.

The animations still have a few flaws, and I still need to do many more. But we both wanted to release this stuff, so you folks have something ahead of Skyrim.

Thank you for your interest in this thread. :)

And thaks to you, jamochawoke. Without you starting this thread, we probably had never made these mods.