Damaged FalloutNV Files Recovery

ozziefire

Hi All,

Whilst playing with some GameSettings using FNVEdit I got some masters messed up I think, and although I didn't alter any Vanilla files, I've found now NV just crashes on Launch just before the Ranger Menu Screen, I've turned off all mods & DLC's, tried launching without NVSE from the default launcher, deleted all the files in the menu just above the saved games, overwritten all the files in FalloutNV directory with backups I keep for these occasions and reinstalled GECK, FOMM, FNVEdit and GECK Powerup with no success, I' looking now at blanking the directory and reinstalling completely, a bit of a pain to go through, anybody out there know the magic file that remembers the stuffups after you deactivate the mods or the file I could remove to force an update / repair only?

Well it didn't save me a 7 hour download, I still ended up doing that and still had CTD with all mods turned off, I can get the game to run if I turn off Archive Invalidation in FOMM but have texture crazy on everything modded so I'm guessing it's a problem with a texture in the texture folder somewhere, any ideas how to narrow it down to which file using FNVEdit or something similar or do I just delete all my textures and reinstalll every mod?

Silly question: is Archive Invalidation part of FOMM or do I need to install it seperately as well?

Funniest part of FNVEdit is - you have to know what are you doing. If you messed up your files there is no easy way back. Either check every file's masters (if you remember what you've done) and revert to original, or just clean the mess and reinstall from the ground up. Second option is easier. Learn it the hard way.

And no, data\meshes\ and data\textures\ folders are not responsible for this mess. Just some content tries to refer to unavailable resources.

Looks like you're back to square one.

Edited by n0t0ryczny

Funniest part of FNVEdit is - you have to know what are you doing. If you messed up your files there is no easy way back. Either check every file's masters (if you remember what you've done) and revert to original, or just clean the mess and reinstall from the ground up. Second option is easier. Learn it the hard way.

And no, data\meshes\ and data\textures\ folders are not responsible for this mess. Just some content tries to refer to unavailable resources.

Looks like you're back to square one.

Yep in the end I just had to move all mods to another folder then complete reinstall NV. I think it eneded up being a music or sound file somehow got corrupted when the game crashed. as I had only modded 2 files and I deleted both of them after things went crazy and it was still gabonky, and I then copied back all my mods and it went crazy when I copied back the music and sound folders, so I just reinstalled all the mods that used them and all is good again.