FO3 suddenly won't start

Argol

so, 2 days ago I was playing FO3 as happy as can be. today when I tried to launch it today I noticed FOSE wasn't starting properly.

I decided to check to see if the game worked and too my surprise it didn't. I realized I didn't have the disc in but I have played it every day this past week without the disc in as I later discovered.

putting the disc in gives me the launcher but it asks me to install the game instead of play. a quick check of my data files confirms everything is still there. so I have no idea what has gone wrong.

Have you recently used any utilities to "clean" the Windows registry? If so, they're a bad idea to use, and could have caused your issue.

The other possibilities I can think of are something else messing with the registry, like malware or your hard drive having bad sectors (it could be failing - use the UBCD to run the appropriate utility for your hard drive to check & fix if possible, Windows chkdsk isn't thorough enough to be sure).

Try using a system restore point from when it was working fine (& running a thorough virus scan), failing that, do a repair install of Windows (Google for instructions for your version of Windows). You might still need to remove Fallout 3 manually before re-installing.

Have you recently used any utilities to "clean" the Windows registry? If so, they're a bad idea to use, and could have caused your issue.

The other possibilities I can think of are something else messing with the registry, like malware or your hard drive having bad sectors (it could be failing - use the UBCD to run the appropriate utility for your hard drive to check & fix if possible, Windows chkdsk isn't thorough enough to be sure).

Try using a system restore point from when it was working fine (& running a thorough virus scan), failing that, do a repair install of Windows (Google for instructions for your version of Windows). You might still need to remove Fallout 3 manually before re-installing.

Of course Advanced system care strikes again >.>

Of course Advanced system care strikes again >.>

Ouch. If you backed up the registry with that program before "cleaning" it, it should let you restore it from the backup.

Advanced system care is a little over aggressive in it's cleaning. Registry cleaning does not have to be done on a regular basis as they claim. Only clean the registry when you think there is a problem - for example to clean out the orphaned registry entries that Beth games like to leave behind when they are uninstalled. :rolleyes:

A lot of registry cleaners will remove things like passwords, links and shortcuts to files in the cloud or on usb sticks and other removable content that are not plugged in and any entry that does not have a file referencing it at that time. However, many also have an exception list of things not to remove that you must manually update. By updating that list, the cleaner will not bother those entries.

Again, as iFSS said above - be sure to back up the registry before cleaning. Some registry cleaners do this automatically and it will take just one click to roll it back to the working condition. :thumbsup: