21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Feature do you think will have the most potential if implemented

• Spell Deadlocks?
    • 2 Handed Deadlocks?
    • Hand to Hand Deadlocks?
    • Nonlethal K.O.s?
    • You don think the idea is applicable.

A Deadlock is...

When two opposing forces clash simultaneously, and are locked in a battle of force, Each attempting to overpower the other, and thus gain the advantage.

-

In Spells~ A Hostile Mage casts a powerful flamethrower spell in your direction.

~You cast a powerful Frost Spray in his direction

~The two spells meet in the middle, and build in power. Which ever mage runs out of magic first, will succumb to the damage of both spells.

-

-

In Mellee Combat~You and your opponent, both with 2Handed weps. power attack at the same time.

~Your blades clash mid swing, and you are given a few options

-Continue to press the attack button to attempt to win the deadlock(at a cost of your own fatigue)

-Press the jump button, and a directional key to attempt to roll out of the way (At a chance of being disarmed)

-Move forward or backward to your opponent to atempt to cause them to lose faigue faster(While closer)

*But if you lose the deadlock while being too close, there will be litle chance you will be able to roll out of harms way &

the damage you take will be increased heavily

-Who ever runs out of fatigue first will lose the Deadlock, and will have there weapon forced out of the way, and will be heavily staggered. extremely succeptable to a critical attack.

-

-

In Hand to Hand~It works as a grapple feature(Heavily used by guards to restrain you or block an exit)

~Works much like above, but is quicker.

~If the grapple comes from behind, you will be also losing Health while atempting to fend of you attacker.

~If you lose, you will be fall unconcios and be at the mercy of the victor.

*Spiders can use it to attempt to force poison into you

(if you lose, you may wake up in a spider web, and must cut youself free<Wampa scene from Star Wars>)

*Guards can use it if one gets behind you. Or if they catch up to you while fleeing

(Instead of just swinging at you backside. this will make guards much much more dengerous)

*Basicaly any creature can use it on you if---You have you back tuned to it

---Your fatigue is low

------------------

WHA DO YOU THINK?

Sounds like an OK idea for a mod, but in reality that doesn't happen too much atleast not to me. I usually am getting surprised or doing the surprising so I'm usually scrambling to recover, laying it on thick, or reloading a saved game cause I got 0wn3d.

Although a good idea, TES needs fast paced combat or the whole game will grind to snails pace. TES is a largely slow-paced game in that the majority of the time you are travelling/talking/etc it needs that 'OMG I'm getting attacked!!' moment or it may as well be turn based. An old but good example of fast and slow is Swat 4, I'm not big into the FPS but the suspense before the very fast paced combat is worthwhile. If the action is slow paced as well it makes the whole thing less of a surprise and less dramatic.

Some games have pulled the effect off pretty well- Star Wars TF Unleashed- but this was mainly against bosses. Although to add this to TES would be essentially to move the player away from the game again (which Beth have tried to avoid so it seems)--imagine everytime you fought against someone in Oblivion who had an opposite spell/weapon you was draw into their face to talk, that is pretty much how a fire against frost system would be implemented- stop the game, do mini game, fight next mage, repeat.

IMO- TES should keep slow paced story telling and faced paced combat or it may as well be another turn based RPG.

Although a good idea, TES needs fast paced combat or the whole game will grind to snails pace. TES is a largely slow-paced game in that the majority of the time you are travelling/talking/etc it needs that 'OMG I'm getting attacked!!' moment or it may as well be turn based. An old but good example of fast and slow is Swat 4, I'm not big into the FPS but the suspense before the very fast paced combat is worthwhile. If the action is slow paced as well it makes the whole thing less of a surprise and less dramatic.

Some games have pulled the effect off pretty well- Star Wars TF Unleashed- but this was mainly against bosses. Although to add this to TES would be essentially to move the player away from the game again (which Beth have tried to avoid so it seems)--imagine everytime you fought against someone in Oblivion who had an opposite spell/weapon you was draw into their face to talk, that is pretty much how a fire against frost system would be implemented- stop the game, do mini game, fight next mage, repeat.

IMO- TES should keep slow paced story telling and faced paced combat or it may as well be another turn based RPG.

Very well said. so how about instead of a minigame it just becomes when the beams cross, the two spells cancel eachother out as long as they make contact.

Removing the quicktime event feel, and just making it an aspect of combat?

-

Now with Melee based combat, i still think it should be implemented. but in the way i just explained for magic.

If two attacks of equal strength meet (or clash) then both attacks are negated. or one staggers the other <BUT THIS IS ONLY IF THE WEAPON ARCS MEET IN MIDSWING/NOT DURING EVERY SIMULTANIOUS ATTACK>

And with two handed weapons the deadlock occurs. the game does a quick 'Stat check' between the two opponents, and the one with the higher Stamina (at the time. Not in total)

will have a 60& percent chance of being the winner. So player input is not neccesary other than the option to quickly press X to roll out of it. (so in essence it does remain a quicktime event. but only if you wish to abandon it. THE ENTIRE DUATION OF THE DEADLOCK WOULD BE ROUGHLY 2 SECONDS.<just enough time for the animation to take place in which the stronger of the two staggers the loser, opening him up for a critical strike>)

I know this sounds tedious, but it helps to loosen the feel of 'traded blows' which skyrim seems to be heavy in.

-

-

AS FOR H2H....my point remains.

It is an extremely underplayed mechanic with a lot of potential.

PLUS- it gives a much more viable gameplay friendly option for npcs to USE STEALTH AGAINST THE PLAYER.

Instead of them sneaking up behind you and taking half of you health with a critical hit. have them enter an chokehold animation(h2h)

Were the player has the option to fight it by pressing The Attack Button. or Shake him off by pressing X.

The players stamina and health are both drained (stamina X2) until the player can fight him off, or shake him off.

Also opening you up for attacks by other enemies while you assailant holds you.

,Possibly it can be used by the player for human shields or hostages to deter guards.

Who ever runs out of fatigue first will lose the Deadlock

Well now I have to beat his friends with low to zero fatigue this will be fun. Also, whats stopping someone else from coming up and whacking me up side my head while I'm struggling like a retard.

Edited by amazingpaladin

Very well said. so how about instead of a minigame it just becomes when the beams cross, the two spells cancel eachother out as long as they make contact.

Removing the quicktime event feel, and just making it an aspect of combat?

-

Now with Melee based combat, i still think it should be implemented. but in the way i just explained for magic.

If two attacks of equal strength meet (or clash) then both attacks are negated. or one staggers the other <BUT THIS IS ONLY IF THE WEAPON ARCS MEET IN MIDSWING/NOT DURING EVERY SIMULTANIOUS ATTACK>

And with two handed weapons the deadlock occurs. the game does a quick 'Stat check' between the two opponents, and the one with the higher Stamina (at the time. Not in total)

will have a 60& percent chance of being the winner. So player input is not neccesary other than the option to quickly press X to roll out of it. (so in essence it does remain a quicktime event. but only if you wish to abandon it. THE ENTIRE DUATION OF THE DEADLOCK WOULD BE ROUGHLY 2 SECONDS.<just enough time for the animation to take place in which the stronger of the two staggers the loser, opening him up for a critical strike>)

I know this sounds tedious, but it helps to loosen the feel of 'traded blows' which skyrim seems to be heavy in.

-

-

AS FOR H2H....my point remains.

It is an extremely underplayed mechanic with a lot of potential.

PLUS- it gives a much more viable gameplay friendly option for npcs to USE STEALTH AGAINST THE PLAYER.

Instead of them sneaking up behind you and taking half of you health with a critical hit. have them enter an chokehold animation(h2h)

Were the player has the option to fight it by pressing The Attack Button. or Shake him off by pressing X.

The players stamina and health are both drained (stamina X2) until the player can fight him off, or shake him off.

Also opening you up for attacks by other enemies while you assailant holds you.

,Possibly it can be used by the player for human shields or hostages to deter guards.

IMO it would need to be a instantanous effect from hitting to decide who wins the dead lock. Real world sword fighters aim to end the battle within 6/7 seconds (see Chris Crudelli for the feet man), regardless of that I really don't think I could play a game where I run from place to place only to be 'locked' into a repetitive role the player cannot participate in besides with stats.

It is a good idea, and can be pulled off to benefit some games but I really do not believe a TES game would benefit from that unless it became a dynamic deadlock. It would be really hard to pull off effectively for TES though, especially Skyrim. Can you imagine that every time a dragon chomps at you, you have to go throught the 'same mouse shaking' every time the dragon does that? Magic has its own rules but the deadlock is still hard to apply in an entertaining and 'fitting' way.