Facing the Future

TroloWiseEared

In all honesty...this was the most dissapointing interview i have ever seen.That interviewer, and the pace of the show, and the fact that it was on Spike all just screamed one thing to me...

Hack N Slash.

The Elder Scrolls truly skyrocketed with Oblivion's release as to the fact it was available to both PC and Consoles for the first time <Morrowind=xbox only>. Casual and dedicated gamers alike. I too only jumped into TES during Oblivion for the PS3 when my best friend let me Exit the sewers myself...I walked up into The Imperial city and, ignoring my friend's request to "Kill em all" i simply tuned him out and walked...just walked and listened to the mesmerising music and just the feel that i was in a World, rather than a game.

Well, i played it side by side with my friend...& i noticed something truly awful.when asked about The Elder Scrolls... EVERYONE I talked to only appreciated the game for the combat.They said to me "i couldnt wait for Emperor Uriel/Lucien/Valen Dreth/Mankar camoran to stop talking so i could kill em."

everyone simply seemed to approach TES with that Call of Duty level of maturity.Only wanting blood and mayhem.

Now seeing skyrim....That seems to be what they are showing off.Blood and Mayhem. The Target Demographic has changed.

TES has turned from a Subtly Poetic, Narrative world to this Combat ruled, immature, graphically uphauled,,, Casual appealing tragedy.

-

Iv seen this happen before with My favorite game Assassins Creed. The first one tanked because people wanted more blood & action and less talking.

So The makers appeased the crowd and filled the new game with Sex, Blood, Heroes, Action, Immaturity, Villains and novice dialogue.

The beautiful story was rewritten, The Philosophy was burned down and the game became...one of the greatest commercial succeses of all time in gaming history.

That story formed my ethical codes and beliefs, it changed my goals in life and redesigned my perspective.

What do you beleive Skyrim Will do for you?

-

I would never blame Bethesda, I Blame you childish fans who wished with closed minds for childish gifts.

-------------------

..........were was this? It was all lost when writers & philosophers fell down and gave in to weaker minds

It's not up to you but up to Bethesda to do whatever they want with their game, if they want more sales,

they'll make a game for it, I know they added some stuff for "casuals" but still the storyline looks sharp

and a good continuation to TES IV; Oblivion.

The dialogues they've shown us are also pretty well made, Todd Howard even added that with these

"more than ever" prepared voice actors, the story would be just as amazing if not more than the previous

games they have released in the Elders Scrolls series; 60 000 lines of text on top of that, that's more than

Oblivion, right?

Edit: your point is right though, have you seen the crowd when they showed the first gameplay footage?

everyone was like KILL THE DOGS KILL THAT KILL THE CHILDREN, that wasn't even funny, oh well.

Nothing can be as close as idiotic as a crowd though, lol.

Edited by ventrilol

Trolo- The thing with Beth games such as TES and Fallout is that you can play how you want, that is the main creative influence for what they do when developing. So some people will just want to run around killing stuff but then others will get the most out of the game and roleplay it.... I understand what you're saying that if Beth is going to aim and draw a wider audience by making it hack and slash it would be bad news for people who love TES for being an RPG. It seems very unlikely because the last 3 RPG games they have put a lot of effort into have gone GOTY, that's what they want to create an epic game that people will play for years. I think they will leave the mindless games with naff DLC to EA.

I wouldn't get all worked up about this. How ever Bethesda wants to sell the game is a-okay with me. They have made it pretty clear that they're whole approach to gaming is the "do what ever you want" sandbox model. That's their defining characteristic. It's what separates their product from their competitors and they know it. They're not going to abandon that anymore than Burger King is going to abandon selling burgers.

Yes there are those who like to kill everything in the game. I don't understand the motivation to want to do that myself. But if appealing to those casual consumers makes Skyrim GOTY then as a fan, to me that means that I can expect increasingly better product from the company. Despite any bugs or flaws or changes Skyrim has, I have no doubt it will be a totally immersive fantasy world experience that will have massive replay value for years. Which is what, I think, the majority of the fans want most.

The first Assassin's creed was rubbish because every mission was identical and there were no side quests.

To be fair, yes it had faults but it was still succesful enough to not be binned by the company.

Thats pretty much true with TES as well, Oblivion had many frustrating bugs or gameplay elements but it was there most successful one. So far.

I appreciated reading your post Trolo. But my opinion is that Bethesda basically know that their fans know what the game truly contains. I think they have focused more on the combat during the interviews and videos so that the new fans (aka those who like gore and violence) will be able to get some sort of interest. We all know that the game will be more developed than Oblivion in every way possible, personally I see Skyrim like a more violent Oblivion with a rougher culture.

If you put aside the thoughts on the violence and the gore, we know that the game will include all the factions, a well written storyline and great AI. The only thing that basically is new is the rawer nature of Skyrim, in my opinion.

Edited by hejpadig

Wow...i am utterly & truly amazed.

I was genuilly expecting a heated, argumentive string of responses, to the point which i was slightly dreading checking back on his discussion.

But you have all responded intuitively and quite nicely, recognising and evaluating my points and creating very knowledgfull and convinceing responses.

If You are the Fanbase that plays this game, then that gives me enough hope. :thumbsup:

P.S.(Except for you Mikedepreston.....jerkface :happy: )

Here's some more hope for you Trolo:

If you wanted to advertise Skyrim for it's depth as an RPG, how exactly would you do that with video footage?

There's no way they could have advertised the complex side of the game with footage. Try, and think of a way to communicate your expectations through this medium. You won't get very far.

Video footage is only as good as the stuff of interest you can fit inside it. The better part of RPGs are progression, story, freedom, and a slough of other things that can, in no way, be revealed in a medley of video clips. These sort of previews are too small in scope.

The same goes for preview footage they did for Morrowind.

Edited by Jermungand