If AI was created, should it have equal rights to humans?

marharth

Should AI machines have equal rights?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Equal rights or not?

You can stick a 9 volt battery in a can of Campbell's soup and call it life all you want to. It is still not life.

What is your definition of life?

Mine is "an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction"

Science considers bacteria and really minor things life as well based on the scientific definition.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can stick a 9 volt battery in a can of Campbell's soup and call it life all you want to. It is still not life.

What is your definition of life?

Mine is "an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction"

Science considers bacteria and really minor things life as well based on the scientific definition.

No one is intelligent enough to define life. Science merely pokes at it like a child with a stick.

Of course a 9V battery in a can of soup is not life, the can of soup is entirely incapable of reproducing, therefore it is not life.

No one is intelligent enough to define life. Science merely pokes at it like a child with a stick.

science has already defined life. A thing is alive if it:

1) is capable of self-regulation (homeostasis)

2) is organized (e.g., cell structure, etc.)

3) is capable of metabolization, i.e., breaking down chemical matter for energy

4) is capable of growth

5) is adaptable to its surroundings, i.e., it evolves.

6) is responsive to external stimuli

7) reproduces

Edited by lukertin

Of course a 9V battery in a can of soup is not life, the can of soup is entirely incapable of reproducing, therefore it is not life.

science has already defined life. A thing is alive if it:

1) is capable of self-regulation (homeostasis)

2) is organized (e.g., cell structure, etc.)

3) is capable of metabolization, i.e., breaking down chemical matter for energy

4) is capable of growth

5) is adaptable to its surroundings, i.e., it evolves.

6) is responsive to external stimuli

7) reproduces

Let's assume for just a moment that this definition does not accurately define this hypothetical A.I. of ours. Therefore, we can't consider it "alive" really by any meaningful definition that we have. Does it not being "alive" make a difference in how we treat it? If so, why?

Therefore, we can't consider it "alive" really by any meaningful definition that we have. Does it not being "alive" make a difference in how we treat it? If so, why?

No, it doesn't, because it is still an immortal entity capable of independent thought. But I think an AI could be classified as alive under that standard anyway.

Therefore, we can't consider it "alive" really by any meaningful definition that we have. Does it not being "alive" make a difference in how we treat it? If so, why?

No, it doesn't, because it is still an immortal entity capable of independent thought. But I think an AI could be classified as alive under that standard anyway.

I appreciate your determination here, but you left out a key sentence in my post. The part about "let's assume". I wasn't making an argument of any kind, nor saying anything about the nature of this thing and whether it is alive or not.

To put it plainly let's take Premise 1 (The hypothetical A.I. is not alive) and grant it as true. Next, let's try to find out how the truth of that premise leads us to a conclusion about how we ought to treat this thing. So

Premise 1: A.I. is not alive = true (remember this is an assumption)

Premise 2-n: ???

Conclusion: We should treat the A.I. as ????

Edited by stars2heaven

I appreciate your determination here, but you left out a key sentence in my post. The part about "let's assume". I wasn't making an argument of any kind, nor saying anything about the nature of this thing and whether it is alive or not.

To put it plainly let's take Premise 1 (The hypothetical A.I. is not alive) and grant it as true. Next, let's try to find out how the truth of that premise leads us to a conclusion about how we ought to treat this thing. So

Premise 1: A.I. is not alive = true (remember this is an assumption)

Premise 2-n: ???

Conclusion: We should treat the A.I. as ????

I am thinkin' that we need to sort out the definition of "alive" here, and just what constitutes another 'being'. If it is self-aware, does that not imply at least some form of "life"?