If AI was created, should it have equal rights to humans?

marharth

Should AI machines have equal rights?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Equal rights or not?

Just remember, people. AI's would be created for a purpose. They are given a role to fulfill, not a life lead on its own.

True, which is the problem with it in the first place. Its just a hypothetical situation.

Then why are people calling others bigots for not agreeing with them. I bowed out of this thread because I was getting angry and didn't want to start getting snotty with people, but that's just me!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, people. AI's would be created for a purpose. They are given a role to fulfill, not a life lead on its own.

True, which is the problem with it in the first place. Its just a hypothetical situation.

Then why are people calling others bigots for not agreeing with them. I bowed out of this thread because I was getting angry and didn't want to start getting snotty with people, but that's just me!

I didn't call anyone a bigot.

As I said, its a hypothetical situation that is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I didn't call anyone a bigot.

As I said, its a hypothetical situation that is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I'm not talking about you. If I was I would have used a P. M.

For the time being it is only hypothetical, however it is likely that this is something that will occur within my (hopefully long,) lifetime. If and when that happens, it is important that humans are able to cope with another sentient "being," whether that originate from space (less likely) or by our own creation (more likely). Right now your alleged bigotry is still hypothetical too. But that's okay, people can change. ;-)

For the time being it is only hypothetical, however it is likely that this is something that will occur within my (hopefully long,) lifetime. If and when that happens, it is important that humans are able to cope with another sentient "being," whether that originate from space (less likely) or by our own creation (more likely). Right now your alleged bigotry is still hypothetical too. But that's okay, people can change. ;-)

There is no allegation. The term was posted. That is factual.

Your opinions of what is important are duly noted. My opinion is that everybody is entitled to theirs, without being attributed to something derogatory. That too is factual.

We're talking about a sentient AI, not a rogue ebay application.

That's what I am talking about anyway.

I was thinking more of the idea that it was created to simply BE sentient. not that it had any other purpose that to be some sort of thinking intelligent being. It doesn't have to be a robot arm built for making cars or some such primitive idea of AI. For all intents and purposes it could be wholly or partially organic, at the extreme end it might even have human like feelings, experience pain, fear etc. It's purely in the realm of scifi. The thread is theoretical, so why not.

First--off topic...wow...again with the name calling. Perhaps a thesaurus would be a good thing that way some of you could get your point across without using words that have such bad connotations?

Now to the topic at hand...I think and I have seen a few science shows that discuss this very thing...the ability to learn is one thing that we would look for too see if something was alive in the way we are. Another would be a sense of self. An ability to see oneself as an individual entity that has a place in the universe.

To look at something contemporary...Data on Star Trek. The questions that were raised with him were some of the ones we are asking, or should be, in this thread.

What of say....something that was given organic cells...brain cells or some stem cells? There is an experiment with some cells from a rat brain which learns to fly an airplane simulator. There is no computer input...just the cells playing this simulator and slowly getting better at it as it practices.

So...at some point I would have to answer yes to this questions. I think our definition of life is sometimes to narrow...and perhaps at times to broad. However I think these things need to be discussed as it is not far long that these things won't be hypothetical. It will be an entity looking at us and waiting for an answer.

You're right. I went to thesaurus.com and picked a synonym with a less harsh connotation. I had to dig pretty deep to find a "nice" way to describes someone who would take away rights from a sentient being because it's "different" in some way.

I call it like I see it. If I hear someone say that if they hypothetically lived in the 1800's that they would totally deprive black people of their rights, then I would tell them that hypothetically, they're racist "enthusiastic". http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/rolleyes.gif

draconix....I call them how I see them too...So don't be an ass.:thumbsup:

And I don't need a thesaurus...that is the exact word I want.

You're right. I went to thesaurus.com and picked a synonym with a less harsh connotation. I had to dig pretty deep to find a "nice" way to describes someone who would take away rights from a sentient being because it's "different" in some way.

I call it like I see it. If I hear someone say that if they hypothetically lived in the 1800's that they would totally deprive black people of their rights, then I would tell them that hypothetically, they're racist "enthusiastic". http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/rolleyes.gif

Good... I call them like I see them also, which would make someone so sure of their absolute correctness of their views hypothetically smug and arrogant. Since we are being so coy about the use of hypothetical, as if that semantic handkerchief hides the implied insult.