Facing the Future

TroloWiseEared

Wow...i am utterly & truly amazed.

I was genuilly expecting a heated, argumentive string of responses, to the point which i was slightly dreading checking back on his discussion.

But you have all responded intuitively and quite nicely, recognising and evaluating my points and creating very knowledgfull and convinceing responses.

If You are the Fanbase that plays this game, then that gives me enough hope. :thumbsup:

P.S.(Except for you Mikedepreston.....jerkface :happy: )

It's probably because at some point most of the people of these forums have feared-at some point- what you were saying (TES becoming- Call of Duty: Skyrim), but have then see that BSG has invested far too much in this title alone to let that happen.

You're right as well, it is encouraging to see people know -not think- that BSG has their heads screwed on.

Think about what you DO know on the side of depth,

They added tons of puzzles, and traps. They gave us a whole new language to translate. They brought back the dwemer and their mystery. They have added new depth to the mystery of the falmer. Spells are now tomes that are both rare and powerful. They have brought back the Morrowind style faction system. (first few quests are simple and not demanding in skill, yet you have to show interest in the skill in order to get offered into the faction).

The depth and possibilities are tantalizing.

Think about what you DO know on the side of depth,

They added tons of puzzles, and traps. They gave us a whole new language to translate. They brought back the dwemer and their mystery. They have added new depth to the mystery of the falmer. Spells are now tomes that are both rare and powerful. They have brought back the Morrowind style faction system. (first few quests are simple and not demanding in skill, yet you have to show interest in the skill in order to get offered into the faction).

The depth and possibilities are tantalizing.

That sounded a lot better than my post :wallbash:

They added tons of puzzles, and traps.

That's what worries me. TES has never been big on puzzles, and I don't want 'em in Skyrim. I am far from being stupid, but I am no good at the kind of puzzles that I have seen in some other games. So I do hope that there will be alternatives to the puzzles (like fight an enemy), or I can foresee either heavy use of the console, resorting to the game guide or worse.

They added tons of puzzles, and traps.

That's what worries me. TES has never been big on puzzles, and I don't want 'em in Skyrim. I am far from being stupid, but I am no good at the kind of puzzles that I have seen in some other games. So I do hope that there will be alternatives to the puzzles (like fight an enemy), or I can foresee either heavy use of the console, resorting to the game guide or worse.

Morrowind was full of mazes and intricates. Puzzles not so much. And the puzzles are probably trap related. I think thay will be interesting

But if they are the only way to progress through a game and you are no good at puzzles like I am, it will kill the game for people like me, and I'm going to end up putting the game down and going back to Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas.

I remember there was a riddle in Morrowind where you had to answer questions posed by a flame atronach, IIRC you could either save just before and then reload until you got the right answer, or potentially fight them if you got it wrong. The trouble is that if they are things like block twisting/pushing puzzles there are potentially too many combinations.

The odd thing is that I am patient enough to play the sneaky game and sneak past/use stealthy tactics on myriads of enemies, but not with puzzles. I guess anything that smacks of math makes my eyes glaze over.

Well I guess there's always the console, the cheat guide or my friends on Nexus for spoilers....

In all honesty...this was the most dissapointing interview i have ever seen.That interviewer, and the pace of the show, and the fact that it was on Spike all just screamed one thing to me...

Hack N Slash.

The Elder Scrolls truly skyrocketed with Oblivion's release as to the fact it was available to both PC and Consoles for the first time <Morrowind=xbox only>.

Only thing you got wrong is that morrowind was not console only.....:P

I wont comment on whether or not they are appealing to the hack n slash crowd until I play it. Most review videos show just the hack,slash, cast cool spell, look at vistas, and repeat. The interview was rather lame though, but they must be tired from all the time they have invested (hopefully).

I've seen the exact same thing. A topic was posted on another forum board I visit frequently asking people what they would do first in Skyrim. A disappointing majority of the answers were "kill everything." "Wow, that sounds incredibly boring," I thought to myself. I wouldn't worry about it though. Actually, the reason games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim have so much raw bucktoothed "derp kill everyone" appeal is the fact that you aren't really supposed to do that in the first place.

I can't help feeling like the "kill everything" approach to gaming is just juvenile. Bethesda spends three years trying to make a living, immersive world with radiant quest AI and tons of quests and dungeons and diversions, gorgeous vistas and over 60.000 lines of voiced dialogue and you're response to that is that you want to run around and kill farmers and bar maids? I'm sorry, but are you 10 years old? It's like going into a four star restaurant ordering pizza or peanut butter and jelly. -Anyway, that's pretty much how I feel about the "kill everything" crowd.

I can't help feeling like the "kill everything" approach to gaming is just juvenile. Bethesda spends three years trying to make a living, immersive world with radiant quest AI and tons of quests and dungeons and diversions, gorgeous vistas and over 60.000 lines of voiced dialogue and you're response to that is that you want to run around and kill farmers and bar maids? I'm sorry, but are you 10 years old? It's like going into a four star restaurant ordering pizza or peanut butter and jelly. -Anyway, that's pretty much how I feel about the "kill everything" crowd.

Just another reason why no multiplayer is a good thing. Let those idiots kill everything. It's on their game and it won't affect us. And hey, it's $60 for Bethesda. Winners galore.