Oh crap..... I think my game is corrupt

huntsman2310

During these past few weeks ever since my school holidays, Fallout New Vegas was becoming increasingly unstable. At first I thought it was due to the 150+ mods I had clumsily tacked on.

Yeah no turns out that wasn't the problem. My calamity escalated this weekend when I was forced to reinstall FNV, DLC and all, at least four times now.

I'm beginning to think that my vanilla game may be corrupt, because every time after a fresh install, it has to download lost files, repeatedly. Keep in mind this is a retail version.

I'm thinking of just shelving it until the GOTY edition comes around. Hallelujah.

• 1 month later...
you can get weird issues with that many mods (as I did in fo3) even if the game actually does load them. Reinstalling through steam restores mod content as well. try a new merged patch and check for errors in your mods with fnvedit. i know in fo3edit master update fixed a lot of this but im told that's a no-no in new vegas. try deactivating (in fomm package manager, not just unchecking them) anything non essential (items you can console back if you reactivate them, gear you dont wear, houses with nothing in them, etc) then make a new patch and see if the issue improves.

When you reinstall always make sure you do a FULL uninstall. Meaning using CCleaner, going into the registry and removing any old extensions, going into the installation folder removing anything else that may have been left out from the vanilla uninstall. If you fail to do so, reinstall has no meaning as all you basically did was replace your vanilla files.