The Witcher

BHWolf

I tested it last weekend at a friend of mine, and I can say that I'm glad I bought Hellgate.

First off:

1. The loading times on his computer were OVER 8 minutes. I have slightly better stuff than he has, but not much.

2. It uses the Aurora Engine (I.... HATE.... AURORA.... ENGINE.....).

3. WAAAAY too large for my hard drive. :happy:

1. The loading times on his computer were OVER 8 minutes. I have slightly better stuff than he has, but not much.

First off: 2 GB Ram are keenly suggested today.. and not just for The Witcher

Then you need a regular defragmentation of your hard drive, at least monthly, better weekly. And run Scandisk or something sometimes.. Not mentioning any virus scanning..

Third: you need at least 4 GB of virtual memory and contiguous.. not fragmented!

Fourth: yes, you need a good, fast, reliable hd today. Better if the WD Caviar 10.000 rpm, but it costs! However with my 300 gb Maxtor (price around 100$, I think) I can load the Witcher in about 20 seconds. The worst is 30 seconds, I think..

Fifth: I own a nVidia 7600 256mb agp GA.. nothing excellent. And I think its cost doesn't go over 50$ atm.

Sixth: Don't exceed with the number of the savegame, please.

And you're ok!

2. It uses the Aurora Engine (I.... HATE.... AURORA.... ENGINE.....).

Methink.. too! It's the same of NWN but CDProjekt guys have done a good work around. Well, you don't have 1st person view but something very close yes.. so.

So, believe me, despite the 6gb of the dvd and the huge installation and use of hw resources The Witcher runs very well on my PC (not a workstation, it's almost 4 years old atm with some upgrades). Much better than my Oblivion of the last days, overcharged by a lot of mods..

• 2 weeks later...
.... bloody brilliant!!

Perfect game review :)

The Witcher is like a good book. I can't stop reading.

I had no problems with loading times but heared about it quite often. Seems not loading but auto save causes trouble. Think you will have an option to turn auto saves off with the next patch (announced before christmas).

Archived