Elder Scrolls Noob - Few Questions about Magic

IrishBiscuit

Hey guys :)

So I am coming over from the Fallout series ( played them all extensively ) so i am not quite sure on the magic aspect of The Elder Scrolls.

I plan on playing a Mage, as its something I have never done in a video game before, and because it looks quite fun , and I think I will choose Altmer as my race??

But I am unsure of what some of the skills are :/

If you could give me a brief description of the following, then I will be forever in your debt :) lol

Alteration

Conjuration

Enchanting

Restoration

I also hear there is five schools of magic? what are these, and where in Skyrim may i find them?

Also, what is the Mage Guild and where can I find it ?

Sorry for been a pest :)

I've kept a pretty detailed post about the skills and spells, so go ahead and check it out:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/420437-the-18-skills-of-skyrim/

:)

Does that help?

And welcome to the Nexus Forums, IrishBiscuit! I like your name haha.

I've kept a pretty detailed post about the skills and spells, so go ahead and check it out:

Does that help?

Ah ok, your post sorted out my little problem, I understand the basic principles behind each one now :)

Cheers dude

Does that help?

Ah ok, your post sorted out my little problem, I understand the basic principles behind each one now :)

Cheers dude

You're welcome! So which mage skills sound good to you?

Oh, and I never answered your question about the location of the Mages Guild. It's called the College of Winterhold, and it's in the city of Winterhold. Here's the map.

... brief overview...

Destruction- Fire, frost, lightning... and anything else "harmful"

Restoration- Classically its been healing and cures, however now this school has turn undead (which scares away undead)

Illusion (my persona favorite)- The School of the mind. It involves optical and mental illusions and mind control

Alteration- Physical alteration to the world. Increasing gravity on an NPC, lightening gravity on yourself, walking/ breathing water, seeing "auras" through walls and total paralysis

Conjuration- The summoning of things from other realms or the manipulation of souls. So conjure weightless, powerful weapons, and creatures, reanimate dead bodies, trap souls in gems.

Then there is the 6th skill but it isnt a school. Enchant- Imbuing an item with another's soul in order to grant it the ability to have magikal effects on the target or user.

Magic doesnt really compare to FO game skills. Magika is a powerful, but limited resource. In all honesty many people love basic destruction magic, but in my opinion it isnt the most useful. Players who notice patterns will like mages better than not. I mean to compare to FO3... if a thief is a sniper and a Warrior has an assault rife, a mage would be big guns... flame thrower for some enemies, minigun for others. It is very powerful, but has to be used properly to be effective. My personal favorite... make enemies fight eachother (command or frenzy) then paralyze the survivor, summon a big monster... turn invisible and walk away. I do 0 fighting... and yet everything is dead. :)

Does that help?

Cheers dude

You're welcome! So which mage skills sound good to you?

Oh, and I never answered your question about the location of the Mages Guild. It's called the College of Winterhold, and it's in the city of Winterhold. Here's the map.

Im probably going to go with : Illusion , Destruction and Enchanting. :)

... brief overview...

Destruction- Fire, frost, lightning... and anything else "harmful"

Restoration- Classically its been healing and cures, however now this school has turn undead (which scares away undead)

Illusion (my persona favorite)- The School of the mind. It involves optical and mental illusions and mind control

Alteration- Physical alteration to the world. Increasing gravity on an NPC, lightening gravity on yourself, walking/ breathing water, seeing "auras" through walls and total paralysis

Conjuration- The summoning of things from other realms or the manipulation of souls. So conjure weightless, powerful weapons, and creatures, reanimate dead bodies, trap souls in gems.

Then there is the 6th skill but it isnt a school. Enchant- Imbuing an item with another's soul in order to grant it the ability to have magikal effects on the target or user.

Magic doesnt really compare to FO game skills. Magika is a powerful, but limited resource. In all honesty many people love basic destruction magic, but in my opinion it isnt the most useful. Players who notice patterns will like mages better than not. I mean to compare to FO3... if a thief is a sniper and a Warrior has an assault rife, a mage would be big guns... flame thrower for some enemies, minigun for others. It is very powerful, but has to be used properly to be effective. My personal favorite... make enemies fight eachother (command or frenzy) then paralyze the survivor, summon a big monster... turn invisible and walk away. I do 0 fighting... and yet everything is dead. :)

My personal favorite... make enemies fight eachother (command or frenzy) then paralyze the survivor, summon a big monster... turn invisible and walk away. I do 0 fighting... and yet everything is dead. :)

That sounds amazing :)