First character advice/what's new?

CalibanX

Like the rest of the fans, I've been gobbling up every video & article on Skyrim that I can find. I see that there's tons of improvements all across the board to virtual every aspect of the game and I'm very excited about it.

However, I'm still a little murky about what exactly is new for the 3 main character types (fighter/magic/stealth). So, when I try to think of what I want my first character to be like, I keep coming up with variations that I'd already done in Oblivion. Once I know what kind of character I want to try it will be easier for me to then pick the race.

I see that fighters get dual-wield now which is new. It looks like you get force/TK powers in magic (what branch of magic is that?) and I guess stealth players get dagger instakill stealth moves of some sort? Is this right? What else am I missing?

So, I think I want to play a character that will feel the most different from combinations that were available in Oblivion. Any recommendations? Thanx!

However, I'm still a little murky about what exactly is new for the 3 main character types (fighter/magic/stealth).

Magic is equipped just like a weapon, instead of just pressing 'c' in betweeen attacks in Oblivion. This will make magic into a proper class instead of just 'that thing you do in between attacks'. Stealth is more than just attack bonuses, you will get stealth kill animations. Read the combat section of the thread called 'Skyrim Information' on this forum and you will see that combat is more than just dual wielding (which any character can do, not just combat classes).

I would suggest,... nothing,.. because it'll be hard to make a bad character with how the new system works... >.>

besides,... you'd be hard pressed to find a combat method vastly different than what you coud do in oblivion... its 'mostly' the same, just handled better, prettier, and simplier.

I guess I'm also trying to imagine how these new mechanics will work out in play. For instance, if I want to go with Two-Handed and Restoration skills. I'm assuming that in this new system in order to heal myself I'd have to: 1 hit a button to sheathe my two handed weapon. 2 hit a button to pause game. 3 click on bookmarks. 4 equip with heal spell. 5 cast heal spell. 6 unsheathe two handed weapon. If this is so, this seems like it would be a very cumbersome way to have to heal one's self, especially during battle. Which means I might not want to pick Two Handed or Archery with any magic skills. I get how equipping with a spell in one hand is great for One-Handed fighters, but i fear it might be a problem for archers and two-handers. Then again, maybe two-handers will be able to equip and unequip spells quickly and easily. I just don't know yet so I'm not sure which build to go with.

I do believe there are hot keys and a system of "quick" selection that can have spells assigned to it. I think I recall being able to hot key set ups for both hands. Like pressing 1 and then having a dagger and a fire spell.

There are hotkeys so you could be fighting with your two handed sword and then just hit the '2' key to switch to a healing spell and a shield spell you are dual wielding and throw a shield on yourself and heal without having to stop running. Then hit '1' again to switch back to your two hander all without having to pause the game. You can pair that healing spell out with anything; a frost spell to slow enemies and keep them off you, a paralyze spell to stop them while you are healing, fear spell to send them running, the same healing spell dual wielded to heal much faster, or even an actual shield to block while you are healing. If you ask me it brings a sense of tactics and decision making to the game we have never seen in previous titles. Edited by NAPALM13092

However, I'm still a little murky about what exactly is new for the 3 main character types (fighter/magic/stealth).

Magic is equipped just like a weapon, instead of just pressing 'c' in betweeen attacks in Oblivion. This will make magic into a proper class instead of just 'that thing you do in between attacks'. Stealth is more than just attack bonuses, you will get stealth kill animations. Read the combat section of the thread called 'Skyrim Information' on this forum and you will see that combat is more than just dual wielding (which any character can do, not just combat classes).

I was very disappointed about Oblivion's magic system. You couldn't focus primarily on it, unless you used a staff which weren't that great to me. I always played the warrior type, or stealthy with arrows. But now with this new system in Skyrim I can finally be the wizard I always wanted to be. :thumbsup: