Question for the modding gods here

markalreadyknows

Hi everybody! So the story here is that I really want to get my girlfriend into Skyrim when it comes out. Problem is, she's arachnophobic (a real one). She can't even handle pictures of CG spiders. And we've all already seen the footage, and know that there are going to be huge spider monsters in Skyrim. I'm totally willing to go in there and learn to make a mod that will replace all spiders with some other monster of appropriate level. The question I have for you guys is, how hard is that going to be? Any tips would also be uber appreciated.

Thanks. :)

It should be a piece of cake lol. All I can imagine you have to do is just go into the construction set, monster tab find each spider creature then in each of their specifications find were thier textures and meshes are drawn from then just reroute it to.. well.. anything else... lol

I'm not extremely experienced with this but I'm pretty sure that's about how hard it will be

Edited by blackhalo321

Yeah, I was worried about just taking them out of the game entirely. Just in case there would be, like, a big badass spider at the end of a dungeon, but when she gets there there's nothing. Thanks a lot for all the advice, guys! :) I just gotta figure this thing out, and we should be good to go. Any idea how long it'll be for the modding tools to be released?

Yeah, I was worried about just taking them out of the game entirely. Just in case there would be, like, a big badass spider at the end of a dungeon, but when she gets there there's nothing. Thanks a lot for all the advice, guys! :) I just gotta figure this thing out, and we should be good to go. Any idea how long it'll be for the modding tools to be released?

just leave the spiders ingame... a person needs to face thier fears. otherwise they will never grow. thats my opinion anyhow.

of course, all these years later, im only marginally less afraid of heights, despite that Im always climbing something.

Just find a different model to replace them. But if she's the deathly afraid of them wouldn't the word so and so spider show up and freak her out even? Which then could lead to her fear into mudcrabs which look like crabs so you would have made her afraid of crabs as well. I know I'm going a little extreme but with a phobia it's completely possible.

Better to just see how they're used (probably leveled lists), and replace the entries for non-unique ones with other creatures, like trolls, within the same level range. For unique ones, you might have a harder task on your hands and may need to dig into the related scripting and monster definitions to make a new monster, add in the proper loot/scripts, replace the world reference, and adjust any external scripts as needed. It won't do much good about the sorts of environment and other stuffs related to spiders (potentially quite a lot) but it would be something.

But, on the plus side, there are many people who have this phobia, so some sort of fix would probably be done before long.

just leave the spiders ingame... a person needs to face thier fears. otherwise they will never grow. thats my opinion anyhow.

of course, all these years later, im only marginally less afraid of heights, despite that Im always climbing something.

No. Psychology has proven that most phobias can't be cured with exposure. It just makes people panic and cry.

Regular fears can be cured this way, but not true phobias. Try shutting a claustrophobic person in a tiny box and see what happens. (hint; they won't get over their fear)