Need some help on figuring out navmeshing.

Guest Messenjah

Guest Messenjah

Ok,

So I have been working with navmeshes for a while and I seem to be having a few problems with it. From what I understand, a navmesh is used to tell the AI where it CAN go when it is in, say... in sandbox mode or attacking. However, to direct AI from one navmesh to another, you have to use map markers. Correct?

So, the way I have my cell set up, I have multiple navmeshes, I have finalized them, provided cover, and checked for errors. I do not get any errors when I save but when I exit, the GECK does crash.

The main issue however, is that when I place an NPC with an AI package, they automitically teleport to the wrong navmesh and do not follow through with their AI package behaviour. No matter where I place them in the cell, they go to a specific location.

Some of the navmeshes in my cell are elevated above, say a podium or stage (it is a strip club). For some odd reason, NPC's like to teleport to one of these podiums. I noticed that if I had the main stage separated from the floor navmesh, the NPC's would teleport there but when I connected the stairs between the floor navmesh and the main stage, the NPCs now teleport to the podium navmesh.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I've noticed a big purple marker in Gamorrah for the podium stages in the lower lobby cell but I do not know how to re-create these to tell the game that the navmesh is elevated.

Any help would be appreciated!

I would look into the AI again, but as a last resort I would redo the navmesh. if you are in an interior, I would recommend not using separate navmeshes. The only time i ever finalized was when connecting wilderness cells.

I've had the same issue with "teleporting" with some monsters in my exterior cells... I have a gas station where NPC should be safe as it's above the ground (ie: on the roof, etc) when I go inside, then come outside, sometimes the monsters have appeared on the roof with no way for this to physically happen...

Guest Messenjah
Not much to the AI packages to cause a problem, just gave it an AI package and linked it to a chair and the npc to the chair and it certainly doesn't walk over there, it moves there automatically on load. If I duplicate the NPC and link it to a chair in another cell, it works fine. In fact, I have a duplicate in the same cell and it works but the other npc will move to podium navmesh for some reason. Not really any other way I can do this with stages though. :\ How can I add a nav mesh with height properly?

Guest Messenjah
So, looking through the GECK wiki, I don't see anything to effect it. Why do I sometimes get an error, telling me you have a mesh with over some random number of triangles? I've never been able to figure out exactly what causes this, just read a tutorial once that said to do the above checks that I covered such as finalizing the navmesh.

Packages are certainly painful to use. However, you can test your navmesh without any packages. Companions also follow navmesh. Pick up a companion in game and walk around on your navmesh. If your companion suddenly stops following, or dashes around in some odd direction to catch up to you, this signals a navmesh problem.

Two common problems are:

1. Using esp instead of esm. NPCs follow navmesh much worse when it is in an esp. Use fnvedit or another tool to convert into esm before testing.

2. Having one or two navmesh points at the wrong Z location. I have occasionally snapped navmesh points to a light fixture or a corner of the ceiling instead of the floor. In geck, rotate your navmesh view so that you are looking horizontally, and check again to make sure nothing is funny looking.

I experimented extensively with navmeshes, and in particular with elevated 'island' navmeshes. The engine simply cannot handle them. If you have isolated, elevated, island like navmeshes, you will have to connect them into one navmesh. There is no other way around it.