Bill S.978

SgtHallMonitor

I'll leave the more in depth discussion to some of the more politically interested folks on the Nexus. However for those who don't know I'll give an extremely basic overview of this bill (and I mean basic).

How many of you enjoy commentators? Maybe the occasional Machinima series, or perhaps a more specific youtube director? Well if our lovely government has it's way, the laws of Fair Use will be non existent.

Fair Use allows us to take copyrighted material and make it our own content (legally... for now). I'll post a link to the documentation if you're interested. If the bill is passed being a commentator will become illegal. Thusly the gaming entertainment industry will be taking a huge hit, and we won't be allowed to receive said entertainment, or produce it.

Here's an example. If I were to say be filming a little vlog in my car, and a song comes on the radio and I start jamming, while still filming myself (I know, what a dork hahaha), then upload this vlog to youtube: I am eligible for 5 years in federal prison. No exaggeration.

How about another example, more common to everyday people.

Say I'm a musician (which I am), and I wish to perform a cover of a song I enjoy (I have a terrible voice, so don't get your hopes up ;) ). Now a few months into the future the bill is passed, I am now again eligible for 5 years in federal prison.

I despise politics. If you talk to me for any great amount of time, you'll find this out (simply cause I don't talk about it). But this affects me and many of my friends and most of us on the forums, so I thought I would bring it up. It isn't about Skyrim specifically, but this area of the forum has the most traffic. If it is against the rules to post this here, I apologize. However, we do have a voice against this (thank goodness). So if you are interested, take a good look at these websites and decide for yourself. The first will be the petition Ignore the people who put the thing together, their methods are stupid but the petition is still important and the most popular so it has the most voice. The second link will be the legal documents of Fair Use.

http://freebieber.org/

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Never gonna pass. Don't sweat it.

just ask these questions.

1. will anyone already extremely rich profit off of it passing? if yes ~90% chance it will pass

2. will it piss off people with voting power/money? if yes a good push towards not passing

3. will it make anyone with money look good but do nothing to hurt them? if yes a small push towards passing

4. will it distract people from major issues? if yes odds say its just hype and going no were

welcome to American politics.

I'd say this falls under 4 so is just gonna be flaunted around like gay marriage untill people forget that 1% of the people in America have over 60% of the money or that we are polluting the air to the point were it is going to be unbreathable in 5 generations (or so my AP enviornment/physics teacher has claimed)... and are actually passing laws to make it go a wee bit faster

Edited by Alistat

Well, if it does pass, apparently you can ask the company that owns the game/music if you can present it on Youtube, meaning the Bill does not necessarily impact us if we allow Bethesda to allow us.

Then watch how violently it gets repealed when the music/gaming/etc industries are *innundated* with phone calls, emails, and faxes requesting permission to upload commentaries.. :devil:

Kidding of course, just theorizing..

Well, if it does pass, apparently you can ask the company that owns the game/music if you can present it on Youtube, meaning the Bill does not necessarily impact us if we allow Bethesda to allow us.

Then watch how violently it gets repealed when the music/gaming/etc industries are *innundated* with phone calls, emails, and faxes requesting permission to upload commentaries.. :devil:

Kidding of course, just theorizing..

If all the people that currently use media under fair use were to write and ask for permission for each clip they put up, the industry would have to automatically reject all (not really a good thing in the long run, given how much free commercial they get from it) or make their own fair-use-licenses that they distribute their media under. Sadly, I could totally see them preferring to decide on their own fair-use rules.

So it's not as simple as asking for permission. When it comes to IP, my experience is that you need to go through a lot a difficult text to understand just who owns the IP. A lot of legal disputes lay ahead if this bill were to pass.