Is liberalism caused by a gene

kvnchrist

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I consider myself a liberal in the Classical 18th Century model of liberalism, I do not think there is a genetic predisposition to liberalism or conservativism. It is all a matter of your environment (i.e. Education, family history, who you hang out with, what form your religiosity/ or lack thereof takes. I consider the idea of a liberal gene, or a conservative gene, for that matter, to be like saying there is a toaster owner gene. Environment all the way where the liberal path vs conservative path one takes in life is concerned.

They are just guessing on this. Political ideology has more to do with upbringing and personal life experience than anything else. A lot of former liberals actually turn conservative when they get older. My father and mother were both big California hippies back in the day, now both are conservative. Edited by crimsonblade1

Me too am an old hippie (still am, mind you), but have grown a little less conservative. I believe it comes from enviroment.

I read the report. 2000 subjects is not even an entry to start research for a hint. Prober research like that needs at least 30-50.000 subjects to study over years, to look for an outcome AND a counter group of the same size to look for no outcome, to see if the other just gave a false impression.