Custom helmet mesh disappears at low camera angles.

Seibetsu

Hey, first-time model importer here, I've been pulling my hair out for a week trying to get this crappy test helmet I made into fallout to learn the process and get used to using all of these programs, and I'm running into error after error and slowly solving them as I go along, but I can't wrap my head around this latest issue I'm having. I'll put the images behind a spoiler to prevent clutter:

http://i.imgur.com/FhLwWKU.jpg

Shitty helmet I made in like an hour, looks fine (for what it is)

http://i.imgur.com/wyjW3Yx.png

Slightly lower angle

http://i.imgur.com/sntns9A.png

Low angle from the back

http://i.imgur.com/LMGteGO.jpg

High angle, where it's fine again

I've included a zip file containing the mod if someone wants to look at it, in case the fix isn't as obvious as I hope it is. I've searched around as much as I could but I only get kind-of-relevent-but-not-really issues from other people and threads like this one but they've been dead for months with no answers. The helmet is in a metal box next to a skeleton against an overturned vehicle right outside of vault 111. There is no GO model yet.

Here's my process, by the way, in case it matters. It's a bit ridiculous, but I've been throwing myself at this wall for an entire week now and this has been the only process that has let me get a model in-game intact.

- Create the model in Maya. UV and texture in maya, too.

- Export as OBJ

- Import reference mesh (in this case, the Metal Helmet nif) into Max with default settings using niftools, complete with bones

- Using Max, set up the mesh's BS SubIndex Modifier, and skin the helmet to the two bones I imported with the metal helmet (HEAD and Head_Skin)

- Export as NIF with default settings.

- Open outfit studio, import the Metal Helmet nif and my custom helmet nif and position the custom mesh around to match.

- Export the custom helmet mesh as a nif.

- Back to outfit studio, start a new project and load the aforementioned metal helmet in as a reference

- Import the custom helmet mesh, which is now a nif

- copy weights, making sure there's no area of the mesh that isn't weighted to a bone

- export as nif

- Over in Nifskope, I open the file up and go through the process of moving the metal helmet's BSLightingShaderProperties over (you can see that this worked properly because of the pictures)

- Make sure the bounding sphere is over the entire mesh

- Save file

- Set up folder heirarchy properly so that the mod actually works

- Make the mod in Creation kit, copying the previously mentioned metal helmet with a new ID and replacing the AA with one of my own.

- Save .esp, load up the game, and the result is the pictures I've posted.

I really hope the fix is just something obvious I've overlooked, I'm really not looking forward to doing this process over for the 4th time today but I will if I have to. Please respond!

e: Extreme zoom-ins also cause the mesh to disappear, so there's something wrong with my clipping but I'm not nearly fluent enough in nifskope to even no where to begin fix that, if it's a problem with my nif to begin with. Should I cross-post this thread into mod troubleshooting?

Edited by Seibetsu

I have the exact same problem on my helmet. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be something obvious, ive searched everything about this and made one or two posts on some forums but no one really had a clue. Some one mentioned it could be the rigging, ajusting that actually worked and stopped the disappearing on my chest peace and the legs but unfortunately no matter what i do the helmet keeps disappearing.

It might be the _facebones file thats missing, however some helmets in the game dont even have that and i couldnt find anything in the creation kit where the facebone nifs are listed, so i couldnt change that.

What about the rigging did you adjust, exactly? As far as I can tell, my mesh is rigged in the same way any other helmet would be, so I wouldn't know what to change. Then again if it didn't work for your helmet it might not matter, but I'm grasping at straws, here.

As for the facebones file, I did some research and it seems like it's only really used to adjust the mesh to fit different face-types, like a morph target. With a full-face helmet like my own it shouldn't matter (I verified this by checking out other full-face helmets like the Flight Helmet and they didn't have a facebones nif)

I did this for the leg, the problem occured when i only used the transfer weights but the rigging was way of anyway, so after i adjusted everything so it moves right it worked. My helmet also is exactly rigged as the flight helmet but it just doesnt seem to work. I also tried only using the HEAD bone and giving the Head_skin bone no weight at all which is for example the case for the mining helmet but it just didnt work. Ive also noticed that other closed face helmet dont use it but at this point id be willing to give anything a try...

Yeah this last bit is killing me, I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. My mesh and the example mesh I'm using (the metal helmet) are about as close as the same as they can be, I'm not seeing in nifskope that would cause this kind of problem to happen. I'm getting pretty desperate too. I'm so close!

Seibetsu - Hello!

Well I'm familiar with Fallout 3 meshes & not up on changes to them in Fallout 4 so this may not be of help.

But the disappearing at different view angles sounds a bit like a problem caused by an incorrect Radius setting within the .nif.

The Radius setting in the NiTriStrips' NiTriStripsData tells the game how big the model is.

If this Data is incorrect than the game can end up thinking the model is a different size than it really is.

If it's told the model is smaller than it really is it will cull it when it thinks it's out of view, at the edge of the screen.

Normally happens when a NiTriStrip is enlarged in Nifskope without going to Radius & right clicking it - Mesh - Update Center/Radius.

Can also happen if the mesh has been resized in a 3d program like Blender.

Another place to check other than the Radius setting is the Scale in the affected part's NiTriStrip & seeing if it's more than 1.0000 with the Raius not apropriately updated.

Normally you can fix it in Nifskope by right clicking the affected NiTriStrip & - Transform - Apply.
Then updating the Radius as mentioned above.

Or fix in Blender by importing the hat part, right click the affected part to select & press Ctrl A, from the menu select - Scale & Rotation to ObData.

But as I say, I'm not up on the new techniques of Fallout 4 so this may not apply so back up your mesh before trying.

Just thought I'd mention it since no solution has cropped up from someone with more Fallout 4 experience.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hey, thanks for the help!

There's apparently a lot more to the nifs that they added in Fallout 4 to make 1-to-1 translations with problems a bit difficult. A big thing is that armor meshes no longer use NiTriStrips, but BSSubIndexTriShapes, in order to contain the new data. I was hoping your solution would work either way, but we run into a snag almost immediately:

http://i.imgur.com/FhFQNya.png

The only Radius setting is nested in the Bounding Sphere, which from what I gather from tutorials and from your post is the crux of the problem I'm having, since it's used to display the mesh itself in-game. If it's wrong, the mesh will cast shadows but won't actually appear in-game, which is the problem I'm having. Everywhere I've read says that the bounding box sphere should cover the entire mesh, which is the way mine is, but I'm also looking at some other helmet mods and some of them have their bounding box radius set to 0, so I have no idea what's going on.

http://i.imgur.com/AsP1KYa.png

I don't have an option to update the center and radius anywhere in nifskope, so I guess I'll mess with the bounding box by hand and see if I can get some sort of result. Thanks for the help regardless!

Edited by Seibetsu

As far as i know armors dont really use a bounding shpere, thats why its set to 0 on the vanilla meshes, so i dont really think thats the problem. Besides that i already tried just about everything with that bounding sphere and unfortunately as i expected it, it didnt change a thing.

I am having this EXACT issue, except that I'm creating "body paint" overlays for various creatures instead of a helmet. The body paint will appear when I'm staring directly at the creature, then disappear as I look away a bit.

Some PLEASE help us! This has been driving me mad!