Call me crazy but I want restrictions

NeclordX

Well, seing how the system works this isn't probably at all, but I would like some restrictions.

I'll explain, one thing I find someway "boring" in the previous game is that after certain point your character is not "your character" any more, it becomes some kind of "god", when you finished the game after 300 hours it doesn't matter wich class you begin with, you have max level, every perk in 100, learned every spell in the game and...you'll are on the top of all guilds...

What makes Elder of the scrolls so great is that big world. But you can complete all that big world in a single long gameplay.

I think would be nice if you had this big world at your disposal but you could only do a part of it in each gameplay.

For example, restricting the perks depending of the class. For example, it doesn't matter how high your level is or how hard you train, your warrior never would become a mage. Or your mage would never have more than 50 strengh points.

Also, some restrictions should be applied to the game itself. For example, if you become a memer of the fighters guild you can't join mages guild or viceversa. Some quests block others, etc.

The world would be big anyway, but when you choose certain paths would close other ones. And when you make a character from a certain class you'll remain that class forever. That way would incite the replay value. And would make your adventure more like and adventure and less "divine"

I get your point. But I like the fact that I can become a mage whenever I want to! If I've spent a month with my character, being a stealth archer, thinking, I want to try out being a mage. Instead of making a completely new character you can basically switch your perks to your liking and enjoy being a mage. That's the thing I like about Skyrim.

Limiting factions sort of makes sense. It's a bit like in Fallout NV where you have to choose which side in the conflict to help.

Limitations in skills however, is something I would not like to see. The way it is now you can restart if you want to or you can keep going. Why limit the players options and force a restart?

In real life a sprinter can change into a bodybuilder, a banker into a scientist, a criminal into a law-abiding citizen, so why not in a game too?

My main arument against this is that it's against the flavour of Skyrim, where you can be who you want and go where you want. Limiting what you can do simultaneously ultimately limits your ability to make a character that is unique. Skyrim is designed so that you don't have to worry about your class because you just get on and play, whereas these limitations are going back to the old Oblivion days where you spent 30 mins decided what birthsign to have.

If you want limitations just do them yourself in a roleplaying way, by choosing not to become part of multiple guilds or only using magic. Meanwhile the rest of us will enjoy the freedom that Skyim will offer us: I will be a battlemage thief who tries to do the right thing but who is occasionally selfish, but after 50 hours I might want to play a different role without having to start a new character and redo all the quests.

Role-playing is what makes the game fun, and the role you want to play doesn't need the game to be changed as long as you choose exactly how your player progresses. We all have things we won't do with a certain character, but that doesn't mean we should stop someone else from doing it.

Edited by Denizen

Realistically all it will do is make everyone play a Mage/warrior/thief hybrid just like we did in Oblivion. You could do the exact same thing in oblivion and just switch skills, all it meant was that those skills would raise a bit slower. In fact thanks to oblivion's broken leveling system you were actually more likely to become stronger if you switched to just leveling non major skills. Pretending that Skyrim is some new advance is incorrect in my opinion.

Allowing that is another nail in the coffin of the Elderscrolls being an RPG series by the way. It's called a choice and it is meant to have a consequence. What's wrong spending 30 minutes deciding what birth sign to choose (not that it had any actual effect upon the outcome of the game anyway).

not to bash the op .. I get what your saying but thats sorta thing whole point of TES .. be what you want and do what you want .. I'm sure since your here you like TES anyways but if that is to much of a problem then you might wanna try another series cause that ain't changing.

The Stormcloaks and the Imperial Legion are joinable..since they fight each other I highly doubt that you will be able to join both of them. So at least in this way there are some restrictions that give us some replay value.

I leave the other points for you to discuss...

if you want limitations, limit yourself. if you dont want to be leader of all guild, only join one.

thats what im going to do, i dont want to stop other people having their fun by doing everything.

if you limit the game, everyone has to abide by those limits. if you dont limit it, some people can limit themselves if they choose.

I see the point of most of you are "the fun thing is that you can become whatever you want". My point is...you don't become what you want, you become...everything, I mean, you don't begin as a thief then become an spellcaster. You become a thief who is a master spellcaster then with time you are the king of thief, the most powerful warrior and the avatar of magic. For me that isn't too much different to play a game with infinite lifes ;D

Have lot of customize options, the more better is fun, but I still think some restrictios are required.

Someone said "In real life a sprinter can change into a bodybuilder, a banker into a scientist". Yeah, but when the sprinter becomes a bodybuilder he can't run as fast as before, and after 15 years working as a scientist, the banker probably forgot everything about investment fund.

I think an rpg means to make choices, to decide, if you have to "roleplay" yourself instead of the game...something is not right, IMHO

Edited by NeclordX