Wrye Bash > Modcleaning > Scan for Dirty Edits

David Brasher

My old version of Wrye Bash got messed up when I installed new software, so I downloaded and installed Wrye Bash 294.2 Standalone. It has the "Scan for Dirty Edits" function I never noticed on my old version. Does this function actually work right? It seems to be too good to be true. I have never been able to catch it malfunctioning yet, but I am mighty suspicious. It operates at lightening speed and with four clicks. TES4Edit takes least ten times as long to use and probably takes nine or more clicks.

How can it process so fast?

Am I getting accurate test results that I can stand by for purposes of preparing mods for upload?

My old version of Wrye Bash got messed up when I installed new software, so I downloaded and installed Wrye Bash 294.2 Standalone. It has the "Scan for Dirty Edits" function I never noticed on my old version. Does this function actually work right? It seems to be too good to be true. I have never been able to catch it malfunctioning yet, but I am mighty suspicious. It operates at lightening speed and with four clicks. TES4Edit takes least ten times as long to use and probably takes nine or more clicks.

Am I getting accurate test results that I can stand by for purposes of preparing mods for upload?

Why not use 295?

Do a test clean and then load it up on TES4Edit and see what it says after the Wyre Clean.

There are two ways Bash determines dirty status:

1. uses BOSS's information regarding the CRCs of known dirty mods and checks the CRCs of your mods for matches.

Basically:

a. Someone scans a mod for dirty edits in TES4Edit, and finds some.

b. They report the dirty mod's CRC to the BOSS team.

c. The BOSS team add that info to the masterlist.

d. Wrye Bash uses the masterlist to tell users. BOSS does the same, using roughly the same method, when you run it.

2. It scans the mod records for ITMs and UDRs using CBash. This calculates the ITM/UDR count directly without referencing any external info. It may give slightly different values from TES4Edit, because the latter (incorrectly IMHO) lumps some other types of unnecessary but not dangerous edits in with the ITM count it gives, that are not strictly ITMs.

I can't remember which "Scan for Dirty Edits" uses, you're best off asking the Bash team directly.

Why not use 295?

Wrye Bash is the pits to install. It always gives me problems when I try to upgrade, so I just don't upgrade.

When my old copy got messed up by new software installation, I tried installing the newest version and it did not install right, so rather than banging my head against the wall, I tried a different version, which was "294.2 Standalone." It installed perfectly on the first try, so there is no need for me to ever upgrade again unless something happens to my copy again, or something unforeseen occurs.

I never use most of Wrye Bash's features and the ones I do use are functioning alright, so I am perfectly content with the version I have.

Edited by David Brasher

Why not use 295?

Wrye Bash is the pits to install. It always gives me problems when I try to upgrade, so I just don't upgrade.

When my old copy got messed up by new software installation, I tried installing the newest version and it did not install right, so rather than banging my head against the wall, I tried a different version, which was "294.2 Standalone." It installed perfectly on the first try, so there is no need for me to ever upgrade again unless something happens to my copy again, or something unforeseen occurs.

I never use most of Wrye Bash's features and the ones I do use are functioning alright, so I am perfectly content with the version I have.

Hmm, that's interesting. I just upgraded from 291 to 295 myself, but I remember 291 being a pain for some reason. 295 went pretty smoothly for me this time.

I guess I'm also one of the rare few left that stick with OBMM still. I only use WB for the patch and to attach a master to one particular mod of mine.