Alternative uses for skills

TroloWiseEared

50 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favored Archetype

• The Warrior
    • The Mage
    • The Thief
    • The Chef

In nearly all Elder Scrolls installments, a skill is a statistical representation of your ability and efficiency in an action. Now i have noticed a common occurence with skills in Oblivion (& potentially Skyrim) :Skills seem to only function in specific situations. There is very little crossover, and were there was, it was poorly done.

Take Lockpicking for example (skyrim) : Bethesda had to choose really hard as to which six skills will be included in the thief archetype. So why in Aether would they ever choose lockpicking? it is a Skill which is seemingly applicable ONLY in that one minigame. It cannot be used in combat in any way. So why did they not simply fold in its perks with the Sneak skill?...Unless....unless skills ARE applicable outside of ther previous zones.

Are there possible unconventional ways i can apply lockpicking to other situations?

-

The Obstacle standing Before you is a locked door.

It would be easy to simply pick the lock, But what if the door is barred or you have no picks on you?

...the skilled alchemist could concoct a corrosive potion and apply it to the lock to break it.

...The powerful warrior could use his Warhammer and break the door down, alerting everyone on the other side of an intruder.

...The assassin could use his dagger as a improvised lockpick(albeit much less efficient than a pick itself)

...or finally the Mage could Burn the frame of the wooden door, or if he wished a sneakier approach, Freeze the lock itself and then smash it.

-

----

There are many, many creative applications to be used by a player out of his comfort zone. below is a list of ideas of unconventional application.

Please do add onto it :thumbsup:

------

Alchemy:

*Create Explosives/ bombs

2 Handed:

*The size of your weapon will intimidate foes. Potenitially detering confrontation <carry a big stick>

* Force open doors/ containers

*Speechcraft:

*Throw your voice while sneaking to distract guards

Destruction:

*Create defensive barriers out of ice

Light Armor:

*Put uniforms overtop your armor to infiltrate groups

Heavy Armor:

*Ramming doors is much more effective

*Wearing a full suit makes you 40% harder to Pickpocket

----------------------

YOU GUYS AND YOUR AWESOME IDEAS :teehee:

-

ARCHERY

*Arrows can be used to attract a guards attention

ALCHEMY

*Nonlethal sleep potion.<must be undetected to apply>

DESTRUCTION

*Master Frost spells aimed at the feet can freeze a foes feet in place.

LOCKPICKING

*High skill in this will allow you to conceal small weapons or items upon search.

Edited by TroloWiseEared

I must admit, I've often thought that there should be alternate uses for different skills...Especially in prisons, where i believe that there should be a way to get out for each play style and not just lockpicking or alteration. But then again...that's what mods are for :D

Frost spell (if the caster is master at destruction) to have a chance of permanently freeze the opponent (something like 5%).

Arrows attracting attention of nearby enemies on impact on stone, metal, wood etc (if they miss of course)

Sneak to allows you to blend in with enemies if you wear armor stolen from one of them

Are there possible unconventional ways i can apply lockpicking to other situations?

You could use a lockpick as a weapon? Theres a RL martial arts weapon called an Emei Piercer that is similar and would fit with being a lockpick because it's designed to be unnoticed. Samurai used to have them/or similar in places they wasn't allowed weapons.

http://www.wle.com/products/W265.html

I have a set :biggrin:

You could use a lockpick as a weapon? Theres a RL martial arts weapon called an Emei Piercer that is similar and would fit with being a lockpick because it's designed to be unnoticed. Samurai used to have them/or similar in places they wasn't allowed weapons.

Bahahaha nerd. I only have a plastic sword for my Halloween costume.

Bahahaha nerd. I only have a plastic sword for my Halloween costume.

Ninja nerd...........

With shuriken that make a 'chikawowwow' noise as the whistle through the air......