Winterhold Worries

shroudsoftruin

I generally play a mage character, sometimes with a little stealth, or archery thrown in, but as a role there is always magic involved. (i was one of those awkward kids who played harry potter on the playground until like 5th grade). needless to say I'm thrilled about Skyrim, the overhaul of the magic system, the sparkly headresses/tiara things, the awesome looking staves, etc. All are great. my one concern is this: I'm terrified the college of winterhold quest is going to be a carbon copy of the (horrible) mage's guild quest. excuse me for getting tired of exploring cave, after cave, AFTER CAVE of necromancers and zombies. There was no soul to it at all. It seems like the other factions are becoming more rugged, and edgy, but when todd mentioned necromancers in an interview a while back, my blood ran cold. is it too much to ask for a little depth? i want the college of winterhold to be for Skyrim what the dark brotherhood was for oblivion. any other people concerned? That this or any other faction will directly mirror the predecessor?

It sounds more in-depth. I believe a previewer described the entry quest as being dynamic; it changes depending on what type of magic you specialize in.

I had not really thought about it, though now that you mention it, that is a cause for a measure of concern. But if I may be perfectly honest, I found the whole conceptual implementation of magic in Oblivion rather mediocre, and the improvements we've seen in the trailers so far gives me high hopes for Skyrim. From what I understand about the game, this is exactly what Bethesda has been looking to improve since Oblivion - engaging roleplay, intricate storylines and impressive visuals. The simple fact that it's called the College of Winterhold, rather than just the "Mages Guild", promises a lot more character than could be found in the previous game.

I also recall hearing about a spell shield - which I hope means that it blocks an opponent's spell as opposed to letting the spell hit you and letting your characters spell reflection/absorption/resistance abilities deal with it. I hope it will be possible to duel in magic - not just with swords...lit could lead to some pretty spectacular battles.

It sounds more in-depth. I believe a previewer described the entry quest as being dynamic; it changes depending on what type of magic you specialize in.

Wow that sounds really cool :turned:. Do you remember which previewer it was? Btw I like your sig. 8)