Mermaid Mod

1Prelude

It's possible, just not very probable. Doing something like this requires several things: a new skeleton, new body meshes, new textures, and new animations, and that's just for the mermaid/merman. If you want to add underwater dwellings, then you need even more meshes and textures (I'm sure you'll want new buildings), and since you'll want them varied, there would be even more. It would take several modelers years to do all the meshes, not to mention the fact that you'll still need someone to do the skeleton, textures, and animations. The animations will be the most difficult seeing as how there are only a few people who can actually do it, who all charge money and/or have too much work already.

I would imagine that the fins could simply be a pants/boots clothing item attached to a traditional NPC. (Particularly, as they would be spending all their time in the water, the existing swimming animations wouldn't move the legs apart much at all) Furthermore, I would imagine an underwater settlement would be fine with doors sticking out of underwater rocks and cave-design. (They can look like quite nice homes with the proper lighting/furniture. If they won't do, a coral-ish retex would, as far as I'm concerned, create a result no-one could complain about) Castles would be difficult, but could probably also look okay with clever use of architecture.

I would imagine that the fins could simply be a pants/boots clothing item attached to a traditional NPC. (Particularly, as they would be spending all their time in the water, the existing swimming animations wouldn't move the legs apart much at all) Furthermore, I would imagine an underwater settlement would be fine with doors sticking out of underwater rocks and cave-design. (They can look like quite nice homes with the proper lighting/furniture. If they won't do, a coral-ish retex would, as far as I'm concerned, create a result no-one could complain about) Castles would be difficult, but could probably also look okay with clever use of architecture.

There is no way to really limit an NPC to the water, they will try to default to dry land whenever possible. Additionally, pathing and packages don't really work too well under water since they'll constantly try to get near the surface, even if they have water breating. It's probably one of those AI things Bethsoft did to reduce the chance of a needed NPC of dying due to stupidity. Although it could simply be just an issue with how pathing works. At any rate, the usage of such a mod would probably be limited to one or two instances.

As for looks, yeah, you might be able to get by with just weighting a fin like pair of pants to a single leg or something, even with good weighting, it probably wouldn't look too great. Yes, while moving foward the legs don't go out to the side much, but when stationary, they do. Even if you found and riggesd special idle that didn't, it still probably wouldn't look right.

Ultimately, unless someone has a great quest already written and implemented in game that just happens to need a mermaid, such a mod really doesn't add much to the game, and would simply look bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Think of Slaughterfish. It is possible to limit an npc to water. Slaughterfish are npc's, just as enemies. They have different scripting for them which normally keeps them in water... There are the odd times when you see slaughterfish flopping about on land...

That would be funny... A mermaid flopping about on land XD

I found this on Youtube.

Watch the part where he rides the slaughterfish. If you could turn the slaughterfish into a talkable NPC that free roams the waters, that would be cool.

There are two types of actors, NPCs and creatures. Slaughterfish are the latter.

NPCs are restricted to bipedal movement, while a creature can be set to "Flies", "Biped", "Walks", "Swims", or "None", or certain combinations thereof. It might be possible to do a mermaid as a creature, but that causes difficulties (of unremembered magnitude) with setting up dialogue.

Archived