Is liberalism caused by a gene

kvnchrist

The article that was posted was far too vague to have any meaningful debate on this subject. The term "liberal" is an often arbitrary term that can describe many different people with views that have nothing to do with one another. The article mentioned political views in particular, and this makes me even more dubious of how consistent the definition being used is.

If it is meant to describe a person who is more willing to discard traditional values then it is very difficult to tell the difference, at any given time, who is liberal and who isn't. A person who is at one point ready to discard traditional values will later defend those newer, more recently established, values that they helped to establish. Liberals of this sort often find themselves being described as conservative later on.

If it means being more open to certain political or social views then it is truly arbitrary. Such things change all the time and each individual subject usually has little to do with the other. E.g. gay marriage and abortion.

In order to have any meaningful debate about the nature and possible meaning of the research there really should be a much better explanation for what is actually being studied here.

Edited by stars2heaven

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a fair amount about genetics, so i'll offer a scientifical, non-political perspective on the article.

I can commend the attempts of pusuing some notable evidence of interactions between innate biology and phenotypical traits, but a more intricate approach is needed to provide solid evidence.

This protein-transcription/dual-receptor gene is not unique enough to substantiate into a behavioral phenotype so easily. One reason for this is the gigantic species diversity of which it is present. If this sole gene can code for "liberalism" for us.. it can also code for liberalism in, say, a mouse.. or a pheasant.

Also note that they refer to a variant of this gene. Other research shows that there are multiple polymorphants of this gene, some of which have shown to have no behavioral alteration; others of which have been noted to increase likelihood of problems such as hyperactivity/schizophrenia (but by no means conclude)

My father, who was a former Liberal, big left wing guy told me the main flaw in that ideology, is the people are completely emotion driven, and often don't think very logically, and form opinions based on emotion instead of facts, logic and common sense. Using things like playing the frustrations of the poor and using it as a means of class warfare is one means of emotion based politics, and ideology. But in the real world it doesn't make a lot of sense seeing as how the rich are the ones hiring people and creating jobs. The tree huggers are 100% emotion driven people, there is no logic or common sense at all behind their actions or agenda.

They are? Really? Where? What country? Certainly not here in the states. SMALL business is what really drives the american economy. Big business just has more money to buy politicians.

Why is it that every now and then someone comes along and bumps age old dead topics p.p

Not your fault HeyYou, but the guy before you bumped like six old topics.

If this is going to stay alive I guess I will post. People think that everyone who is rich owns a large businesses. Their logic is that since rich people own businesses, their businesses hire people. So if you help the rich people... They will hire more people?

Something like that.

Edited by marharth

To me, liberalism concerns are the same as conservative concerns. They only look at things through separate lenses. Both want everybody to succeed. Liberals see things as more aof a collective effort and conservatives are more into personal individual effort. The main thing that screws everybody up is the governments ineffectual attempts at controlling itself and the polacies that come from it. Waste fraud, abuse, graft, and corruption has made what once was very well meaning ideals into a cesspool of waste and the partisans are stirring the pot, hoping that their party floats to the top every election cycle.

This left, right, conservative, liberal fight is just the politicians way of keeping us occupied with infighting, while they steal our rights, liberties and our money away from us. We are all Americans and the only true enemies are the ones that pit ourselves against each other. We become exhausted and they become more powerful. When we finally stop and realyze this, is when the politicians begin to work for us instead of working on us. If you get my drift.

To marharth, who said i "just bumped six old topics" i don't really think that's accurate. I didn't just say.. "bump dis ole stuff up". I tried to contribute some thing to the discussion. They were actually quite recent on the debate pages, also.. they just aren't "todays news" because apparently people don't use the debate forums much here. Haha.

Modern liberalism is a Jewish intellectual movement designed to destroy prosperous civilizations, mainly by propagandizing the public into supporting multiculturalism. The more blacks and Hispanics that flood America and European nations, the faster the societies will degenerate. The touting of diversity is Israeli propaganda designed to cause non-optimal breeding practices among whites, ensuring we breed with races of inferior intellect. It's covert genocide of the white European race. There is no gene responsible for predisposing you to an idiotic political ideology.