Extremely Bad News for PC users who live ahead of PST timezone.

bkmorton

Ok, we'll have to wait for a few hours, I don't see the problem. We have been waiting for a whole year after all, half a day won't kill us.

For the freakishly obsessed Elder Scrolls fans like myself, those additional 19 hours I have to wait will be torture. *wink

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a new policy or just exclusive to Skyrim? Cause my cousin downloaded Stronghold 3 on steam and was playing it before it would have been released elsewhere, hell the retail version isn't even available in Aus yet. It seems to me that games unlock to your timezone and it's just that it will be the same for retail edition

Edit; i must be blind, if that is a copy paste of their reply, where does it mention the locking of the game to PST 12am for all zones?

Edited by 3WINTERS

Well as I am right in the middle so to speak, in the UK, I'll be able to play when I roll out of bed on the morning of the 11th. I would imagine that Steam as usual will allow you to preload the game if you pre-ordered on Steam - I did this, purely because it meant I paid upfront whilst I had the money (knowing that I was going to be made redundant and might not have it closer to release)- and then it will actually unlock and become playable at the appointed hour.

Ironically having paid for the Steam version, it looks like I am going to just be able to stretch to the disk version from Amazon.co.uk as well. I do like to have the disk and the map as well.

Is that a new policy or just exclusive to Skyrim? Cause my cousin downloaded Stronghold 3 on steam and was playing it before it would have been released elsewhere, hell the retail version isn't even available in Aus yet. It seems to me that games unlock to your timezone and it's just that it will be the same for retail editions

It depends on the game, yes. I have had Steam games available before being released in the US before too.

Unfortunately not for Skyrim, it seems. The game I am most anticipating... ever.

I AM A SAD PANDA.

"Skyrim is a Steamworks title. Among other features, this means that retail copies of the game, once registered, will unlock at the same time as Steam-purchased copies. You will be able to install the game contents from a disc prior to the game's launch, which can reduce bandwidth usage. However, the unlock time will be simultaneous for both versions."

Let's break this down, shall we?

Retail copies of the game will unlock at the same time as Steam-purchased copies: All this means is that whether you purchased a physical copy of the game, or purchased it via Steam, it makes no difference; both unlock at the same time.

You will be able to install the game contents from a disc prior to the game's launch: Pretty self-explanatory... you can have the game ready before the game unlocks.

However, the unlock time will be simultaneous for both versions: Like I said before, both the Steam version and the physical version installed on Steam unlock at the same time.

Nowhere in these statements does it say when the game unlocks. Tell me where in it it says that the game unlocks at a universal time across the entire planet.

"Skyrim is a Steamworks title. Among other features, this means that retail copies of the game, once registered, will unlock at the same time as Steam-purchased copies. You will be able to install the game contents from a disc prior to the game's launch, which can reduce bandwidth usage. However, the unlock time will be simultaneous for both versions."

Retail copies of the game will unlock at the same time as Steam-purchased copies: All this means is that whether you purchased a physical copy of the game, or purchased it via Steam, it makes no difference; both unlock at the same time.

You will be able to install the game contents from a disc prior to the game's launch: Pretty self-explanatory... you can have the game ready before the game unlocks.

However, the unlock time will be simultaneous for both versions: Like I said before, both the Steam version and the physical version installed on Steam unlock at the same time.

Nowhere in these statements does it say when the game unlocks. Tell me where in it it says that the game unlocks at a universal time across the entire planet.

Let the rage cease! :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm still unsure; I know the original quoted statement doesn't explicitly describe when, but haven't we all seen different times on the steam counter?

Let the rage cease! :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm still unsure; I know the original quoted statement doesn't explicitly describe when, but haven't we all seen different times on the steam counter?

Ah I wasn't raging at all, just giving a reading comprehension breakdown. :P In any case, I'm not too worried really...I'm in MST, one hour ahead of PST...so I can play at 1 am. If this is all true somehow, then it's a terrible choice on Steam's part, or BSG's if it was theirs...and I feel bad for people that have to wait almost a whole extra day. But, until it's certain, I don't believe it...which is why I broke down Steam's reply.