So I wasted hours at modding and the game doesn't even work

Distrance

As long as the archive has the information in the same data structure as the game, IE.... data\textures or data\meshes etc then using OBMM without a script should work. If you are talking about a couple of the FCOM mods, like MMM, there are OMOD scripts available to download with instructions on how to create the OMOD using them in the mods section of the nexus.

As far as manually installing, I usually extract archives to a folder on my desktop, open the data folder in the extracted files and copy everything there. Then I open the data folder in Oblivion and paste the files inside telling windows to overwrite all files and merge the folders. You could also copy the data folder itself from the extracted mod and then paste into the oblivion directory instead of the data directory. The only time you will run into issues is when there are several options for a single mod such as you run into for some of the FCOM mods.

One other thing that is important. When you run BOSS and it opens the web page to show the results, pay attention to what it tells you in there. If there are errors, it will highlight them in red. Follow what is said in that paragraph to remove the error. This is usually a description of a mod that is active that needs to be deleted due to it being part of the FCOM install already.

Edited by Keirgarth

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, if i load a mod that is not OBMM ready and thus doesn't contain conversion data, can I still use OBMM to install the archive through Create => Add Archive? Cause that's what I did so I was wondering if that broke the game.

Anyway I think I'm just gonna reinstall all mods as soon as I receive a reply whether using OBMM is okay (manual installation was so annoying..).

And about '' "AT THIS POINT I TURN OFF ALL MODS '' part.. When do I need to do this? And what do I need to do with the archive invalidation and when?

You can use OBMM to install the archive through Create => Add Archive.

That didn't break your game I'm certain of it.

just make sure the content within the archive is in this order when you make the OMOD

.esp (the plugin file)

Meshes folder

Textures folder

Sound folder

[Other folders]

Of course read the readme provided in the mod package for installation instrucitons

Darnified UI and a couple of other mods in your list (including mods intergral to FCOM - such as Francesco's and OOO) come with OBMM install scripts, which provide you with options when you install the created omods.

Its possible that since you didn't use OBMM some options were left out/options not required were added, and the resulting conflict is causing a CTD when you start a new game.

The turning off all mods part is done as the last step of the fcom install. I.e you make omods, install omods, use BOSS, build bash patch, turn every thing off (including Bashed patch in Wyre bash (uncheck the box besides the plugin name)

look over step 49 of the 50 steps to crash free fcom install,

and also the comments page of the fcom final save.

However like I said using the fcom final save allows you to bypass this and only do the (activate one/three mods, start game, load, save, exit) sequence for mods not covered/required by fcom (like weather/clothing/landscape etc)

When installing with OBMM,

install archive invalidation invalidated, (this is a one time thing, it'll have texture replacers working properly)

then darnified UI

run the game using just these two.

(if you're already installed qarls texture pack using OBMM, don't deactivate its omod, just check if its running once you've installed the archive invalidation invalidate mod)

then follow the guide for the fcom install.

After you're done and have built your bash patch once, load the final save, right click it in the saves tab of wyre bash and click load masters.

This will automatically cover most mods covered by your save.

run the game to see if it works by loading the save file

now save using console in new slot

quit from console

now you can activate (one/three at a time) plugin files that are yet to be activated.

Yes, using OBMM to create OMODS is fine.

For many mods, OBSE is required and MUST be started before the game - when you use either the OBSE launcher, It launches the OBSE, then the game is launched automatically. OR the game launcher built into OBMM & Wrye Bash - each of these checks to see if OBSE is installed, and if it is starts it first.

Note that OBSE MUST be started every time you start the game.

OBMM includes archive invalidation and can be run at any time from it. If you selectthe default form of archive invalidation, it is actually run for you when you install a new mod.

OBMM does not automatically sort mods into a proper load order. You will Need BOSS for that. Then use OBMM to place any mods that BOSS doesn't recognize.

BOSS http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516

There is a difference between removing a mod and disabling a mod - OBMM makes that easy though. If you uncheck a mod in the left panel, that mod is disabled and the meshes and textures are still loaded. If you click on a mod in the right side and change the block from blue to green, that mod is removed from the game along with all textures and meshes. :thumbsup:

Oh well isn't this just damn great. Now I got vanilla oblivion and followed the instructions with FCOM. I did EVERYTHING as instructed, and now the game doesn't even launch. Worth mentioning is the fact that previously with my broken game, before all the other mods, the game DID Work with FCOM just fine.

So guess what now happens? after bashed patch is built, activated and BOSS is ran to check for any errors, and I launch the game, a black screen just flashes. It never even launches the game and i do not get error of any kind. WTF is going on?! Btw, for some reason, the bashed patch is shown in '' red '' on Wrye Bash although BOSS Does not come up with any errors.. what's up with that?

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm [CRC: 2FF840C5]
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm  [Version 4.5bSI] [CRC: 30AA69B5]
02  Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm  [Version 4.5bSI] [CRC: FEEA0D30]
03  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.34] [CRC: C09734F4]
04  Mart's Monster Mod.esm  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 5D909483]
05  FCOM_Convergence.esm  [Version 0.9.9MB3] [CRC: 8899BA8D]
06  DLCShiveringIsles.esp [CRC: 2BB84977]
07  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp [CRC: 45BD7EF9]
08  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp [CRC: 4F003DB0]
09  Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp [CRC: BEA456A9]
0A  Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp [CRC: 36DF7A6E]
++  FCOM_Francescos.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: A27190A9]
++  FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 4547AA1F]
0B  FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 60FF114D]
0C  Fran_Lv30Item_Maltz.esp [CRC: A6BC52B6]
0D  Living Economy.esp [CRC: 486C64F8]
0E  Living Economy - Items.esp [CRC: 1F0A2AB8]
0F  DLCHorseArmor.esp [CRC: BAD48E5D]
10  DLCOrrery.esp [CRC: 5BC59DB4]
11  DLCVileLair.esp [CRC: 74D2CA6F]
12  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp [CRC: CB413740]
13  DLCSpellTomes.esp [CRC: 312156F8]
14  DLCThievesDen.esp [CRC: 05DB8CCC]
15  Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp [CRC: DE136AF6]
16  Cheat Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp [CRC: 9D227096]
17  FCOM_BobsArmory.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 5A017B08]
18  Oblivion WarCry EV.esp  [Version 1.09] [CRC: 4F32343B]
19  FCOM_WarCry.esp  [Version 0.9.9MB3] [CRC: 3D5C75AA]
1A  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.34] [CRC: AD2A2935]
++  OOO-Water_Weeds.esp  [Version 1.33] [CRC: 5FD2D492]
1B  FCOM_Convergence.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3] [CRC: 711706C0]
1C  FCOM_RealSwords.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: AD5EC654]
++  FCOM_SpawnRatesReduced.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3] [CRC: 46D3EB45]
++  FCOM_SpawnRatesSlightlyReduced.esp  [Version 0.9.9MB3] [CRC: 81AD5A96]
++  FCOM_SpawnRatesStronger.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3] [CRC: 91E5DF7E]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Less Bone Loot.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 5E202813]
++  FCOM_TamrielTravelers.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: E2EB015C]
1D  OOO-WaterFish.esp  [Version 1.34] [CRC: A13730DE]
1E  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp [CRC: 7048C609]
1F  DLCFrostcrag.esp [CRC: 2A7665FB]
++  FCOM_Knights.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3] [CRC: A982ADDD]
20  Harvest [Flora].esp  [Version 3.0.0] [CRC: 93873332]
++  Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp  [Version 3.0.0] [CRC: 05003A29]
++  Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp  [Version 3.0.0] [CRC: 4C040612]
21  Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp  [Version 3.0.0] [CRC: ADFEEDB5]
22  Francesco's 10 days respawn time - 1-20 day lenght rescale.esp [CRC: E9689D83]
23  Bashed Patch, 0.esp [CRC: 54A016D6]
----> MISSING MASTER: Knights.esp

^Above fixed. It seems that FCOM_Knights was causing the game to crash. Built the patch again without it, and it works now. The question is, am I missing out on something without that file, and why does it even cause it to crash when it didn't previously? <.<

Am I missing something here? I don't see the DLC for knights in your mod list. Have you installed it?

Yes indeed its the Knights of the Nine DLC that's missing. Hence the Fcom knights plugin (which requires the plugin from the DLC to run) is killing the game before launching. (i.e its missing its master file)

Install the DLC and then try with the Fcom knights plugin activated.

Also, install the 4 gb patch, streamline 3.0 and Windom Earles crash prevention system.

Depending on your computer config

Install OBGE liquid water, OBGE ver 3.0.1 (required by liquid water) and its shader package

Also download the wonderful fearsome magicka mod and Addonay's elven weaponry (NPC leveled list version).

Download Tamriel Travelers (they'll sell you fcom stuff that usually quite rare.

For more realistic gameplay (if that is your taste), there's Realistic thirst, hunger and sleep extended mods.

For something equivalent to deadly reflex for melee, download duke patricks combat archery (for archery)

download Fearsome Magicka and Supreme Magicka.

download Sounds of Cyrodil

add these first (get the game stabilized) then I'll tell you some more great mods.

Also for deadly reflex there is a ini config that allows for more criticals (decapitations, burn and electrocute, slit throats etc) I'll let you know soon enough.

A few tips for Fcom gameplay.

MMM action (and variety of creature & weapon spawns) usually starts around level 25.

Dungeons are not what they seem anymore. You'll encounter horrors far beyond your level so train hard in the arena before venturing therein for loot

Stick to the road, (Ignore what Gandalf told frodo) when travelling to a particular destination.

Look out for gangs of bandits. When you see one on the road, its likely that 5 others are waiting in the bush.

When you get to around level 25 and up (I think) look out for reavers (MMM's murderers). These psycho's will chase you all over the map with all kinds of menacing weaponry. They even kill other monsters. (you can use the MMM less reavers plugin to solve this)

More problems .. hooray!

Alright, so I've been installing mods one by one and it has yet to crash.. Not many mods left from my original setup so I should soon run into whatever was causing it (or I had just fked up the installation before as i did it manually..). Anyway, I got a problem with Liquid Water ... => It requires OBGE Core to be installed, but when I install it either manually or through OBMM, the game menus disappear completely. Bethesda Softworks logo appears, the Loading screen never does, and when the actual main menu comes up, no buttons or anything is there. I can still click on where the buttons should be at so it seems to be some weird graphical glitch. I really want to use Liquid Water though, so any insight on this?

You asked about my specs so .. : i5 2500K 3.3Ghz (I really need to overclock this later..), GTX580 and 16GB 1600mhz ram. Do I really need that 4gb patch thingy? What does it even do?

I presume you are running windows 64bit, correct? I find no 4 gig patch at the nexus that search comes up with, and if it is for windows, it would only apply to OS's that are 32bit rather than 64bit as 64bit windows can address more than 4 gigs of ram.

I presume you are running windows 64bit, correct? I find no 4 gig patch at the nexus that search comes up with, and if it is for windows, it would only apply to OS's that are 32bit rather than 64bit as 64bit windows can address more than 4 gigs of ram.

You would need the 4gb patch for Oblivion.exe to recognize atleast 4gb ram. It runs more stable this way.

"tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms."

So yes its for a 64bit OS.

Here is the link to download it

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

For OBGE v3.0.1 and liquid water, the glitch you mentioned is quite unusual (OBGE v3 begins in game, i.e when you start a game after the menu,

in any case how have you installed OBGE v3.0.1? Also worth mentioning that there is a dll supplied in the extras folder, put that in the directory where the Oblivion.exe is, if that doesn't work put it besides the OBGEv2.dll file (oblivion -> data -> Obse -> plugins)

And I'm certain its not having installed the knights of the nine DLC that caused the previous crash.

P.S If I may ask, since you said you have 16gb of RAM, that's considerably high, are you a software developer/game developer?