BEGIN GameMode<br>
<br>
    if GetCombatTarget<br>
        set rCombatTarget to GetCombatTarget<br>
    endif<br>
<br>
;    If (GetDistance rCombatTarget <= 100 )<br>
;        If (GetDistance Player >= 500 )<br>
;            placeatme SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1     ; I tried both placeatme and the kill line below it, and for some reason <br>
;            kill                                    ; whenever these are enabled the above script will not function anymore<br>
;        EndIf<br>
;    EndIf<br>
    <br>
END ; GameMode<br>
<br>
<br>
BEGIN OnDeath<br>
        If (GetDistance Player >= 500 )<br>
            placeatme SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1<br>
        EndIf<br>
        disable<br>
        markfordelete<br>
<br>
END ; OnDeath<br>

<br><br><br><br>ok so you see the commented out section???<br>if its active the script will not return a value for rCombatTarget <br>if its commented out like it is rCombatTarget  gets set the way its supposed to and works do do what i want mostly..<br>its cool that they detonate when they die (was the original plan) but i wasnt to trigger that death manually bill the killactor script

<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Oh! also i should remember to add that this creature is created via PlaceAtMe so getSelf is out the window</div><div>im wondering if there is some issue going on here related to this</div><div>(i hope this isnt a case where the functions reference parameters are not optional, ive looked but cant find anything on it)</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

crap i edited the message and the site bugged out leaving that^^ ill retype and repost the message in a minute

Edited by angelwraith

SCN SUBcazadorScript

ref rCombatTarget

BEGIN GameMode

if GetCombatTarget
 set rCombatTarget to GetCombatTarget
endif
If (GetDistance rCombatTarget <= 100 )
 If (GetDistance Player >= 500 )
  placeatme SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1
  kill
 EndIf
EndIf
END

BEGIN OnDeath

EndIf
disable
markfordelete
END

Srry, just reposting it without all the damn controll characters everywhere. Happens to me all the time, I've found writing the scripts in notepad and copying them in saves a heap of time when using codebox. I'm looking at it now, will edit if I find anything.

SCN SUBcazadorScript

ref rCombatTarget 

BEGIN GameMode

if GetCombatTarget
endif

;	If (GetDistance rCombatTarget <= 100 )
;		If (GetDistance Player >= 500 )
;			kill  ; I tried both placeatme and the kill line below it, and for some reason
;			placeatme SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1  ; whenever either of these are enabled the above script will not function anymore
;		EndIf
;	EndIf

END ; GameMode

BEGIN OnDeath
	EndIf
	disable
	markfordelete

END ; OnDeath

ok so you see the commented out section??? if its active the script will not return a value for rCombatTarget, if its commented out like it is rCombatTarget it gets set the way its supposed to and works and does what i want mostly.. its cool that they detonate when they die (was the original plan) but i wasnt to trigger that death manually with the killactor script when they get close to their targets. so i really need that section of code to not be commented out an be woking but either damage from the explosion killing them or the killactor (kill) command.

Oh! also i ;should ;remember to add that this creature is created via PlaceAtMe so getSelf is out the window im wondering if there is some issue going on here related to this (i hope this isnt a case where the functions ;reference ;parameters are not optional, ive looked but cant find anything on it)

any and all help/ideas are appreciated!! thank you.

@ Skevitj

oh hey thanks!! didnt see that and went through myself and redid it, thanks for getting something understandable back up so quickly.. yeah its notepad++ from now on before i upload any comments.. love the formating it provides.. and when im dealing with script(often am) it makes it look natural to me before i post so i know ive not missed anything.

SCN SUBcazadorScript

ref rCombatTarget

BEGIN GameMode

If (IsInCombat==0)
 return	
endif
If (GetDistance rCombatTarget > 100 )
 return
endif
If (GetDistance Player < 500 )
 return
endif
;PlaceAtMe SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1
kill
END

BEGIN OnDeath

If (GetDistance Player < 500 )
 return
endif
PlaceAtMe SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1
disable
markfordelete
END

I didn't really change much other than rearranging the logic and using IsInCombat instead of a null return from GetCombatTarget, but chuck that in and see if it works. I've got a feeling it's got something to do with it not liking how you're doing GetCombatTarget.

If that doesn't work, try changing

to

set rCombatTarget to this.GetCombatTarget

wouldnt the returns prevent the ondeath block from firing? its need to be free to fire whenever they die.. its pretty much the main point. like if someone shoots it before it hits the trigger zone. additionally using the refrence 'this' is exactly the same thing as using getself, its actually the shorthand for it, which when being used on creatures that were spawned with placeatme like these never returns a true value.. this is what the geck wiki reads and i can confirm it with testing in console and the creature variables never getting set.

yeah i just tested it, its a no go. rCombatTarget is returning a null value.

Edited by angelwraith

there is no other way to spawn them.. unless i am moving persistant references.. which is a no go as i dont want to deal with resurrecting and moving them each time.

so i went a completely different route that instead of using distance it relies on time/damage and im pretty happy with the results.

thanks for trying to help me figure this out though.. i really wish i knew why the game would quit acknowledging one bit of code because another bit is enabled after it.. i want to know why those lines prevent it from returning that variable.. that in their absence works as planned... soo confusing.

The getDistance function may be halting the script when rCombatTarget is null. It's a good idea to make sure a reference is non zero before performing functions on it

SCN SUBcazadorScript

ref rCombatTarget 

BEGIN GameMode

if (rCombatTarget)
	if (GetDistance rCombatTarget <= 100 )
		if (GetDistance Player >= 500 )
			kill  ; I tried both placeatme and the kill line below it, and for some reason
			placeatme SUBMiniNukeExplosion 1  ; whenever either of these are enabled the above script will not function anymore
		EndIf
	EndIf
endif

END ; GameMode

BEGIN OnDeath

EndIf
           	disable
           	markfordelete

END ; OnDeath

That wont make a difference rickerhk, have a look at the script I posted above, does pretty much the same thing, only gets/evaluates a combat target if there's a combat target to get. The problem seems to be in how the functions interact with a dynamically created creature.

PlaceAtMe seems to be more trouble than it's worth, I had problems a while ago trying to assign ownership and other attributes to a dynamically created projectile... Ran into problems which seem very similar to these ones, never did figure out a way to get around it.

Oh well, guess the best I can hope for is that one day they'll replace the scripting language with a compiled one and open up some more of the lower level stuff. It would be real useful to be able to code your own functions with the GECK, so you know how they actually work.