I really enjoyed this post from another forum

erikface

I too think the positive changes in Skyrim far outweigh the negative. That being said, the first person's comment is still COMPLETELY true.

i agree with this statement :thumbsup:

I agree with your statement that you agree. That said, I think the first person's comment is completely true. :psyduck:

Personally... if I wanted to spend my time in a menu all game (Morrowind and Daggerfall) I would agree with the first guy... but in all honesty, Skyrim and Oblivions ability to take most of that pause-equip-cast-pause-equip-strike-pause-equip-cast crap is gone.

I loved morrowind... and I played the hell out of it. I had the numbers crunched and I could REALLY get into the spreadsheets... but when it was most fun, was with a Blk-Wht-Blk-Wht-A-B cheat (xbox)... just run around, cast and kill. No staring at numbers, no need to enchant 50 different rings to take on Ur Tower. And best of all... if you REALLY didnt belong there, the enemies would kill you in 1 hit anyways. Morrowind was a better GAME to play. It was deep, and you could count your rewards.

Daggerfall was OVERKILL- It was a board game on the screen. SOOOO many different numbers and so specific as to when they were useful that they couldnt ever be truely useful.

Oblivion- I have a harder time playing it now because the graphics are so lagged behind. But Oblivion evoked something that we havent seen in previous TES games... EMOTION. I was never connected to NPC characters in a TES game before. It was strictly business. In Oblivion, there was sacrifice, and attachment. Something that really anchored you to a questline. In that they had to take away the "strictly business" side of the spreadsheets too. If you have a knife... you can hit a person with it. PERIOD. No more swinging and having a chance even though you sneak up on the person. Likewise, spells were made "jedi" style where they were an extension of you, nothing truly "magikal" or arcane. Everything was shaped to keep you IN the game and out of the menu. But inevitably people were still swapping for the "best" equipment, rather than wearing or using what they want.

Skyrim strives for true realism. Minimizing the need to scour through countless charts and numbers that in the end are merely symbols for more abstract things you already knew. Now all the attributes are hidden in throughout the 3 major attributes and the perk trees. Skills have been cut & simplified, but then techniques have been added. Skills within skills. If you look superficially at the game Skyrim has 18 skills. But even if you were to only say each skill had 2 branches of technique (where most truly have 3 or 4) then you would have 36 skills (Which is more than Morrowind). But in reality... a person who swings a bat will be able to swing an axe and still have the same brute strength behind it. However, technique would teach how to properly make use of an axe to make it more effective, the balance, the strengths, weaknesses, speed... everything. Now sure an axe is an easy comparison, but lets talk about our block tree. Many would think you only block with a shield, but that is functional fixedness. There are 3 branches for 3 techniques. Offense, speed and defense. You bash and charge and can slow time allowing for a strong offensive use. Then there is the actual speed of your block and how quickly you can raise your shield (no doubt essential). Then there is the different types of blocking... arrows, riposte (parry), and elemental magic, each of which would require a different knowledge of how a shield works compared to how to knock someone in the face with a shield. Also on top of the new interpretation of the numbers menus they are bringing back the intensity and dedication of magic. It is knowledge that requires study and understanding, not just something that you will out of you. And they also are giving us the ability to use the armor that we want to use without feeling like its second hand. Upgrading armors and weapons lets that leather armor stay "good" longer to the point that it might even be possible to use it through the entire playing experience. Spellmaking always was paying money for an over-the-top spell... why not just SELL over-the-top spells? The "RPG" aspect is stepping away from the long drawn out spreadsheets and actually going to represent what it stands for. ROLE- be who you want, where you want, doing what you want. PLAYING- not menuing or spreadsheeting, playing. GAME- an alternate reality, where anything is possible and the player has control.

Edited by Odai

they cant keep adding .. there is a limit to how much work they can put into a game .. adding and adding to each sequal till the end of time .. they add here and their .. add more than they take out .. but they cant have everything in one game .. not only is it a ton of work but have you every played a very very heavly modded oblivion on a lower mid range pc "aka console power" .. it starts to run like s*** when you have all that stuff going on .. its time vs quality vs playability .. they cut where they feel its right. Edited by jedimembrain

Personally... if I wanted to spend my time in a menu all game (Morrowind and Daggerfall) I would agree with the first guy... but in all honesty, Skyrim and Oblivions ability to take most of that pause-equip-cast-pause-equip-strike-pause-equip-cast crap is gone.

I loved morrowind... and I played the hell out of it. I had the numbers crunched and I could REALLY get into the spreadsheets... but when it was most fun, was with a Blk-Wht-Blk-Wht-A-B cheat (xbox)... just run around, cast and kill. No staring at numbers, no need to enchant 50 different rings to take on Ur Tower. And best of all... if you REALLY didnt belong there, the enemies would kill you in 1 hit anyways. Morrowind was a better GAME to play. It was deep, and you could count your rewards.

Daggerfall was OVERKILL- It was a board game on the screen. SOOOO many different numbers and so specific as to when they were useful that they couldnt ever be truely useful.

Oblivion- I have a harder time playing it now because the graphics are so lagged behind. But Oblivion evoked something that we havent seen in previous TES games... EMOTION. I was never connected to NPC characters in a TES game before. It was strictly business. In Oblivion, there was sacrifice, and attachment. Something that really anchored you to a questline. In that they had to take away the "strictly business" side of the spreadsheets too. If you have a knife... you can hit a person with it. PERIOD. No more swinging and having a chance even though you sneak up on the person. Likewise, spells were made "jedi" style where they were an extension of you, nothing truly "magikal" or arcane. Everything was shaped to keep you IN the game and out of the menu. But inevitably people were still swapping for the "best" equipment, rather than wearing or using what they want.

Skyrim strives for true realism. Minimizing the need to scour through countless charts and numbers that in the end are merely symbols for more abstract things you already knew. Now all the attributes are hidden in throughout the 3 major attributes and the perk trees. Skills have been cut & simplified, but then techniques have been added. Skills within skills. If you look superficially at the game Skyrim has 18 skills. But even if you were to only say each skill had 2 branches of technique (where most truly have 3 or 4) then you would have 36 skills (Which is more than Morrowind). But in reality... a person who swings a bat will be able to swing an axe and still have the same brute strength behind it. However, technique would teach how to properly make use of an axe to make it more effective, the balance, the strengths, weaknesses, speed... everything. Now sure an axe is an easy comparison, but lets talk about our block tree. Many would think you only block with a shield, but that is functional fixedness. There are 3 branches for 3 techniques. Offense, speed and defense. You bash and charge and can slow time allowing for a strong offensive use. Then there is the actual speed of your block and how quickly you can raise your shield (no doubt essential). Then there is the different types of blocking... arrows, riposte (parry), and elemental magic, each of which would require a different knowledge of how a shield works compared to how to knock someone in the face with a shield. Also on top of the new interpretation of the numbers menus they are bringing back the intensity and dedication of magic. It is knowledge that requires study and understanding, not just something that you will out of you. And they also are giving us the ability to use the armor that we want to use without feeling like its second hand. Upgrading armors and weapons lets that leather armor stay "good" longer to the point that it might even be possible to use it through the entire playing experience. Spellmaking always was paying money for an over-the-top spell... why not just SELL over-the-top spells? The "RPG" aspect is stepping away from the long drawn out spreadsheets and actually going to represent what it stands for. ROLE- be who you want, where you want, doing what you want. PLAYING- not menuing or spreadsheeting, playing. GAME- an alternate reality, where anything is possible and the player has control.

i agree with this statement too. Good arguement. Good Compare and Contrast. :thumbsup: have a kudos (assuming i already didn't give you one.)

I too think the positive changes in Skyrim far outweigh the negative. That being said, the first person's comment is still COMPLETELY true.

I agree with your statement that you agree. That said, I think the first person's comment is completely true. :psyduck:

I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

love it :thumbsup: have a kudos!

edit: nevermind i already gave you one for some other post. :(

Edited by modder3434

"The worst animation in the industry"?Quite obviously never played Two Worlds 2.

What? I played that game, the animation was better to me than Oblivion, the game that was obviously referred to in the linked post.

You must be thinking of Two Worlds, the first of the two.

love it :thumbsup: have a kudos!

edit: nevermind i already gave you one for some other post. :(

My name is Todd Howard, and I approve all the above messages.

Also, kudos have now lost all meaning in your wake.